Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

View Poll Results: Rate Silent Weapons.
Outstanding 37 43.53%
Above Average 33 38.82%
Average 11 12.94%
Below Average 3 3.53%
Poor 1 1.18%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 1 2012, 03:36 AM   #61
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Re: TNG: Silent Weapons by David Mack Review Thread (Spoilers!)

BillJ wrote: View Post
* It's getting tiresome to watch the Picard do whatever he wants with the Enterprise on a whim without there ever being any ramifications for those actions from above.
As long as he keeps saving the day its kind of hard to prosecute him. especially if the people who would have to do so just had their asses pulled out of the fire by him as a result of said day saving.

Besides in a world where Janeway got promoted instead court-martialed Picard facing ramifications from above is kind of hypocritical.
Hartzilla2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2012, 03:42 AM   #62
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
* It's getting tiresome to watch the Picard do whatever he wants with the Enterprise on a whim without there ever being any ramifications for those actions from above.
As long as he keeps saving the day its kind of hard to prosecute him. especially if the people who would have to do so just had their asses pulled out of the fire by him as a result of said day saving.

Besides in a world where Janeway got promoted instead court-martialed Picard facing ramifications from above is kind of hypocritical.
But, like constantly raising people from the dead, it's an overused plot point. They can't figure out how to get the Enterprise involved without it coming off a Picard's personal jet to do with as he pleases?
Old December 1 2012, 03:51 AM   #63
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

coming off a Picard's personal jet to do with as he pleases?
Didn't Paths of Disharmony pretty much say that the Enterprise's current mission profile was go where ever theres a problem and fix it?
Old December 1 2012, 03:56 AM   #64
BillJ
Admiral

Didn't Paths of Disharmony pretty much say that the Enterprise's current mission profile was go where ever theres a problem and fix it?
Which is pretty dumb.
Old December 1 2012, 04:25 AM   #65
JD
Admiral

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it was said somewhere (I'm not sure if it was PoD or Losing the Peace) that the Enterprise was pretty much just going wherever there was a crisis they could help with within the Federation.

Last edited by JD; December 1 2012 at 04:53 AM.
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2012, 05:30 AM   #66
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Which is pretty dumb.
So what they need to have an admiral show up every book to tell Picard what he's supposed to be doing during that book?

Because otherwise I don't see the problem here.
Old December 1 2012, 08:53 AM   #67
CaptainDonovin
Fleet Captain

View CaptainDonovin's Twitter Profile

Just finished & loved it. Gotta stop reading & watching food network (Triple D) @ 1am, craving a good cheeseburger right about now.

Starting Immortal Coil now since I've seen some positive ratings here about it.
Old December 1 2012, 12:00 PM   #68
Dsven43
Ensign

With the Picard doing whatever he wants topic...I have no issue with it. Because (as stated above) he has saved the day more often than not. And he isnt the kind to abuse that power.
Dsven43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2012, 12:29 PM   #69
Defcon
Rear Admiral

View Defcon's Twitter Profile

TerraUnam wrote: View Post
The present-day Unitarian Universalist Church is well known for wearing its politics on its sleeve; it's left-wing, loud and proud. Combined with the political content of the scene, and recent Trek's unsubtle attempt to make thematic commentary on present-day American politics (see Paths of Disharmony), I find Mr. Mack's characterization attempt unsubtle, overreaching and out of place in Trek.
What the Fuck? Mack used one word and that is an unsubtle, overreaching and out of place characterization? You really have to chill, dude.

I read your "criticism" before I read the scene in question and based on your comments I had to assume some kind of several page long Unitarian church commercial was coming (just based on your comments, I know Mack wouldn't do something like that). All kind of religions have been name-checked (and more) over the course of the Star Trek franchise's history and you throw a tantrum because a building was identified as a Unitarian church?
Defcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2012, 01:49 PM   #70
Jarvisimo
Commander

I really enjoyed this, felt it was consistent. Missed more elements of character moments, but the thriller plot was very well done.

Otherwise, a fun, thrilling, addictive book with a fair cost.

Last edited by Jarvisimo; December 1 2012 at 06:35 PM.
Jarvisimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2012, 01:59 PM   #71
Defcon
Rear Admiral

View Defcon's Twitter Profile

Jarvisimo wrote: View Post
Spoilers as I dinnae know how to do the spoiler box thing.
Either [ SPOILER="what the spoiler is about"]Your spoilerish text....[ /SPOILER] (without the spaces I put in their at the beginning of the brackets for it to show).

Or write your text, highlight it and use the last icon over the reply screen (the smiley with x as the mouth).
Defcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2012, 05:07 PM   #72
Markonian
Captain

Having finished reading I would not be surprised if Picard resigned his commission at the end of The Body Electric.

I can see Worf becoming captain and Geordi first officer (shiny red turtleneck). The only problem would be, if Data returned to Starfleet, he could just fill the role of second officer again - no real progress in his career except a new gold pin.

BTW, where is Lal's corpse at the moment? Aboard the Achaeus?
Markonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2012, 06:31 PM   #73
Jarvisimo
Commander

Defcon wrote: View Post
Jarvisimo wrote: View Post
Spoilers as I dinnae know how to do the spoiler box thing.
Either [ SPOILER="what the spoiler is about"]Your spoilerish text....[ /SPOILER] (without the spaces I put in their at the beginning of the brackets for it to show).

Or write your text, highlight it and use the last icon over the reply screen (the smiley with x as the mouth).
Thanks!
Jarvisimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2012, 06:43 PM   #74
SicOne
Commodore

While reading the posts herein and some of you were quibbling back-bitingly about the accuracy of characterizations of real-life Earth religions as applied to Trek fiction, I could not help but notice as I was consuming a Ziploc bag of malted milkballs and Kraft carmels how much they resembled mini-Borg cubes and spheres. Of course, the colors were off and the dimensions were WAYYYY off, but while we're talking about Mack's book and given his work with the Borg, it seemed apt to share my tangentially and marginally relevant observation. As you were, gentlemen.
SicOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2012, 06:56 PM   #75
BillJ
Admiral

SicOne wrote: View Post
While reading the posts herein and some of you were quibbling back-bitingly about the accuracy of characterizations of real-life Earth religions as applied to Trek fiction, I could not help but notice as I was consuming a Ziploc bag of malted milkballs and Kraft carmels how much they resembled mini-Borg cubes and spheres. Of course, the colors were off and the dimensions were WAYYYY off, but while we're talking about Mack's book and given his work with the Borg, it seemed apt to share my tangentially and marginally relevant observation. As you were, gentlemen.