Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old November 28 2012, 05:51 AM   #1
t_smitts
Commander

Furuta series

Okay, my discussion of various Trek miniatures continues with the Furuta series from Japan.

I just got two of them off ebay (Jem'Hadar and Prometheus) and I'm really happy with both for the most part. (One of the Prometheus nacelles is pointing upwards more than it should, but other than that, I'm fine with them). They're a bit bigger than the Johnny Lighting series, but pretty close.

I'd really like the Equinox, and maybe the Defiant and 1701-E, mainly cause JL never made those.

Anyone else get their hands on anything from this series? I'm curious what people thought of them. Having seen some pictures and youtube vids, I think a few, like Voyager, and possibly the 1701-D, don't look as good as their JL counterparts, but there's a few I'd be interested in.
t_smitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2012, 12:21 PM   #2
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Re: Furuta series

Pictures?

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2012, 06:30 AM   #3
Gul Re'jal
Commodore

Location: Gul Re'jal is suspecting she's on the wrong space station

I have a Sovereign class and a Cardassian Galor. They're nice. Small, but for this size the details seem quite satisfactory. I'm not a big collector though, so these two suffice.
Old November 29 2012, 08:15 PM   #4
22 Stars
Commodore

I have the whole set I believe
22 Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2012, 09:22 PM   #5
t_smitts
Commander

Okay, here's some pictures. (I'm still struggling how to post the full-sized images, but you click on these)

As you can see, the upper right nacelle on the Prometheus is a bit off, pointing up more than it should. I think I might try putting something between them to see if I can't eventually push it into place.
Old November 29 2012, 09:38 PM   #6
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

They're cool. I got the Equinox, the Enterprise-D, and the Prometheus (the nacelles on mine are straight, so it's not a common problem with that one). If you're a perfectionist, you might be a little disappointed, but I'd give the ones I have all a 9.5 out of 10 otherwise.
Old November 29 2012, 11:16 PM   #7
t_smitts
Commander

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
They're cool. I got the Equinox, the Enterprise-D, and the Prometheus (the nacelles on mine are straight, so it's not a common problem with that one). If you're a perfectionist, you might be a little disappointed, but I'd give the ones I have all a 9.5 out of 10 otherwise.
I'm not a complete perfectionist. It's just the nacelle is rather noticeably off.

I really like the Jem'Hadar though. (It was a really great price too!)

I'm now checking ebay on a daily basis to see if there's any Furuta or JL ships I want at a price I can afford.
Old November 30 2012, 12:06 AM   #8
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

t_smitts wrote: View Post
C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
I'm not a complete perfectionist. It's just the nacelle is rather noticeably off.
I was actually referring to the paint jobs and some of the finer hull details on some ships. Some aren't 100% accurate, but still very close.
Old November 30 2012, 12:10 AM   #9
toughlittleship
Fleet Captain

I have the Jem'Hadar ship. Beautiful; a quite underrated Star Trek ship design.
toughlittleship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2012, 12:18 AM   #10
KamenRiderBlade
Lieutenant Commander

The Jem'Hadar fighter is a beautiful design IMO.

It makes a great enemy vessel to shoot down.

Kind of like how the Russians make many very beautiful planes that are comparable to our western aircraft in many ways.
KamenRiderBlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2012, 12:26 AM   #11
t_smitts
Commander

toughlittleship wrote: View Post
I have the Jem'Hadar ship. Beautiful; a quite underrated Star Trek ship design.
KamenRiderBlade wrote: View Post
The Jem'Hadar fighter is a beautiful design IMO.

It makes a great enemy vessel to shoot down.

Kind of like how the Russians make many very beautiful planes that are comparable to our western aircraft in many ways.
Looking at it, you can clearly see how the ship designers were inspired by beetles or scarabs.

I have a Playmates Enterprise-D in storage somewhere. I have half a mind to get it, so I can see if it's the right scale for the Jem'Hadar to fly into!

I do wish someone had made the larger Dominion battle cruiser as well. Neither Galoob, nor Johnny Lightning, nor Furuta made one of those.
Old November 30 2012, 02:34 AM   #12
EmperorTiberius
Captain

Is there any company that makes these ships to scale relative to one another?

PS. After some research I noticed that AMT makes them to scale, not exactly apparantly, but close enough. I wouldn't mind having all the Enterprises on my desk.

Last edited by EmperorTiberius; November 30 2012 at 03:02 AM.
EmperorTiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2012, 05:56 AM   #13
t_smitts
Commander

EmperorTiberius wrote: View Post

PS. After some research I noticed that AMT makes them to scale, not exactly apparantly, but close enough. I wouldn't mind having all the Enterprises on my desk.
A few individual ships, maybe, like the Reliant, the first two Enterprises, and Klingon Battle Cruiser, but for most, I would suspect it's not feasible.

Imagine the colossal size difference between a runabout and DS9, for instance.
Old November 30 2012, 04:03 PM   #14
EmperorTiberius
Captain

A few individual ships, maybe, like the Reliant, the first two Enterprises, and Klingon Battle Cruiser, but for most, I would suspect it's not feasible.

Yeah, some will be impossible, but this AMT company has all the Enterprises to approximate scale. Pretty cool
EmperorTiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2012, 05:41 AM   #15
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Yeah, some will be impossible, but this AMT company has all the Enterprises to approximate scale. Pretty cool
I do have the AMT models featuring the six Enterprises to scale. There is something to be said seeing them all together, a sense of Trek history or something.

One of my hopes is now that Hasbro has the license for Trek toys--which I think covers everything from TOS to Star Trek XII last I heard--they may one day do a line of titanium Trek ships as they did both Star Wars and Battlestar Galactica. It'd also be very, very cool if they did the Enterprises in scale to one another.