Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by JJ-R, Sep 5, 2012.

1. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

I've definitely lost some respect for certain people involved in this project due to the botched audio on season one and the botched restoration of season two. :(

I definitely believe this would've been a much bigger issue if it was season three that was botched this badly.

2. Ghostface1701

Ghostface1701 Commander Red Shirt

If they screw-up Season 3, I will lose my shit. But I think/hope it's unlikely.

3. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Is somebody keeping track of all the visual effects errors in this release? I doubt CBS will shell out the money to fix any of these errors, but, you never know.

4. MickJo1701

MickJo1701 Commander Red Shirt

Indeed, this is one that made me laugh. The Borg cutting beam doesn't completely engulf the section out of the Enterprise its taking out like it did in the original. The tractor beam element is far too weak and there's something seriously wrong with the starfield element. This is getting hopeless really.

(Caps from Matt of TrekCore, sadly I'm not in possession of it yet.)

http://tng.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/s2/2x16/qwho171.jpg
    http://mediacdn.disqus.com/uploads/mediaembed/images/392/5013/original.jpg

http://tng.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/s2/2x16/qwho172.jpg
    http://mediacdn.disqus.com/uploads/mediaembed/images/392/5016/original.jpg

5. BillJ

Well I saw the season three preview last night and it was just the exclamation point on how shitty season two looks. The season three restoration looks like its going to be incredible.

6. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

From the company that brought you this:

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film3/blu-ray_reviews51/patton_blu-ray/large2/large_patton_blu-ray1x.jpg

and this:

http://www.doblu.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/starwarsmenace2631.jpg

....Season 2 of Star Trek: The Next Generation! HTV, ladies and gentlemen. With a good chunk of their work being abandoned and remastered by the studios, I'm surprised they're still in business.

Their website doesn't say so, but I'll bet they worked on Predator also. http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u98/adzez/Predator/3b3e38ee.png

7. Patrick O'Brien

Patrick O'Brien Captain Captain

Four days until season two is released:bolian:

8. BillJ

I'm really starting to dread this release. Picking it up more as a "I support this project" buy than really wanting it at this point.

9. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm still not that worried. Other than the awful blue one, most of the planets look perfectly fine to me, and things like misaligned lights, blurrier stars, and a grayer Enterprise don't really stand out to me that much even in still shots.

Although obviously I am glad to hear we'll be getting better effects in future seasons.

10. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

tbh i don't notice stuff that much and wouldn't notice a lot of it if it wasn't for this thread, the windows being misaligned in a 2 second shot isnt noticeable.

11. Joe_Atari

Joe_Atari Commander Red Shirt

Why is it so inconceivable that CBS would later release a "re-remastered" S2 set sometime down the road? There's ample recent precedent for studios remastering botched BD releases (from multiple studios: The Fifth Element, Gladiator, The French Connection, and Patton come to mind). I'm not saying there will be a recall or even a trade-in offer (I agree both are unlikely, but if CBS did do a trade-in they would gain goodwill but probably have relatively few takers), but if a re-release will goose sales, and the work isn't prohibitive (it's not like they have to recover and rescan the elements again, and CBS-D could probably reuse many of their S1 assets), why wouldn't CBS do it? They sell more sets and get adulation from grateful fans at the same time. It's called making lemonade from lemons, and no place does it better than Hollywood. And IMHO CBS's handling of the S1 audio issue was impeccable, so they clearly DO care (or this project wouldn't be happening at all). Unfortunately that didn't happen at the project management or quality control stages for either S1 or S2.

I for one am simply passing on this release. I agree with those that simply cannot out of principle support such a slipshod release with their money. It's the only effective way I can make my dissatisfaction known -- voting with my wallet. Griping on the Internet might filter through to the press and gain some traction for a fix, but it's ultimately preaching to the choir. Besides, as much as I love TNG there's way too much other quality entertainment out there to have to tolerate substandard work like S2 on BD. This isn't the late-'80s / early-'90s anymore.

HTV aside (they probably did their best, probably even with the best intentions, which was simply not good enough -- end of story), CBS needs to be told that they need to bring their A-game each and every time or it'll cost them customers. It's that simple.

12. Phily B

The Borg cutting scene doesn't look bad at all, just because it's different doesn't mean it's bad imo.

13. Salinga

Salinga Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Different? It's completly illogical :vulcan:

There is stuff pulled out of the hull where no hole is there for, because the hole too small for that (the width of the beam shows the actual diameter of the hole and the pulled out element overlaps that beam):
    [​IMG]

But maybe the D is made out of rubber and the decks inflate when pulled out of the ship.

I dont know, maybe HTV gives very bad health care to its workers, so they all cannot afford glasses. Because someone HAS to be practically blind to work on such a shot and dont notice this mistake. Looking at this for hours and dont notice it? You have to be literally blind!!

14. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Motion pictures are cheaper to remaster than an entire season of television -- two hours of material versus ten in this case. Moreover, none of the releases you've listed involved re-compositing of visual effects -- just going back to the film elements and striking an improved transfer.

CBS might revisit this season down the road, but it wouldn't be a cheap and easy proposition. (Not to mention, it would alienate a lot of fans who spent money on an inferior product).

15. Salinga

Salinga Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Star Trek: The Next Generation Season 2 Blu-ray Clip - Picard Loves His Crew
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTOpZe7oRkc[/yt]

16. NewHorizon

NewHorizon Captain Captain

Wow....that is insanely BAD. They sized the deck element incorrectly. Good LORD. When I mentioned the issues with the VFX to Mike Okuda on twitter, he said "Not true, the VFX are EXCELLENT!". Excellent, the man said. This is far from excellent. This is preposterous.

CBS should definitely remaster this Season on their own. This is really quite a mess and should not be left like this.

17. Ghostface1701

Ghostface1701 Commander Red Shirt

I think people are mis-understanding the shot. Look at the original shot, the hole and the section of hull being removed are the same size (you can compare the lines on the surface of the saucer). The saucer and removable section were shot in one take, it's not possible for that removable piece to be bigger than the hole because it was literally taken from it.

What's likely to be confusing people is that in this exact frame, the moving cutting beam isn't very visible on the right-hand side of the hull section. It'll probably look fine in motion.

18. Phily B

19. BillJ

I don't get it? I see Worf there, standing to the right of Riker.

20. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed. The final energy beam may not be as wide as it should be, but the hole itself appears to be the same size as in the SD shot.