Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old November 30 2012, 10:40 PM   #1
t_smitts
Commander

Aliens with one name vs. aliens with two names

They always always been consistent on who falls in which camp, but my assumption is as follows:

(P..S. I'm not bothering with listing "aliens of the week")

1 name:
-Vulcans
-Romulans
-Klingons
-Ferengi
-Andorians
-Tellarites
-Talaxians
-Ocampa
-Vorta
-Jem'Hadar
-Denobulans
-Suliban
-Deltans
-Son'a / Ba'ku
-Benzites

2 names:
-Humans (duh!)
-Bajorans (family name, then given name)
-Cardassians
-Trill (In joined Trill, symbiont's name replaces host's family name)
-Betazoids

Now this is just my opinion and there are exceptions (M'Kota R'Cho for the Klingons. Alidar Jarok and Telek R'Mor, among others, for Romulans. Par Lenor for Ferengi. Spock's supposed "unrponouncable" last name for Vulcans) But the majority of individuals from a species point to one, I'm inclined to believe that one.

I'd also point out that some, like Thy'lek Shran, are from split second data screens that are sometimes dubious. I'd further point out that some may not be a first and last name, but simply one name with two words (like the surname "Van Gogh").

A few races I'm on the fence about: Some of the Xindi may have one or the other, for instance. We've only had one named Tholian and Gorn in canon, so that's not enough to rule one way or the other, IMHO. The Kazon, I think are kind of vague, with the earning of names and all.

What do you think?
t_smitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2012, 10:51 PM   #2
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: Aliens with one name vs. aliens with two names

Vulcans have more than one name, it's just the surname is unpronouncable by humans.

It's entirely possible that seemingly single name races have names that are never used to address them but are known by their own people to designate cast or ramily.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2012, 10:55 PM   #3
Christopher
Writer

The Pocket novels of recent years have established fuller naming conventions for Andorians, and Tellarites (in fact, I happen to be the one who came up with the Tellarite naming pattern now used in the books, or at least the prototype for it). The '80s novels established fuller names for Klingons (in John M. Ford's The Final Reflection and Romulans (in Diane Duane's Rihannsu novels), but those naming patterns aren't generally used in tie-ins anymore. But you still do see Romulans in the novels with two names. The current Praetor in the novel continuity is Gell Kamemor, and the books have given the Romulan Commander from "The Enterprise Incident" the name Liviana Charvanek.

Canon has established that a Klingon's full name includes a patronymic/house designator, such as "Worf, Son of Mogh." (Although since he was adopted, his full legal name should be Worf Rozhenko.) I sometimes wonder if "Sarek, child of Skon, child of Solkar" is a translation of the full Vulcan family name.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2012, 10:56 PM   #4
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

It could be a case that in some alien cultures, the family name is considered sacred or that it's simply more common to just use the given name (especially if the full name is very long).
Old November 30 2012, 11:32 PM   #5
Captain Rob
Commodore

I thought Spock's first name was Carl?
Old November 30 2012, 11:46 PM   #6
Christopher
Writer

According to Dorothy Fontana, Spock's first name is Harold.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2012, 12:01 AM   #7
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
such as "Worf, Son of Mogh." (Although since he was adopted, his full legal name should be Worf Rozhenko.)
Worf Moghovich?

Adopted children don't alway take the family name of their adopted parents, or keep it in adulthood. One of my cousins, who was adopted into the family at age nine, asked to be able to keep the last name of Sanchez out of respect for her late father. It's her legal name.

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2012, 12:40 AM   #8
Shawnster
Fleet Captain

Yet Worf referred to his son as "Alexander Rozhenko" in New Ground
Shawnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2012, 12:58 AM   #9
iguana_tonante
Admiral

Beside, there are people (I mean real people, humans) with only one name, three, or four.
Old December 1 2012, 01:19 AM   #10
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

I have four.
T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2012, 01:24 AM   #11
iguana_tonante
Admiral

Good for you.
Old December 1 2012, 06:52 AM   #12
Tiberius
Commodore

Christopher wrote: View Post
Canon has established that a Klingon's full name includes a patronymic/house designator, such as "Worf, Son of Mogh." (Although since he was adopted, his full legal name should be Worf Rozhenko.) I sometimes wonder if "Sarek, child of Skon, child of Solkar" is a translation of the full Vulcan family name.
This makes sense. Even here on Earth we have names similar to this. Katie O'Claire is literally Katie from the town of Claire (iirc), and the Mc or Mac in names literally means "Son of", so Ronald McDonald is Ronald, son of Donald.
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2012, 07:08 AM   #13
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Shawnster wrote: View Post
Yet Worf referred to his son as "Alexander Rozhenko" in New Ground
Alexander was named by his mother, and I'm guessing she was following human naming conventions since she didn't particularly care about Klingon tradition.

About Romulan names: The character of Valdore (who appeared in ENT) is, in the novels, given the full name of Valdore i'Kaleh tr'Ihaimehn. Perhaps Romulans follow naming conventions similar to those used in certain Spanish speaking countries, in which a person uses both their mother and father's last names? (for example, the ex-Yankee Bernie Williams, his full name is Bernabé Williams Figueroa)

As for the Jem'Hadar: I heard that Jem'Hadar names are assigned by their First who is the commander of their unit. Is this true? I swear I read that in some novel.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2012, 08:00 AM   #14
-Brett-
Rear Admiral

t_smitts wrote: View Post
1 name:
-Romulans
Not entirely true. Off the top of my head, there's Alidar Jarok (not to be confused with the poster here). Senator Cretak was referred to as "Kimura" or something to that effect, it's been forever since I've seen that episode. From context, it sounded like a given name.

I think Romulans have naming conventions similar to humans, we just rarely get on a first name basis with any of them.
-Brett- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2012, 08:53 AM   #15
KamenRiderBlade
Lieutenant Commander

So here's the thing I always found interesting about human last names.

Traditionally, most family's just take the father's last name for the children and wife.

Doesn't that seem kind of antiquated? Imagine what if humans went by a different route way back in the past and it followed onto today.

Imagine if the children had both parents first name as their last names but with a hyphen seperating the two parents name?

It would be a unqiue way of naming and have a consistant way of passing down family heritage.
KamenRiderBlade is offline   Reply With Quote