Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old December 1 2012, 01:20 AM   #1126
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

From the company that brought you this:

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film3/blu-r..._blu-ray1x.jpg

and this:

http://www.doblu.com/wp-content/uplo...menace2631.jpg

....Season 2 of Star Trek: The Next Generation! HTV, ladies and gentlemen. With a good chunk of their work being abandoned and remastered by the studios, I'm surprised they're still in business.

Their website doesn't say so, but I'll bet they worked on Predator also. http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u...r/3b3e38ee.png
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2012, 01:23 AM   #1127
Patrick O'Brien
Captain

Four days until season two is released
Old December 1 2012, 01:24 AM   #1128
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Patrick O'Brien wrote: View Post
Four days until season two is released
I'm really starting to dread this release. Picking it up more as a "I support this project" buy than really wanting it at this point.
Old December 1 2012, 01:37 AM   #1129
davejames
Vice Admiral

Ghostface1701 wrote: View Post
I'm really worried the VFX is going to be painful for me to watch. At this point, I'm really only buying it for the special features, and the fact that I've never owned Season 2.
I'm still not that worried. Other than the awful blue one, most of the planets look perfectly fine to me, and things like misaligned lights, blurrier stars, and a grayer Enterprise don't really stand out to me that much even in still shots.

Although obviously I am glad to hear we'll be getting better effects in future seasons.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2012, 01:48 AM   #1130
Phily B
Fleet Captain

View Phily B's Twitter Profile

tbh i don't notice stuff that much and wouldn't notice a lot of it if it wasn't for this thread, the windows being misaligned in a 2 second shot isnt noticeable.
Phily B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2012, 01:50 AM   #1131
Joe_Atari
Lieutenant Commander

NewHorizon wrote: View Post
It would be great if CBS-Digital were allowed to go back and revamp Season 2 at the end of the project, but I doubt the CBS parent company will allow that. We'll be stuck with this mess for the long haul.
Why is it so inconceivable that CBS would later release a "re-remastered" S2 set sometime down the road? There's ample recent precedent for studios remastering botched BD releases (from multiple studios: The Fifth Element, Gladiator, The French Connection, and Patton come to mind). I'm not saying there will be a recall or even a trade-in offer (I agree both are unlikely, but if CBS did do a trade-in they would gain goodwill but probably have relatively few takers), but if a re-release will goose sales, and the work isn't prohibitive (it's not like they have to recover and rescan the elements again, and CBS-D could probably reuse many of their S1 assets), why wouldn't CBS do it? They sell more sets and get adulation from grateful fans at the same time. It's called making lemonade from lemons, and no place does it better than Hollywood. And IMHO CBS's handling of the S1 audio issue was impeccable, so they clearly DO care (or this project wouldn't be happening at all). Unfortunately that didn't happen at the project management or quality control stages for either S1 or S2.

I for one am simply passing on this release. I agree with those that simply cannot out of principle support such a slipshod release with their money. It's the only effective way I can make my dissatisfaction known -- voting with my wallet. Griping on the Internet might filter through to the press and gain some traction for a fix, but it's ultimately preaching to the choir. Besides, as much as I love TNG there's way too much other quality entertainment out there to have to tolerate substandard work like S2 on BD. This isn't the late-'80s / early-'90s anymore.

HTV aside (they probably did their best, probably even with the best intentions, which was simply not good enough -- end of story), CBS needs to be told that they need to bring their A-game each and every time or it'll cost them customers. It's that simple.
Joe_Atari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2012, 01:59 AM   #1132
Phily B
Fleet Captain

The Borg cutting scene doesn't look bad at all, just because it's different doesn't mean it's bad imo.
Old December 1 2012, 02:09 AM   #1133
Salinga
Captain

Phily B wrote: View Post
The Borg cutting scene doesn't look bad at all, just because it's different doesn't mean it's bad imo.
Different? It's completly illogical

There is stuff pulled out of the hull where no hole is there for, because the hole too small for that (the width of the beam shows the actual diameter of the hole and the pulled out element overlaps that beam):

But maybe the D is made out of rubber and the decks inflate when pulled out of the ship.

I dont know, maybe HTV gives very bad health care to its workers, so they all cannot afford glasses. Because someone HAS to be practically blind to work on such a shot and dont notice this mistake. Looking at this for hours and dont notice it? You have to be literally blind!!
Salinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2012, 02:26 AM   #1134
Harvey
Admiral

Joe_Atari wrote: View Post
Why is it so inconceivable that CBS would later release a "re-remastered" S2 set sometime down the road? There's ample recent precedent for studios remastering botched BD releases (from multiple studios: The Fifth Element, Gladiator, The French Connection, and Patton come to mind).
Motion pictures are cheaper to remaster than an entire season of television -- two hours of material versus ten in this case. Moreover, none of the releases you've listed involved re-compositing of visual effects -- just going back to the film elements and striking an improved transfer.

CBS might revisit this season down the road, but it wouldn't be a cheap and easy proposition. (Not to mention, it would alienate a lot of fans who spent money on an inferior product).

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2012, 02:36 AM   #1135
Salinga
Captain

Star Trek: The Next Generation Season 2 Blu-ray Clip - Picard Loves His Crew
Salinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2012, 02:36 AM   #1136
NewHorizon
Captain

Salinga wrote: View Post

There is stuff pulled out of the hull where no hole is there for, because the hole too small for that (the width of the beam shows the actual diameter of the hole and the pulled out element overlaps that beam):

Wow....that is insanely BAD. They sized the deck element incorrectly. Good LORD. When I mentioned the issues with the VFX to Mike Okuda on twitter, he said "Not true, the VFX are EXCELLENT!". Excellent, the man said. This is far from excellent. This is preposterous.

CBS should definitely remaster this Season on their own. This is really quite a mess and should not be left like this.
NewHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2012, 02:52 AM   #1137
Ghostface1701
Commander

NewHorizon wrote: View Post
Salinga wrote: View Post

Wow....that is insanely BAD. They sized the deck element incorrectly. Good LORD. When I mentioned the issues with the VFX to Mike Okuda on twitter, he said "Not true, the VFX are EXCELLENT!". Excellent, the man said. This is far from excellent. This is preposterous.

CBS should definitely remaster this Season on their own. This is really quite a mess and should not be left like this.
I think people are mis-understanding the shot. Look at the original shot, the hole and the section of hull being removed are the same size (you can compare the lines on the surface of the saucer). The saucer and removable section were shot in one take, it's not possible for that removable piece to be bigger than the hole because it was literally taken from it.

What's likely to be confusing people is that in this exact frame, the moving cutting beam isn't very visible on the right-hand side of the hull section. It'll probably look fine in motion.
Ghostface1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2012, 03:06 AM   #1138
Phily B
Fleet Captain

Here is Warf being invisible, sorry I downsized it a bit.

http://i46.tinypic.com/21nikqq.jpg
Old December 1 2012, 03:17 AM   #1139
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Here is Warf being invisible, sorry I downsized it a bit.

http://i46.tinypic.com/21nikqq.jpg
I don't get it? I see Worf there, standing to the right of Riker.
Old December 1 2012, 03:24 AM   #1140
davejames
Vice Admiral

Ghostface1701 wrote: View Post
I think people are mis-understanding the shot. Look at the original shot, the hole and the section of hull being removed are the same size (you can compare the lines on the surface of the saucer). The saucer and removable section were shot in one take, it's not possible for that removable piece to be bigger than the hole because it was literally taken from it.
Agreed. The final energy beam may not be as wide as it should be, but the hole itself appears to be the same size as in the SD shot.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote