Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

View Poll Results: Grade Blood & Chrome...
Excellent 43 34.96%
Above Average 53 43.09%
Average 24 19.51%
Below Average 3 2.44%
Poor 0 0%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 26 2012, 05:14 PM   #271
milo bloom
Fleet Captain

Re: Battlestar Galactica: Blood & Chrome - Grading & Discussion

I'm still hoping for an explanation of why the fleet was still so built up during the long period between the end of the war and opening of the mini-series. Was it just because they were in a "cold war" and kept up the fleet just in case? Was there intra-colony warfare before the Cylons that led to them having a fleet like that?
Old November 26 2012, 05:47 PM   #272
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

milo bloom wrote: View Post
I'm still hoping for an explanation of why the fleet was still so built up during the long period between the end of the war and opening of the mini-series. Was it just because they were in a "cold war" and kept up the fleet just in case? Was there intra-colony warfare before the Cylons that led to them having a fleet like that?
I thought the implied reason was that the Colonies were never totally convinced the Cylons would honor the armistice in perpetuity, and in fact some even agitated to "finish what they started."
My blog
Old November 26 2012, 05:53 PM   #273
Kegg
Rear Admiral

And militaries as organizations like to perpetuate themselves. Military-industrial complex and whatnot.
Old November 26 2012, 06:17 PM   #274
milo bloom
Fleet Captain

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
I thought the implied reason was that the Colonies were never totally convinced the Cylons would honor the armistice in perpetuity, and in fact some even agitated to "finish what they started."

I guess that's always been the best explanation, but how about their overall readiness and knowledge of tactics? Constant wargames?
Old November 26 2012, 06:29 PM   #275
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

I guess that's always been the best explanation, but how about their overall readiness and knowledge of tactics? Constant wargames?
Yes, one would assume there were lots of exercises, as there are in our real world militaries. They don't sit around doing nothing all the time.
My blog
Old November 26 2012, 10:19 PM   #276
pst
Lieutenant Commander

Yes, one would assume there were lots of exercises, as there are in our real world militaries. They don't sit around doing nothing all the time.
it's also explicitly stated somewhere in the series (did a quick scan if the wiki but couldn't locate specifics, sorry) that certain colonies were troublemakers.
Old November 26 2012, 11:02 PM   #277
milo bloom
Fleet Captain

pst wrote: View Post

it's also explicitly stated somewhere in the series (did a quick scan if the wiki but couldn't locate specifics, sorry) that certain colonies were troublemakers.
I must have missed that last bit. I would love to see a movie tackling that subject.
Old November 26 2012, 11:15 PM   #278
Kegg
Rear Admiral

^
That's basically Tom Zarek's entire backstory.
Old November 26 2012, 11:33 PM   #279
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

The Taurons, Saggitarons, and Gemenese all seemed to be problematic in one way or another.
My blog
Old November 29 2012, 05:43 AM   #280
Lyon_Wonder
Commander

The hybrid organic-mechanical eel on the ice planet is the forerunner to the Cylon's hybrid-organic and creature-like raiders decades afterward in BSG.
Old November 29 2012, 10:02 AM   #281
pst
Lieutenant Commander

Lyon_Wonder wrote: View Post
The hybrid organic-mechanical eel on the ice planet is the forerunner to the Cylon's hybrid-organic and creature-like raiders decades afterward in BSG.
not a bad theory. almost makes the fact that they put it in a little more tolerable. almost.
Old November 29 2012, 02:33 PM   #282
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

I like that idea. The organic Raiders are described as "animals" and "pets," so it would make a good bit of sense that they had to experiment for a while to create a synthetic animal they could control and put to tactical use.
My blog
Old November 29 2012, 04:22 PM   #283
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

View Ancient Mariner's Twitter Profile

I like that idea. The organic Raiders are described as "animals" and "pets," so it would make a good bit of sense that they had to experiment for a while to create a synthetic animal they could control and put to tactical use.
The Cylon Raider "pets" idea was the first thing that popped into my mind during that B&C scene. Makes sense to me.
Old November 29 2012, 04:27 PM   #284
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

Samuel Walters wrote: View Post
The Cylon Raider "pets" idea was the first thing that popped into my mind during that B&C scene. Makes sense to me.
It'd be kind of interesting to see the Cylon mad scientist who had to come up with these things, too.

Or maybe it's just a deranged human working with them.

Or one (or more) of the Final Five.
My blog
Old November 29 2012, 08:17 PM   #285
Mutenroshi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mutenroshi

Or that old dude from Razor (I like the theory that it could be Graystone, btw...)

Jack Beauregard: "You shine like the door of a whorehouse!"
Nobody: "I like folks to see me."