Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old December 1 2012, 03:35 AM   #1141
throwback
Captain

Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

The physical elements might have been correct in their proportions, but these elements could be distorted on computers. This happens frequently with models where photoshoppers distort the Human form.

This distortion is visible in the screen shot. The deck pieces have been extended. In the original SD shot, the edges of the pieces fall within the beam. In the new shot, the edges of the pieces, especially for Deck 5, considerably falls outside the beam. The beam is the width of the hole.

Another thing missing is the green tractor beam from the Borg ship. If they are honoring the original intentions of the artistic team, why did they then remove this beam? It established that the Enterprise was helpless as a section of its hull was removed.

http://tng.trekcore.com/gallery/albu...16/qwho170.jpg

As for the cutting beam, it was used to cut the hull to a certain depth. When the beam had completed its task, the beam was turned off and a grappling beam was then turned on to take a sample of the starship's hull.

Personally, I felt that the portrayed segment was smaller than dialog indicated, and that there was no effort made to depict the crew people who were trapped in that segment.

Worf: "Coming in, sir. Sections twenty seven, twenty eight, twenty nine on decks four, five, and six destroyed."
Picard: "Casualties?"
Worf: "Eighteen were in those sectors and are missing."

In my mind, I imagine a larger section of the hull removed, with people trapped. I] think this could have been depicted with small models of Humans in the section.
throwback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2012, 03:49 AM   #1142
Ghostface1701
Commander

throwback wrote: View Post
The physical elements might have been correct in their proportions, but these elements could be distorted on computers. This happens frequently with models where photoshoppers distort the Human form.

This distortion is visible in the screen shot. The deck pieces have been extended. In the original SD shot, the edges of the pieces fall within the beam. In the new shot, the edges of the pieces, especially for Deck 5, considerably falls outside the beam. The beam is the width of the hole.

As for the cutting beam, it was used to cut the hull to a certain depth. When the beam had completed its task, the beam was turned off and a grappling beam was then turned on to take a sample of the starship's hull.
What's more likely - that they resized one particular element of the shot, that was part of the same original model, or the beam (not the cutting beam, you're right) doesn't cover the whole piece in this frame?

"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
Ghostface1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2012, 04:00 AM   #1143
davejames
Vice Admiral

throwback wrote: View Post
Another thing missing is the green tractor beam from the Borg ship. If they are honoring the original intentions of the artistic team, why did they then remove this beam? It established that the Enterprise was helpless as a section of its hull was removed.
We can still see a trace of the green beam, but it's not nearly as pronounced as it was.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2012, 04:17 AM   #1144
throwback
Captain

Well, for me, when the people involved in this project, keep hammering to us that they are honoring the original intention, then I expect that intention to be honored. I can respect changes to fix continuity errors. However, when I see a situation wherein we, the viewers, are placed in a location that is within a green tractor beam, and that beam creates a green 'curtain' which creates a barrier between space and the space inside that beam, then I expect the same effect in the HD edition - only more clearer and intense.

In this shot, I can see the hull reflecting the radiant radiation produced by the beam. In the new shot, the hull is not reflecting the light. Furthermore, in this shot, it can be seen that the beam surrounds the segment of the hull. (I used a piece of paper with a straight edge to see if anything lay outside that beam - the answer was no.) I did the same test with the new shot. Portions of Decks 4 and 5 fall outside the beam. If I can do this test, using what was available at hand, why couldn't they do it at HTV Illuminate?

http://tng.trekcore.com/gallery/albu...16/qwho172.jpg
Old December 1 2012, 04:56 AM   #1145
FelizNavidad
Admiral

View FelizNavidad's Twitter Profile

Man this thread is making me feel dumb. I see both Measure of a Man and the Q Who shots and think they don't look too bad. Then the responses are borderline overreactionary, at least from my perspective. I guess I just don't see what is so "atrociously bad" about either shot.

sjsharksfan39
FelizNavidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2012, 05:03 AM   #1146
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
...and think they don't look too bad.
Problem is how they look when compared with the other seasons. I was on the fence about the look when I went to the theatrical premiere last night. But when you compare the season three teaser to the actual episodes, the season three work is just jaw-dropping. As was season one.

Digital Bits gave the video quality of season one an 'A' grade, season two received a 'B-'.
Old December 1 2012, 05:05 AM   #1147
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747

Really, it doesn't bother me too much. It's pretty minor (and even at times major) niggling things like the window lights not matching the ports on the model, etc. But, overall, I think it looks a heck of a lot better than the SD, VHS-quality DVD versions do. I think I'll survive with some misplaced widow lights and part of a missing tractor beam.
Old December 1 2012, 05:08 AM   #1148
FelizNavidad
Admiral

View FelizNavidad's Twitter Profile

BillJ wrote: View Post
Problem is how they look when compared with the other seasons. I was on the fence about the look when I went to the theatrical premiere last night. But when you compare the season three teaser to the actual episodes, the season three work is just jaw-dropping. As was season one.

Digital Bits gave the video quality of season one an 'A' grade, season two received a 'B-'.
True, but when the complaints are something along the lines of the lights aren't properly aligned, or whatever (What was wrong with the Q Who shot again?), I do think that's overreactionary. I've seen some of the more obvious blunders already (Still think after last night's screening the exterior shots of the Enterprise looked way too white), but it's the less obvious things I'm shaking my head at.

sjsharksfan39
FelizNavidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2012, 05:25 AM   #1149
NewHorizon
Captain

Well, in my opinion, HTV served up the Micky-D's Big Mac of Next Gen Remastering...whereas CBS served up a gourmet burger.

To some, a burger is just a burger, but to others the difference is painfully obvious.
NewHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2012, 05:37 AM   #1150
trekker670
Fleet Captain

DigitalBits wrote:
Audio-wise, the sonic experience of these episodes is excellent – just as good as the Season One Blu-ray release, with episode mixes presented in upgraded 7.1 DTS-HD Master Audio. No complaints there.
Please, let's hope not...
trekker670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2012, 05:50 AM   #1151
throwback
Captain

I am not happy with what I have seen, but this is not stopping me from buying the set. My wish is that CBS had done more research into HTV Illuminate, and come to a determination that this company has proven itself not to be a leader in restoration.

I don't expect professional critics to be accurate in their reviews. Last year, I purchased Skyrim based on critics reviews. Not many of them mentioned that this game was seriously flawed with a lengthy list of bugs. Some of these critics awarded this game with Game of the Year accolades. By August of this year, the game developers had to release seven patches to fix the original game and to fix issues associated with the DLCs.

I don't what it is, but these entertainment companies, to me, seem to rely on the apathy of people who won't complain about their products when there are so few other choices. I favor being vocal, or otherwise we, as purchasers, will have to accept that what we buy will many times be sub-par.
Old December 1 2012, 05:56 AM   #1152
Mott the barber
Commodore

True, but when the complaints are something along the lines of the lights aren't properly aligned, or whatever (What was wrong with the Q Who shot again?), I do think that's overreactionary. I've seen some of the more obvious blunders already (Still think after last night's screening the exterior shots of the Enterprise looked way too white), but it's the less obvious things I'm shaking my head at.
I'd have to agree with you. Look guys, I saw the screening last night and I like to think I have a pretty good eye for some of this stuff. But youre really not going to notice a 2 second flyby shot of the ship and the misaligned composite. I was watching on a giant screen and did not see it even as I was staring at the ship crawl across the screen.

However, and I completely agree with Tomalok...the shipmitself was way too washed out and bright, especially when compared to s1 and the s3 trailer. The over bright ship added to the effect of making the ship seem like it was pasted on top as opposed tom within the scene in the compositing. Honestly, if they would just match the ship lighting to s1, I really wouldn't have noticed any of the other stuff in motion, and I highly doubt most of you would have either.
Old December 1 2012, 06:00 AM   #1153
Mott the barber
Commodore

I will say this, however, the new interior Borg shot looked excellent, especially with the addition of some moving drones on some of the other levels of the cube.
Old December 1 2012, 06:13 AM   #1154
Phily B
Fleet Captain

View Phily B's Twitter Profile

Phily B wrote: View Post
Here is Warf being invisible, sorry I downsized it a bit.

http://i46.tinypic.com/21nikqq.jpg
I don't get it? I see Worf there, standing to the right of Riker.
It looks worse in motion for once, but he is transparent.
Phily B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2012, 06:14 AM   #1155
Phily B
Fleet Captain

View Phily B's Twitter Profile

Mott the barber wrote: View Post
I will say this, however, the new interior Borg shot looked excellent, especially with the addition of some moving drones on some of the other levels of the cube.
I think it mostly looks excellent, I wouldn't have noticed most of it if I hadn't read this thread.
Phily B is offline   Reply With Quote