Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Eve Engaged
By: T'Bonz on Aug 15

Shatner’s Get A Life DVD Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

TV Alert: Takei Oprah Appearance
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old November 29 2012, 02:11 PM   #31
Starkers
Admiral

Re: storm and floods in GB - is everyone ok?

Britain isn't always this wet, and I still think we have a pretty good climate for the most part, we don't get the extremes a lot of countries do.

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2012, 07:10 PM   #32
Rhubarbodendron
Commodore

indeed. And you have these awesome lawns everyone envies you!
And very handsome men!
Old November 29 2012, 09:31 PM   #33
MacLeod
Admiral

True Britain doesn't suffer the extremes of hot and old that some countries do. But it does have a rather changeable climate, and as in general extreme weather is rare it makes it hard to plan for. Which is why sometimes in heavy snow the country creaks to almost a halt. After all is it worth spending millions to plan for a once in ten year event?
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2012, 11:21 PM   #34
JayOwl
Vice Admiral

View JayOwl's Twitter Profile

^There's been at least 3 or 4 times with countrywide heavy snow in the last 4 years though. It's becoming more common, of the top of my head, last winter was the first that we had none since 2008 and that's here in the Southwest. In the north obviously it's much more common.
JayOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2012, 10:29 AM   #35
Starkers
Admiral

This is the trouble, places like Norway and Sweden get the same every winter, and have been used to dealing with it for decades, we don't so we get caught on the hop. And yeah last year was quite mild by comparison to the few that went before it, though we did get some snow. I can still remember not so long ago us going through a period of many years practically snow free for the most part, but I remember as a child it always seeming to snow, so these things come and go.

Which makes a bugger planning for it because too many mild winters in a row and suddenly councils are wasting money. They cut back and we then get a bad winter and suddenly it's "Why weren't you ready?"

Old November 30 2012, 11:03 AM   #36
MacLeod
Admiral

^Agreed, another issue is their are quite a few idiots out there that don't adapt their driving to suit the snowy/icey conditons.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
Old November 30 2012, 11:06 AM   #37
Starkers
Admiral

Oh ain't that the truth!

Old November 30 2012, 12:18 PM   #38
MacLeod
Admiral

I loathe driving in snow, and I've crawled along at 10-15 mph (in a 60 zone) which was the limit any faster and you could feel the car losing traction.
Old November 30 2012, 12:20 PM   #39
Retu
Lieutenant Commander

That British storm is here now, I guess. We're getting a bit of wind and snow in the Southern Finland: http://www.iltasanomat.fi/kotimaa/ar...520351445.html (article is in Finnish, but pictures will tell more than a thousand words)

Funny thing is, two days ago there wasn't any snow on the ground.
-Sir William Bragg
Retu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2012, 12:37 AM   #40
MacLeod
Admiral

JayOwl wrote: View Post
^There's been at least 3 or 4 times with countrywide heavy snow in the last 4 years though. It's becoming more common, of the top of my head, last winter was the first that we had none since 2008 and that's here in the Southwest. In the north obviously it's much more common.
The problem is that some parts are more affected by others, in the area where I live, yes we've had a little bit of snow, but no where near as bad as some parts of the country. Some winters you are listening to the news about heavy snow yet outside there isn't even a flake of the white stuff.

So how do you allocate resources? Do you focus them on certain areas? And how do you justify it to the taxpayers that you are only allocating resources to certain areas and not the whole country?
Old December 1 2012, 01:57 PM   #41
Dimesdan
Rear Admiral

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dimesdan

Snowy Owl wrote: View Post
I beg to differ. Here in Bath, we had a sizable amount of snow last winter, when I was in London/Surrey (Richmond to be exact) visiting the other halfs brother and sister in law, there was snow in mid Feb while we were there. As for snow this year, a few Sundays ago, we had a massive amount of snow fall in a very short period of time here and around the Mendips. Looking towards Bristol on the way to work though and talking to people coming in from there, it was obvious it had only affected higher ground. It's bloody cold looking out there now, but no snow, just lots of frost.

As for the recent floods, being on much higher ground, we're not likely to flood, although in town, the lower levels of the multistorey car park are still flooded and last Thursday when we had the worst of the down pours, the drains along the main road were backed up and it was like a river so was fun walking along the pavement as well as the Avon breaching it's banks at multiple points.

I'm on twitter now. @DimesDaniel
Dimesdan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2012, 01:10 AM   #42
JayOwl
Vice Admiral

^Well I live in probably the mildest part of the country as far as temperature goes, I know there's been snow in other places. My point was, it's becoming much more frequent that once in ten years so really it is worth spending money to deal with it.
Old December 2 2012, 01:24 AM   #43
MacLeod
Admiral

Still hard to justify tens if not hundreds of millions of pounds to protect/prepare against perhaps what amounts to a a couple of weeks worth of snow. After all you would have to provide it nationwide every year just in case.

Would it not be better to use that money on upgrading flood defenses? Which could be rolled out of the course of several years. So for example in 2013 BEdfordshire and Herefordshire have money spend on them and in 2014 Lancashire and Lanarkshire etc..
Old December 2 2012, 01:45 AM   #44
JayOwl
Vice Admiral

I agree that flood defenses are much more important, but every time there's a load of snow and the country stops running millions are lost anyway. Wouldn't it work out better in the long run?
Old December 2 2012, 08:42 PM   #45
Rhubarbodendron
Commodore

I'd do both, just in case. And if lives get saved, it's a good investment IMO.