IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old December 1 2012, 01:55 AM   #1
ryan123450
Commodore

View ryan123450's Twitter Profile
Any good Simpsons episodes after Season 9?

I quit watching the Simpsons about 6 years years ago. I was only watching it out of habit for at least 3 years before that. Now I am missing it a bit and thinking about doing a rewatch of the early years. I'm trying to decide when the Simpsons lost "it".

It is definitely a different show now than it was the first few seasons. I know it's been a gradual change, but from looking at an episode list, it seems to me that Season 9 was the last before it turned to total crud.

Can anyone think of any really good episodes that came after Season 9? I haven't been able to.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
ryan123450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2012, 02:07 AM   #2
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

Re: Any good Simpsons episodes after Season 9?

"Good" is very subjective. Depends on your point of view.

I'll throw one out there: Viva Ned Flanders, from Season 10.
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2012, 03:11 AM   #3
CaptainCanada
Admiral

I thought it remained pretty strong through Season 13 (the finale of that year, Poppa's Got A Brand New Badge, I still remember very fondly).

Since then it's produced good stuff, but it's pretty inconsistent.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2012, 03:52 AM   #4
Christopher
Writer

I found that the season or two that came out after the movie were stronger than the show had been in a while. I gather the movie brought back a lot of writers from early seasons and refocused on more substantive, character-driven storytelling rather than just a string of shallow gags, and I think that rubbed off on the show for a while, since there were some good stories here and there for a couple of years. But then it really went downhill again and I completely lost interest.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2012, 03:55 AM   #5
Tosk
Rear Admiral

CaptainCanada wrote: View Post
I thought it remained pretty strong through Season 13 (the finale of that year, Poppa's Got A Brand New Badge, I still remember very fondly).

Since then it's produced good stuff, but it's pretty inconsistent.
I'm basically the same, but 12 is a lot stronger than 13 for me. I used to think 9 or 10 were the last good years, but 12 and 13 both have quite a few good episodes. (And 14 is full of stinkers.) Maybe they look better in retrospect compared to some of the later seasons?
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2012, 04:11 AM   #6
Goji
Rear Admiral

Season 10 has a couple that are tolerable. "Wild Barts Can't Be Broken" is pretty good, until the horrible musical number that ends things. I like most of "Lisa Gets an A" and "Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo". That's pretty much it, actually. Season 11 is terrible all the way through, except for maybe "Last Tap Dance in Springfield". Season 12 has "Trilogy of Error", a relatively creative episode that's not especially funny but it's at least interesting.

But even in the best episodes post season 10, I have a really hard time getting past how unlikable and obnoxious almost all the main characters become. I mean, they were never role models or anything, but Homer especially becomes a constant flaming jackass in season 10 and only rarely goes back. Moe becomes suicidal, Mr. Burns becomes a pushover weakling, Lisa becomes (even more of a) nagging killjoy, Flanders becomes a nearly psychopathic Christian fundamentalist, and in every case nearly everything else about the character is completely forgotten. By season 12 or so I feel like I hardly recognize these people at all anymore. And that was twelve years ago now. Jeez.
Goji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2012, 05:14 AM   #7
ryan123450
Commodore

View ryan123450's Twitter Profile

That was pretty much my realization today as well: The show has been horrible for longer than it was good.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
ryan123450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2012, 05:29 AM   #8
Christopher
Writer

Goji wrote: View Post
...Flanders becomes a nearly psychopathic Christian fundamentalist, and in every case nearly everything else about the character is completely forgotten.
TV Tropes actually uses the term "Flanderization" for when a character becomes a self-caricature built around a single personality trait or gimmick.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2012, 06:23 AM   #9
Masquerade
Rear Admiral

I actually liked season 10, most memorably for the Tokyo episode. I thought it a worthy successor to the Australian episode from season 6. It was 11 where I didn't laugh once. 12 was worse.
Old December 1 2012, 03:03 PM   #10
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

The answer is yes, there are good episodes. They're few and far between, though. But the Simpsons has existed so long that the discussion is really about which seasons are better and which are worse by this point.
Old December 1 2012, 04:15 PM   #11
Geckothan
Fleet Captain

There's probably half a seasons worth of passable episodes after season 9, but seeing as I can't even remember which seasons they're from let alone their titles, they aren't exactly classics.

Has anyone else noticed that the voices started sounding really muffled and distant around season 10? Homer especially. I have to turn the volume up full blast to hear it (which makes the music deafeningly loud in comparison), otherwise it just sounds like all of the characters are mumbling to themselves. I know some of the voices have changed a bit over the years, but seeing as all of them suddenly started having that quality in season 10, maybe they changed some of their equipment around that time or hired someone different to do the mix? That's one of the reasons for newer episodes being unwatchable, at least for me (maybe for others too, without them realising it?).

RIP Star Trek 1964-1999
Geckothan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2012, 05:01 PM   #12
CaptainWacky
Rear Admiral

Behind The Laughter is the last good episode.
Old December 2 2012, 01:57 AM   #13
Mr Light
Admiral

I still enjoy the show. It's not as good as it used to be, but it makes me laugh, and that's all it has to do.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2012, 02:30 AM   #14
SiddFinch1
Commander

I haven't watched regularlyin years. When I tune in some good.moments but quality isn't what it was years ago
Old December 2 2012, 02:31 AM   #15
Screamy
LORD SHIT SUPREME

View Screamy's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Screamy

To answer the op's question: No.

That's a quantifiable fact.