Kirk's Television Enterprise Deck Plans WIP

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Robert Comsol, Nov 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

Hello everyone. Since I never felt that the USS Enterprise deck plans by Franz Joseph Schnaubelt represented the ship as seen on television (except for the bridge), it had been my desire to accommodate, combine and arrange the original studio sets in the most credible way possible and in a manner the Brandon character from Galaxy Quest would have probably done it.

My special thanks go to various Trek BBS participants, which still have an equal unwavering interest in the Original Series’ Enterprise and encouraged me to make my drafts available for discussion. Timing couldn’t be better as a long time friend of mine (with CAD skills light years ahead of mine) is currently doing exterior views of the old Enterprise and will eventually use these deck plan drafts as storyboards for CAD deck plans.

These deck plans are (currently) based on following theories:

1. In real life the USS Enterprise would have a length of 1,080 feet.
    2. There are 16 engineering decks in the engineering hull (according to Whitfield’s The Making of Star Trek) where deck numbering starts at the top of the neck pylon below the primary or saucer hull (if this were not the case the height of the engineering decks would be lower than seen in the series).
    3. The yellow circle at the bottom of the engineering hull belongs to a structure that extends into the ship and conveniently justifies the existence of circular corridors inside the engineering hull.
    4. The radius of the original studio sets’ circular corridor can either be reduced (e.g. engineering hull) or enhanced (outer rim of saucer hull) to create a variety of locations aboard the USS Enterprise which are not just limited to the interior corridors of a few saucer decks. A good canon example that justifies this procedure is the opening scene of Journey to Babel (Kirk, McCoy and Spock walk down "Kirk's corridor" and then make a 180° U-turn into the same corridor, differently 'dressed'. One of these corridors has a different radius than the original studio set)
    5. The Enterprise has at least two engine rooms, i.e. the “Engine Control Room” in the saucer hull near the impulse deck (especially Court Martial and Space Seed – it had to stand in for the engine room in the engineering hull during Season One) and the “Engineering Section” in the engineering hull (Season Two and Three with the possible exception of Day of the Dove).
    6. A diagonal turbo shaft connects the saucer and the engineering hull (a passenger in the turbo lift car couldn’t tell by the passing lights whether movement is vertical or diagonal).

The mission goals are
    A) to recreate the ship’s corridors and locations as seen on the show(s) (i.e. from The Cage to the ENTERPRISE episode In a Mirror, Darkly) and later fill in the blank spots with rooms and components as Matt Jefferies hopefully would have done it given the task.
    B) to present a feasible turbo lift system that makes sense.
    C) to try to make these deck plans look good and believable.

This is a work in progress starting with the engineering hull deck plans that have been assembled by dissecting and assembling copies of the studio set plans from all three seasons (including some homemade reconstructions, i.e. the corridors from Where No Man Has Gone Before and In a Mirror, Darkly).
    Constructive feedback is much appreciated. Live long and prosper and enjoy!

Engineering Deck 14: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/42om8cmlxqta8hn/gxvjE9apMA/USS%20Enterprise%20Engineering%20Deck%2014%20Uncompressed%20Version%202.2.JPG

Rewatching TOS I felt that the first season was somehow bound in the engineering hull. Possibly for upgrades in the saucer hull – following events in Where No Man Has Gone Before where many things were noticeably different – Kirk had to take provisional quarters on (Engineering) Deck 12 and probably Dr. McCoy, too (The Man Trap reveals an exterior window above his bed). Janice Rand’s quarters might be permanently on this deck (as a yeoman she should technically share her quarters, but as Captain’s yeoman she seems to enjoy certain privileges but only gets her own cabin on Deck 12) and then there is a transporter room on Deck 14 (lower than that we’d have problems assigning useful functions to the bottom exterior hatches of the ship, IMHO).

In an interview Doug Drexler conducted with production designer Matt Jefferies (RIP) in the 1970’s for the Star Trek Posterbooks Matt Jefferies stated his design strategy: “identification by association”. Therefore I have no doubts whatsoever that what we see in Kirk’s, Mudd’s and McCoy’s quarters are exterior windows closed by shutters (probably because they ran out of budget to do the VFX or these looked like crap). Thus I started these deck plans on Deck 12 to adjust the orientation of the (two) studio sets to bring these quarters to the corresponding position: http://tos.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x06hd/muddswomenhd146.jpg
    http://tos.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x05hd/theenemywithinhd138.jpg
    http://tos.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x06hd/muddswomenhd395.jpg
    http://tos.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x01-2-hd/themantraphd484.jpg

Because of this the two transporter rooms two decks lower were first diagonally aligned but I felt it looked bad, so for Deck 14 I readjusted the orientation to have both transporter rooms near a central axis running through the ship (after all, who says that the “Environmental Engineering Only” ladders have to connect to more than two decks?).

The corridor used by Kirk and Captain Christopher in Tomorrow Is Yesterday is a late addition and the result of “Janice’s corridor” two decks above. The turbo lift near the transporter room might be an exit-only turbo lift (we’ve seen only people exiting this one but never entering it), it may be debatable whether it was also seen in Elaan of Troyius (judging by the lights in the turbo lift shaft).

The latest addition was the medical ward in the center. Ironically, this is a rare occasion where the strange curvature of the bed section from all seasons makes almost perfect sense (the corridor should still be a little tighter). Since I presume a medical ward in the engineering hull would be specialized in handling radiation burns (a daily hazard for the engineering personnel) I think this one is (Dr. M’Benga or Dr. Sanchez in charge) and since the Cestus III surviving Lieutenant had radiation burns I’d like to believe that the medical ward scene from Arena took place here. http://tos.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x18hd/arenahd151.jpg

Engineering Deck 13: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/42om8cml...terprise Engineering Deck 13 Uncompressed.JPG

Engineering Deck 13 is better known as the “Hangar Deck Shuttlecraft” judging by the deck marker seen in The Doomsday Machine. I believe that decks with a certain known function are not referred to by numbers but by alphabetic letters in crew’s lingo instead (like “B deck” in Court Martial aka crew’s quarters “Berth deck” or main deck number 6).

I’m somewhat undecided whether to sacrifice the “Science Library” from Dagger of the Mind for a later added brig cell. And I seem to be having a problem fitting Nomad’s top security cell from The Changeling into the section. I also believe that the Medical Ward from WNM should go to the port bow. http://tos.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x09hd/daggerofthemindhd064.jpg

Engineering Deck 12: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/42om8cml...ring Deck 12 Uncompressed Version 2.2 001.jpg

Engineering Deck 12 is the one that started this project. Here we see two variations of the corridor set with the strange angle from WNM (where three different locations of this corridor were shown in the beginning of the alternate version / edit!) of which I first didn’t know whether this corridor was a curse or a blessing. Near Janice’s cabin the angle helps to bring this kind of (upgraded) corridor to a nice conclusion parallel to the central axis on the port bow (possibly a medical ward there, too, as seen in WNM). Alternately, in its original version it aligns nicely with the H deck corridor below and the turbo lift location from Let That Be on the starboard stern. A last minute addition is the stern corridor from ENT. Why mirror universe Archer and his men needed to enter the tri-ladder tube here to get all the way to the main level of engineering a few decks above, I cannot answer as I’d rather expect this kind of tri-ladder tube in the neck pylon (similar to TWOK: http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/twok/ch11/twok0874.jpg). I presume it added to the pirate theme of the episode and made it look as if they were climbing the mast of a ship (my 0.02 $). http://ent.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/4x19/inamirrordarkly2_296.jpg

The engineering deck plan drafts for 11, 10, 9 and 8 will follow soon.

Bob

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  2. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This is awesome :) :techman:

3. blssdwlf

blssdwlf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

@Bob - Ah, I see what you're trying to do with the circular corridor in the engineering hull. Interesting to see where you go with it :)

4. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

Interesting. You have some fascinating assumptions. I eagerly await further progress and I love your notes. It's cool that you "show your work" in this fashion.

I've already noticed a few things that I might co-opt for my own deckplans project in some form...

--Alex

5. Robert Comsol

Thanks for the gratifying comments but please, feel free to mention things you don't like or which seem or are incompatible with what's seen in the series (I have no ego to bruise and I'm not perfect). There are no stupid questions (only stupid answers) and if there's something you don't like and feel it could or should be done differently let me know, as I am certain that there is room for improvement.

Already there has been a confusion regarding the identical cabin number of Harry Mudd and Spock in Amok Time. Spock's quarters are on main deck 5 (IMHO) and don't have windows, so I assumed that the identical cabin number is a hint that Mudd's quarters have to be in the engineering hull (i.e. you can't have identical cabin numbers in the same hull, but it's possible to have one same cabin number for the saucer hull and the other for the engineering hull).

In a perfect world the "environmental engineering" ladders (with 'fall-safe' grid from Season Two on) would always end one deck lower in a (Season One) ladder both with no 'fall-safe' grid. Mudd's Women provides a nice "excuse" as their movement to Kirk's cabin was shot from behind a hexagonal grid panel and in movement which made it difficult to discern whether the ladder booh in the background had a fall-safe grid cover or not. ;) (this ladder near Kirk's quarters http://tos.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x06hd/muddswomenhd125.jpg
    connects to this ladder one deck below http://tos.trekcore.com/hd/albums/2x06hd/thedoomsdaymachinehd1165.jpg)

Bob

P.S. Ouch! I just realized that the ladders connecting the two aforementioned decks would make sense if the Hangar Deck would actually be above Deck 12 - and therefore the Flight Deck. But I tend to rather believe Kirk's "flight deck" remark in The Conscience of the King than Chekov's "hangar deck doors" remark in this Season Three episode (maybe Russians don't have flight decks, according to Chekov ;)).

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  6. The Librarian

The Librarian Commodore Commodore

Good luck with the turbolifts. I made some Excelsior plans once and those were probably the single most trying issue with figuring things out. You'll probably find that it's impossible to have as many as the ships seem to have on the show. I know I decided that the crew could damned well walk twenty or thirty yards if they wanted to go somewhere.

7. chronografer

chronografer Ensign Red Shirt

Wow! This is a different approach - one that I personally am not yet comfortable with. But go for it. Without someone doing something new (and uncomfortable) there are no breakthroughs. "Allons-y!"
    BTW - this link did not work for me:
    http://ent.trekcore.com/gallery/albu...arkly2_296.jpg
    +RK

8. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's just Trekcore's no-hotlinking filter. Right-click and copy the hyperlink, then paste it into your address bar manually. That usually does the trick :-)

9. Robert Comsol

@ Librarian

I agree, having a credible turbo lift system is quite a challenge and that was the first issue I tried to solve when starting this project, it should make sense without the necessity of constantly attributing it to turbo lift malfunctions. As a result E-Deck 11 is devoted to the turbo lift distribution in the engineering hull, maybe I can post it tonight. I won't really have turbo lift parking spots like FJ as I feel that in a circulating turbo shaft system empty cars will be constantly moving until called for.

@ chronografer

Merci. I believe I can understand your discomfort. In essence, the engineering hull has a rectangular character so we'd naturally expect an arrangement parallel to the central axis. Personally, I would have preferred just to have these long WNM corridors or a rectangular arrangement like they did for the Romulan Battlecruiser interior in The Enterprise Incident. But the visual information from TOS and the corridor walk in The Ultimate Computer to the warp engine room insist on a circular arrangement. So I guess it'll be something like accuracy vs. aesthetics. But I'm confident that once the remaining blank spots are filled with rectangular rooms, the circular nature of these deck plans will be less disturbing, hopefully.

Bob

10. Mytran

I've loved seeing these new additions to the "Thermian" approach to deck plans. You've asked for some feedback, so I hope the following observations may prove useful (and are not intended as personal slights on your work)

DECK12
    ======
    Nice use of a circular corridor! At first I couldn't figure out how you fitted a full circle into the secondary hull, ‘til I realised you'd reduced the diameter (and yes, I later realised you've actually written that in the narrative!). Wrapping the corridor around the antimatter pod is a great way to justify a curved corridor, good thinking! The reduced radius doesn't generally affect the portrayal of the set, since most of the rooms there are the ones filmed from inside, where only a small portion of the corridor was visible at any given time through the door. The one exception is McCoy & Kirk's exit in "The Enemy Within", where we see a decent stretch of the corridor before Evilkirk stumbles by. As you’ve already mentioned in your introduction, differences in corridor radius is not something you are overly bothered with, so this is really a non-issue (just thought I’d mention it)

• I can see now how you've fitted the "windows" from the cabin set into the side of the hull. The only issue here is that the two rooms in the cabin are at different angles to the flat wall of the secondary hull. But you may have a plan for that, since this is not a final draft.

• Yeoman Rand's corridor has no ladder? I didn't notice anything in the episode, although I grant that the ladder is not always visible when viewed from certain angles. Is this just a clever way of you limiting the number of ladders on board ship?

• Gary Mitchell's walk in WNMHGB – nice placement of the long straight corridor, but placing it where you have means he enters the episode from what looks like the Hangar Deck control room – an unusual place to hang out, if not impossible! Also, the corridor appears to be incomplete of what appears in the episode (down the ramp etc as discussed here) Or is this related to your odd remark about the anitmatter pod being enlarged (and presumably replacing some corridor sections?)
    DECK 13
    =======

• I like the idea of the security section. Is this the only brig though? If so then I should draw your attention to "Way to Eden" where one of the Space-hippies climbs UP the triangular ladder to carry out the jailbreak.
    Love the theory about the changing colour of the turbolifts!

DECK14
    ======

• The Transporter Room in "The Cage" of course had a different corridor setup outside its doors. I assume you are ascribing interior remodelling to explain the differences.
    And that's it for now! Really looking forward to more.

11. Robert Comsol

WIP Update on Deck 12: There is no way an additional cabin (McCoy) with windows could be added to the window cabins of Kirk and Mudd.
    Either Kirk vacated his cabin and McCoy moved into it (because renovation began in his quarters on Main Deck 5) - production chronology compatible / stardate order incompatible - or Mudd's cabin had been all along on Deck 13 in the Security Section (the red coloring of his cabin may suggest that) or we disregard the cabin numbering and McCoy moved into Mudd's cabin after Mudd had left.

Here is the WIP draft for Engineering Deck 11: https://www.dropbox.com/s/c3vzrawbe5hem44/USS Enterprise Engineering Deck 11 Uncompressed.JPG

Again, I refer to the annotations on the draft, first.

The more I think about it, the more I'm tempted to locate the stargazer room from Mark of Gideon on Main Deck 3. As we can clearly see in this screencap http://tos.trekcore.com/hd/albums/3x16hd/themarkofgideonhd0766.jpg they arrive at the "multi-purpose room" coming from the Jefferies Tube corridor that somehow has to end at the bow of the 'teardrop'. I should mention that I have believed for a long time that Pike's quarters ("now" the flag officer guest quarters aboard the Enterprise) were also on this deck and with his cabin window on the starboard side. I'd like to believe that the corridor to Pike's quarters happens to be the same: http://tos.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x00hd/thecagehd0141.jpg

On this deck you can see how the turbo lifts or shafts from the lower decks connect to the distribution system. Originally I had considered the turbo shafts on the starboard stern to be not connected to the main system that will eventually connect to the neck pylon and the saucer hull. By Any Other Name made short work of this idea as Kirk meets with Scotty and Spock (coming from the first ladder to the Emergency Manual Monitor on Enginnering Level 1 and their little sabotage) to enter the turbo lift and make a nonstop ride to the bridge. Adding the currently missing semi-circular turbo shaft on the starboard side will definitely add more symetry to this deck plan draft.

There will have to be some ladders to get up or down (in case the turbo lift system is inoperative) but other than that, I presume this deck will mostly contain mechanical components, storage tanks et cetera. with the exception of a mysterious room port and starboard that features the widest exterior window on the ship.

Bob

12. Robert Comsol

Please feel absolutely free to speak your mind like Chronografer did. Take the gloves off and fire away. I'm looking for feedback that helps improvement and sterilization of flaws (but I don't wanna ask Nomad for that). ;)

They DO bother me a lot, but I think it's an evil necessity if I want to consider the circular corridor to the warp engine room from The Ultimate Computer without increasing the size of the ship to incredible dimensions.

The "window quarters" will match the outer hull which should also add a little symmetry to the actual studio set design.

The entire "Yeoman Rand corridor" is the sum of Charlie X + The Enemy Within. Charlie waits for Janice in front of the covered ladder booth. I had hoped the turbo shaft from Deck 14 would be the reason why there is no place for it. :(

Gary Mitchell was an unusual man. :) I'm not sure if this was the corridor he used (there'll be another option on Deck 10 but you'll find the place he came from probably even less likely), but I wanted to illustrate how the angled corridor end alligns nicely with the turbo lift / hangar deck corridor one deck below. I feel compelled to add that I did the Deck 13 draft before I was even consciously aware that this kind of corridor existed. At the port bow we can also see how this kind of corridor brings the diagonal corridor to a nice end parallel to the central axis. The WNM corridor is a fascinating key to solve a couple of problems in the engineering hull.

There will be more cells and I won't exclude the possibility of yet another brig in the saucer hull. The problem right now is that this is an immensely crowded corner. Dagger of the Mind suggests there is also a briefing room (the blue direction marker is blurred but the proportions seem to fit) and I'm afraid there'll be no other location candidate for Gary Mitchell's medical ward bed from WNM (as the WNM "sickbay" was located behind that door in the angle segment). That this medical ward was in the security section is - of course - entirely coincidental. :rolleyes:

Since this corridor end on Deck 14 http://tos.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x09hd/daggerofthemindhd053.jpg is not entirely compatible with this one from The Cage http://tos.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x00hd/thecagehd1634.jpg I'd presume some remodelling took place (an A-frame for a blue door). I mostly like the idea that the original transporter room was powered by the energy of the engineering deck levels above and the landing party equipment they used seemed to require some storage space nearby.

Bob

13. Mytran

Thanks for answering my queries - I am optimistic that when the time comes I can fit corridors of the correct radius into my Enterprise, but that will remain to be seen! It may well prove to be a neccessary evil to get the job done, as you mentioned.

With regard to Pike's cabin having an actual window, there's nothing in the original effects to suggest that. Indeed, the green panel behind him pulsates with an odd white glow throughout the exchange with Doctor Boyce:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

What's causing the panel to glow like this?

[​IMG]

It's a brief moment, but as Dr Boyce is setting up his medical bag on the raised chair, he switches on the perspex tube "emitter" mounted above him. From this point on, the panel behind the captain starts to pulse regularly. My guess is that the panel and emitter form some of futuristic "de-stresser" - Pike could certainly use the help!

Also, compared to later windows that we see the wall is almost paper-thin. Definitely not exterior bulkhead material, IMHO.

14. blssdwlf

blssdwlf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

@Mytran - excellent observation on the pulsing panel and emitter. I didn't notice until you pointed it out!

@Bob - are you focusing on a particular version of the ship as it changed over the course of the three seasons, particularly the engine rooms and bridge? Or are you combining them all into one ideal representation?

15. Robert Comsol

@ Mytran

I'd assume the emitter works like the scanners of the diagnostic panels in sickbay, Dr. Boyce is recording medical readings of his patient. As for the pulsating glow (need to rewatch the original, didn't notice that before) I don't know but like the producers of TOS-R I like the idea of that panel being the shutter (like in Mark of Gideon) of an exterior window. The curvature of this room suggests to me its on main deck 3 and since the bow area here is rather exposed to head-on particles on collision course I feel that shutters do make some sense.

@ blssdwlf

I hope to achieve an interior presentation of the ship as it looked in the final TOS episode (e.g. with the antimatter valve monitoring room as seen in That Which Survives instead of the open spaces from The Ultimate Computer and Elaan of Troyius). It'll have the warp engine room on E-Deck 9 (second and third season set) and the impulse engine room (first season) or "Engineering Control Room" in the saucer.

I strive for one "optimal" representation which will include all sets seen throughout the series with little or less "refit" explanations (hence my reluctance to sacrifice the "Science Library" from Dagger of the Mind for the cell of the brig from Season Two on).

The current idea is to locate a variety of locations - as suggested / not contradicted by Season One - in the engineering hull to have more space and room "to maneuver" in the saucer hull. Should more space remain in the saucer hull, some places (like the brig from Season Two on) might be relocated there.

Bob

16. Mytran

I hadn't thought of it as a shutter! Maybe it is a combo shutter/de-stresser?

The fact that the emitter is on top of that raised chair is also interesting. A futuristic relaxation seat, beaming Relaxo-waves directly into the occupant's brain?

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  17. Robert Comsol

I'd like to think that Dr. Boyce's alcohol would be doing the de-stressing. Whatever the case, in the final deck plans / blueprints there probably won't be a permanent window, so the viewer can decide for him- or herself what she likes that thing to be ("I don't know what it is, but it's green" :D).

I just want to emphasize that Pike's cabin will be on main deck 3. At the end of the corridor to his cabin there is the circular briefing room or briefing lounge from the pilots. To place these circular rooms below the bridge in the center of the saucer seems mandatory to me. Needless to add that I like the idea of a briefing room right below the bridge. Unfortunately TOS then took a different route and it took some time unless TNG went back to the original (?) idea and located it in close proximity.

Should be interesting to allign Pike's cabin and corridor with that U-shaped main deck 3 corridor seen in Let That Be ... ;)

Bob

18. Mytran

Well absolutely! :lol:

The circular briefing room (AKA "Briefing Lounge", according to WNMHGB) does inded lend itself nicely to being in the central location. Captain Robert April who used to post here had a similiar setup, if I recall correctly.
    What makes less sense is that Pike's cabin is also mostly circular, what's with all the bloomin' circles? ... :confused:

As for Bele and Lokai's chase around Deck 3, that makes a lot more sense if Deck 3 is NOT in the teardrop section. Otherwise they'd practically run into each other on the first lap! The only issue is that means Deck 2 will have to be very tall - which could work, and Pike could still have his quarters there.

P.S.
    Thinking about it, my 2001 Enterprise plans did include the LTBYLB corridors in the teardrop section - I'll try and dig out a scan later today.

19. chronografer

chronografer Ensign Red Shirt

Speaking of circular rooms and corridors...
    Okay-here is an off-the-wall approach (no pun intended) that I just have to blurt out and get out of my mind. Circular corridors in the secondary hull? Sure. They could match the cross section going floor to floor from the main sensor dish to the hangar bay.
    Now THAT would be a different approach... but I have too many other things I am pursuing to try to work that one out. Of course, the obvious problem would be the windows, which would now be full-height vertical.
    Okay... I can focus again.
    +RK

20. Mytran

I wonder if you've ever seen the Starfleet Museum? It lists a whole range of pre-TOS ships which (in the early years) did indeed stack the decks in the way you describe. The first in line of these ships is the Bison class, which I highly recommend reading.

As to fitting the decks into the Enterprise's secondary hull that way, the conical shape would tend to get in the way I think. As a result, the full radius of the circular corridor sections which could fit would be about the same size as Robert_Comsol's ful circles on his Decks 12 & 13. This is quite a lot tighter than what appears onscreen.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.