Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 26 2012, 11:52 PM   #1891
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Re: sf/f TV development news - 2012

Highlander quasi-knockoff at NBC.

Bloodline, which reflects Graziano’s love of pulp, graphic novels and ancient mythology, is a contemporary pulp action thriller which follows the story of Bird Benson, a young woman abandoned at birth by an ancient line of mercenaries, brigands and killers. Bird must learn to defeat her own mother in armed combat if she ever wants to lead a normal life.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2012, 12:26 AM   #1892
Kegg
Rear Admiral

I see he worked on Terra Nova and Awake both of which had some promise, and it's not the worst idea for a TV show (although I note the description doesn't actually contain any specific supernatural elements, so there's a possibiltiy the program isn't SFF).
Old November 27 2012, 01:28 AM   #1893
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

I figured if the guy is interested in mythology, it's inevitable...
Old November 27 2012, 04:52 AM   #1894
sojourner
Vice Admiral

That doesn't sound anything like Highlander to me.
Old November 27 2012, 02:05 PM   #1895
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

sojourner wrote: View Post
That doesn't sound anything like Highlander to me.
It sounds like it might fulfill the "There can be only One", but, yea no indication of Immortality or Supernaturalness.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2012, 02:35 AM   #1896
JD
Admiral

Yeah, I'm not seeing it either based on that description.
Old November 28 2012, 02:41 AM   #1897
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

It reminded me more of Highlander than anything else, and it definitely reminds me of something...ancient secret society...single combat...maybe Buffy?

But mainly I was just counting on you guys to help bump the thread.
Old November 29 2012, 08:23 PM   #1898
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

CBS orders Stephen King adaptation, Under the Dome.

A big depature for CBS, if it goes to series. I wonder if their ratings drop this season has finally motivqted them to stop relying on their aging cop show audience. That can't last forever...

The show was originally being developed for Showtime.

In a departure from its signature drama procedurals, CBS has given a 13-episode straight-to-series order to Steven Spielberg and Stephen King’s Under the Dome, a drama based on King’s bestselling 2009 novel, which will be produced by Spielberg’s Amblin Television. The series will air next summer which will mark CBS’ biggest effort with original scripted fare in the off-season in years with Under The Dome and Unforgettable. Under the Dome tells the story of a small New England town that is suddenly and inexplicably sealed off from the rest of the world by an enormous transparent dome. The town’s inhabitants must deal with surviving the post-apocalyptic conditions while searching for answers to what this barrier is, where it came from and if and when it will go away.
Old November 30 2012, 03:04 AM   #1899
Borgminister

Sounds like a potential yawner, just like the deteriorating Revolution...
Borgminister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2012, 04:26 AM   #1900
sojourner
Vice Admiral

I actually think Revolution has improved since it premiered. That's not saying much, but it's gotten good enough that I'll continue to watch it for now.
Old November 30 2012, 07:15 AM   #1901
AviTrek
Fleet Captain

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
CBS orders Stephen King adaptation, Under the Dome.

A big depature for CBS, if it goes to series. I wonder if their ratings drop this season has finally motivqted them to stop relying on their aging cop show audience. That can't last forever...

The show was originally being developed for Showtime.

In a departure from its signature drama procedurals, CBS has given a 13-episode straight-to-series order to Steven Spielberg and Stephen King’s Under the Dome, a drama based on King’s bestselling 2009 novel, which will be produced by Spielberg’s Amblin Television. The series will air next summer which will mark CBS’ biggest effort with original scripted fare in the off-season in years with Under The Dome and Unforgettable. Under the Dome tells the story of a small New England town that is suddenly and inexplicably sealed off from the rest of the world by an enormous transparent dome. The town’s inhabitants must deal with surviving the post-apocalyptic conditions while searching for answers to what this barrier is, where it came from and if and when it will go away.
Its already been ordered straight to series. The real question is how will it do? Of course if this bombs over the summer, then it will further discourage CBS from future sci if productions.
AviTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2012, 11:49 PM   #1902
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Yeah, this is a huge risk for CBS, they have high standards for ratings, and the premise is an odd one for their usual audience to buy into, but the way things are going, maybe their standards will deteriorate before this premieres?

CW planning Wonder Woman series?

UPDATE: No reason for panic, Wonder Woman fans. While the warrior princess character is listed on the breakdown as Iris, not Diana, I’ve confirmed that, as writer Allan Heinberg hinted on Twitter after I posted the story, that is just a code name the producers used to avoid attention. So much for that…

On the breakdown I’ve obtained, her name is Iris (not Diana). “Iris comes from a remote, secluded country and until now has spent most of her life as a soldier and a leader on the battlefield. Because of relentless brutality of her life at home, Iris looks at our world with absolute awe and astonishment. She’s delighted *and just as often horrified * by the aspects of everyday life that we take for granted: skyscrapers, traffic, ice cream. It’s all new and fascinating and sometimes slightly troubling *to her. Iris is completely unschooled in our world, our culture, our customs. And she’s completely inexperienced at interpersonal relationships. She has no social filter, does not suffer fools, and tends to do and say exactly what’s on her mind at all times. She’s bluntly, refreshingly honest. She can tell when you’re lying to her. And she doesn’t have time or patience for politics or tact because she’s too busy trying to experience everything our world has to offer. There are too many sights to see *and things to learn *and people to care for. Hers is a true, noble, and generous heart. And she will fight and die for the people she loves. Iris is a fierce warrior with the innocent heart of a romantic *and she will fight to the death to make the world safe for innocents and true romantics everywhere.”
Avoid attention? Yeah right. It's WINO I tell ya!
Old December 6 2012, 05:44 AM   #1903
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

ABC Orders Paranormal Investigation Drama Series ‘Weird Desk’ For Next
Summer

he network has given a
13-episode straight-to-series order to mystery supernatural/UFO drama Weird Desk for next summer. The show hails from Christina Jennings’ Canadian production company Shaftesbury, which has an U.S. division.

Written by Carl Binder (Stargate) and David Titcher (The Librarian), Weird Desk is in the vein of The X Files. Based on the alleged real-life mysteries from this world and beyond, it centers on the workings of a clandestine organization rumored to be named “Weird Desk.” Working above the levels of top secret and above the office of the President, the unit is the destination for mysterious intelligence rerouted from the CIA and NSA. Tasked with investigating and solving occurrences of the paranormal, supernatural and sometimes extra-terrestrial, “Weird Desk” is led by Morgan, an obstinate, socially inept and brilliant man who would now be dead if it weren’t for his special forces trained partner, Rosetta.
Old December 6 2012, 06:38 PM   #1904
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

^^^ Good lord, have some writers/producers/network executives lost any sense of originality? Why don't they name the characters Murey and Stephine too?
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2012, 07:31 PM   #1905
Christopher
Writer

DarthTom wrote: View Post
^^^ Good lord, have some writers/producers/network executives lost any sense of originality?
Every story or format has been done before. Originality is in the execution -- in the characters, the style, the quality of the writing, etc.

That said, this tidbit isn't enough to get me interested in the show. But of course they're not going to reveal any details at this stage.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote