Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Enterprise

Enterprise The final frontier has a new beginning in this forum!

Old November 29 2012, 09:44 PM   #16
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Re: First time watching Enterprise!

"Polarizing the hull plating" basically means running an electric charge through the plates, which hardens their molecular... somethingorother... makes them stronger. While charged.

I learned that on this site. It's NEVER explained on the show!
Old November 29 2012, 10:01 PM   #17
R. Star
Rear Admiral

KingDaniel wrote: View Post
"Polarizing the hull plating" basically means running an electric charge through the plates, which hardens their molecular... somethingorother... makes them stronger. While charged.

Enterprise went way to far with the primitive names for the same technologies the TOS/TNG era had.

Phase cannons, polarize the hull plating, and what not. Even though they essentially did the exact same thing in the other shows, just not as well.
Old November 29 2012, 10:16 PM   #18
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

Polarize the hull plating cracks me up. Seven syllables when a torpedo is coming right at you.

"PLATES!!!" that's what should have been said when in an attack situation. You can save the shmancy stuff for when you're slowly making your way ithrough a potentially dangerous zone.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2012, 10:22 PM   #19
R. Star
Rear Admiral

teacake wrote: View Post
Polarize the hull plating cracks me up. Seven syllables when a torpedo is coming right at you.

"PLATES!!!" that's what should have been said when in an attack situation. You can save the shmancy stuff for when you're slowly making your way ithrough a potentially dangerous zone.
I always love in Trek in general, not just Enterprise, that the tactical officer always has to be TOLD to raise the shield/polarize the plates when they're under attack.

I'd have just loved for Worf to snap back, "Oh it's a good thing you TOLD me to raise the shields, otherwise I was just going to let this Klingon ship continue blowing the crap out of us."
Old November 29 2012, 10:36 PM   #20
Melakon
Rear Admiral

In every single series, approaching a planet for the first time, a captain always said "Standard orbit, [helmsman]." Rarely did a helm officer volunteer that they were initiating standard orbit, though it must have been part of normal approach procedure.
Melakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2012, 10:50 PM   #21
teacake
Admiral

R. Star wrote: View Post

I always love in Trek in general, not just Enterprise, that the tactical officer always has to be TOLD to raise the
Valuable seconds. How many lives have been lost because someone has to wait for that order.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old November 29 2012, 11:13 PM   #22
Merlanthe
Lieutenant Commander

KingDaniel wrote: View Post

Ah so thats what it means. But still even if running a current through it makes the hull stronger once its been damaged even slightly the current will be disrupted and go 'offline' so kinda makes the whole hull plating thing redundant technology.

Reed: the hull plating is online and will protect us....oh wait the hulls been damaged by an enemy torpedo there goes the hull plating now wer just a sitting target.

kinda a logic failure for whichever writer came up with that idea as it would have made more sense to just have shields from the get go (im kinda hoping they get shields at some point and dont keep the hull plating for all four seasons)
Old November 30 2012, 12:03 AM   #23
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

Merlanthe wrote: View Post
Okay so i recently acquired the complete all 4 seasons of Enterprise on dvd. I've only ever seen a handful of episodes from the first season back when the show first premiered on tv (gosh it seems so long long ago) and a couple episodes that were on my borg/time travel/alternate reality fan collectives.

So i wouldnt say i was a complete stranger to the series but apart from the aforementioned handful of episodes i have a lot of unseen material and am quite excited at the prospect of the many many epsiodes (entire seasons of episodes!) of unseen trek that i have yet to discover

Im going to post my thoughts on each episode on this thread in case any one is interested to read them starting with my thoughts on the pilot Broken Bow tomorrow.
Welcome to Enterprise, Merlanthe! I hope you enjoy it. I look forward to seeing how you see the characters and such, especially Archer. He's got his bright spots.

Shanndee wrote: View Post
I'll read along as well!

Maybe by the time you reach the end of season 2 I'll even watch along with you. I was trying to do a re-watch/first time watch of the series, but Hubby gave up before the end of season 2. I wasn't having fun watching alone [and its hard to get the TV to myself when he's home] so I stopped too.

I was going to try to watch along with S/UF, but she moved through the series really fast! We'll see how this goes!

Should I bring some spinach dip?
Yes, it's taking me about 15 weeks to get through all 4 seasons. I try to watch an episode a day, or if I miss days, then I'll usually clump a few together on the weekend. Sorry about that.

I'm not sure what I'll watch next. I was leaning towards Voyager because for the life of me, I only can remember one episode that I saw in the past when it was on t.v. I already started TNG, so I might do that one. I don't know... It sounds like this thread will be easier to keep up with, though. Have fun watching!

R. Star wrote: View Post
teacake wrote: View Post

I always love in Trek in general, not just Enterprise, that the tactical officer always has to be TOLD to raise the shield/polarize the plates when they're under attack.

I'd have just loved for Worf to snap back, "Oh it's a good thing you TOLD me to raise the shields, otherwise I was just going to let this Klingon ship continue blowing the crap out of us."
I think the idea was that captains "command" the ship, so they have to tell the crew what to do, but when you really look at some of these things, that doesn't make sense. People do know how to do their jobs, or they wouldn't have them. That would have been a funny blooper moment, though...

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Spock/Uhura Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2012, 01:08 AM   #24
Merlanthe
Lieutenant Commander

Random announcement i just realised i have now made 50 posts and can have an avatar yaaay
Old November 30 2012, 01:10 AM   #25
teacake
Admiral

Congratulations!!

You are now a real person

(my favorite in your pics is the Destiny one)

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old November 30 2012, 01:10 AM   #26
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

Lovin' the Deep Space Nine.

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Spock/Uhura Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2012, 01:20 AM   #27
jespah
Commodore

View jespah's Twitter Profile

W00t! Yay shiny new av!
jespah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2012, 01:42 AM   #28
Melakon
Rear Admiral

Congrats!

I have to wait another week for mine, but have a fancy one planned if gifs can be uploaded.
Old November 30 2012, 01:52 AM   #29
Merlanthe
Lieutenant Commander

This is my favourite avatar i try to use it in every forum i belong to where i can but someone else gets the credit for making it. I've forgotten who it was but they created it and posted it on the gateworld forum saying anyone who wanted it was free to adopt it

Melakon when i added my avatar it actually said the file had failed to load but then when i looked on the forum it had magically appeared on all my previous posts so when you do get to upload your gif if it tells you it didnt load properly be sure to double check that the computer isnt lying to you.
Old November 30 2012, 02:29 AM   #30
Melakon
Rear Admiral

My only worry is the gif will be outside the file size limit, I'm still tweaking it. If it won't fit, I'll just do a still shot but it won't be the Melakon character.