Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old November 29 2012, 07:07 PM   #1
los2188
Commander

Insurrection

There's something about Insurrection that I've always kind of wondered about. The Ba'ku weren't indigenous to that planet, but obviously they benefited from the "fountain of youth" on that planet. If the Ba'ku were so...enlightened and nice, for lack of better words, why wouldn't they just share the planet with others for the purpose of helping others? I mean they are a population of 600. They wouldn't even take up a fourth of the planet. Why not have their small area, and open up maybe 50% of the other side of the planet where the sick can come for help for medical reasons?
Old November 29 2012, 07:37 PM   #2
EyalM
Captain

Re: Insurrection

Do we actually know that they didn't want others on their planet?
There is a reference to the Sona being too ill to benefit from the planet naturally, which is why they needed to harvest the rings. That implies that the option of settling somewhere else on the planet at least came up.
And then there's the Quark deleted scene where Picard decides for everyone else that there will be no SPAs there. What a jerk.
Old November 29 2012, 07:40 PM   #3
Sandoval
Fleet Captain

los2188 wrote: View Post
There's something about Insurrection that I've always kind of wondered about. The Ba'ku weren't indigenous to that planet, but obviously they benefited from the "fountain of youth" on that planet. If the Ba'ku were so...enlightened and nice, for lack of better words, why wouldn't they just share the planet with others for the purpose of helping others? I mean they are a population of 600. They wouldn't even take up a fourth of the planet. Why not have their small area, and open up maybe 50% of the other side of the planet where the sick can come for help for medical reasons?
They were selfish.
Old November 29 2012, 07:41 PM   #4
SchwEnt
Fleet Captain

I agree. What the hell kind of people are they?

Six hundred people claiming a whole planet for themselves. If it was solely to maintain their agrarian hippie commune, that'd be one thing. They want everyone to stay out of their backyard just because.

But to deny incredible medical benefits to the galaxy for the sake of upsetting their lifestyle is selfish. What total scumbag dicks!
SchwEnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2012, 07:42 PM   #5
Sandoval
Fleet Captain

SchwEnt wrote: View Post
I agree. What the hell kind of people are they?
Complete bastards.
Old November 29 2012, 08:00 PM   #6
R. Star
Rear Admiral

For being the people we're supposed to sympathize with in the film, they really were self-entitled jerks.

They spout nonsensical phrases that imply moral superiority where none exists, they exile anyone who disagrees with them, which is basically a death sentence given the immortality, they don't even entertain the notion of moving to help billions of people with the medical science, and as much as they believe in pacifism, they're hypocritical in having no objections to having lackeys fight on their behalf.

Even when Aniij just pompously flops down in the boat, you figure she just may as well spout out, "row slaves." Then at the send when the "good" Sona return home, well too bad they're still gonna die like it was said earlier. Yeah to an immortal race a couple years of putting up with their exiled relatives isn't too bad since they're gonna die anyways. They get to live in hippy utopia, the Federation doesn't get the medical technology which could save billions during the middle of a destructive war, and the Federation have actively made an enemy during that said war. But Picard gets to shag the Baku chick, so it's a happy ending.
Old November 29 2012, 08:22 PM   #7
SchwEnt
Fleet Captain

Right on. Screw the Baku, those scumbags.

And then making it worse, Picard and crew are the ones defending these jerks.
SchwEnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2012, 08:22 PM   #8
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

How would they know if you make a settlement on the other side of the planet?
Old November 29 2012, 08:35 PM   #9
Sandoval
Fleet Captain

bigdaddy wrote: View Post
Mystical powers obviously.
Old November 29 2012, 08:37 PM   #10
los2188
Commander

bigdaddy wrote: View Post
I'm talking about the Ba'ku actively letting people (not that they could actually stop people from coming) settle on the planet. People requesting from the Ba'ku to be able to live there with their knowledge, but wanting to let the Ba'ku still do their thing and just settling on another side of the planet or something. They should have listened to Spock. Apparently, the needs of the many did not outweigh the needs of the few...or the one.
Old November 29 2012, 09:57 PM   #11
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Sandoval wrote: View Post
los2188 wrote: View Post
They were selfish.
Wait they were asked at some point?

When did this happen in the film?

All I remember is the typical corrupt admiral who is always the bad guy in these situations doing the typical corrupt admiral bad guy things, such as hiding what he plans to do and his allies shooting Data for finding out about it, then trying to get Picard to kill Data to keep him quiet, and planning to kidnap the natives and never let them know what was going on.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2012, 10:11 PM   #12
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

The whole movie makes no sense.

Why even bring an unknown element (Data) on a top secret mission like this? Why did you need people on the ground doing scans when sensors have been shown to give incredible accuracy from orbit? Why hide a spaceship with transporters and a cloak in a lake?

Dougherty deserved to die for his sheer incompetence and Picard should've been drummed out of the service for continuously disobeying orders.

One of the dumbest fucking movies I've ever seen. They had an interesting concept but fucked it up just about every way imaginable.
Old November 30 2012, 03:28 AM   #13
jayrath
Fleet Captain

It's a retread of "Who Watches the Watchers," or whatever the TNG title was. Pretty loopy on TV, but still better done there. 'Nough said.
jayrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2012, 05:16 AM   #14
sonak
Vice Admiral

this gets brought up a lot. The movie fails because the "central dilemma" is stupid and the Baku are selfish and unsympathetic. Therefore there are no stakes to care about with them.

"but, but... 600 selfish non-native space hippies might get inconvenienced!"

yeah, great narrative hook, there.

Oh, and the lame, juvenile humor doesn't help the movie either.
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2012, 06:35 AM   #15
Melakon
Vice Admiral

sonak wrote: View Post
Oh, and the lame, juvenile humor doesn't help the movie either.
"And have you noticed how your boobs have started to firm up?"

What was Michael Piller thinking? Or drinking? Maybe that line was Rick Berman's contribution.