RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,693
Members: 24,208
Currently online: 817
Newest member: meshman63

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 45 25.71%
A 48 27.43%
A- 29 16.57%
B+ 14 8.00%
B 8 4.57%
B- 11 6.29%
C+ 4 2.29%
C 4 2.29%
C- 7 4.00%
D+ 2 1.14%
D 1 0.57%
D- 0 0%
F 2 1.14%
Voters: 175. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 27 2012, 09:42 PM   #331
T'Baio
Admiral

Re: Skyfall - Grading & Discussion

Ian Keldon wrote: View Post
T'Baio wrote: View Post
I wasn't aware you were the arbiter of legitimate points of view on TBBS.

Good to know. Thanks.
I wasn't aware that you get shirty when someone points out the absurdity of your opinion.

Good to know. Thanks.
What's "shirty" mean?
On Facebook
T'Baio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2012, 04:11 AM   #332
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Starkers wrote: View Post
trevanian wrote: View Post
Starkers wrote: View Post

As I said upthred, it wasn't abou protectng M, it was aout protecting everyone else.Number of innocent civilians killed by Slva after Bond kidnaps M? Zero.
No, it's just idiot plotting, arbitrary as hell. The people put at risk if they'd had SAS tucked away in Scotland wouldn't be innocent civilians, they'd be professionals and 'risk is our business' isn't it? Going the HIGH NOON route puts SKYFALL squarely in the OUTLAND territory of retreading a classic but doing so out of context, which invalidates the whole thing (but at least OUTLAND had Sean Connery!)

Bond (if you even consider this character in the 21st century films to even be Bond) has failed in two out of three movies -- oddly enough, the ones that most people, not me, fawn all over. Quantum got away with the money in CR, and he failed to save M -- thank God! -- in this one.

Even the 'old school' bare bones notion of action doesn't hold water, because they're still using a gadgeted-up Aston Martin (trotted in from another continuum!) and using it badly, since it should have been parked FACING the badguys, which would have taken them out before they got close.

So arbitrary it is like Lucas wrote it.
What a great idea, point the car with the fixed guns away from the house! That’ll do some good against Silva’s goons stretched out in a big long skirmish line, much cleverer than facing those fixed guns towards the front door that most of the goons were going to have to congregate in front of in a big, easy to hit bundle…
They have to come past, you can start the car and pivot, you're also getting them BEFORE they get near the place, thinning the numbers that much more, AND you can drive away as they go for cover, assuming you don't get them all, but ... y'know what? this is like the old days trying to talk sense to ENTERPRISE fans. If you can't see that every bit of 'strategy' in this is horseshit, then revel in your POV.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2012, 06:58 AM   #333
Brikar99
Rear Admiral

trevanian wrote: View Post

They have to come past, you can start the car and pivot, you're also getting them BEFORE they get near the place, thinning the numbers that much more, AND you can drive away as they go for cover, assuming you don't get them all, but ... y'know what? this is like the old days trying to talk sense to ENTERPRISE fans. If you can't see that every bit of 'strategy' in this is horseshit, then revel in your POV.
And losing every element of surprise that Bond desperately needs to overcome a larger, more heavily armed force. Driving the car around a field in Scotland trying to run down mercenaries is absurdly stupid... dare I say, "horseshit."
Old November 28 2012, 12:02 PM   #334
Starkers
Admiral

Yeah, the DB5's guns are great for what they're designed to do, i.e. engage other vehicles in combat or hit a static target, against a bunch of men they're useless unless you can bunch those men up to make a big target. The notion that you could start the car up and "pivot" is daft, it's not some kind of hover car, it's a 1960's sports car, which just adds to the ludicrousness of the idea of haring around the countryside trying to take out a bunch of armed men.

The car won’t move great over that ground, it's not a 4x4, it's used to roads not uneven/icy ground, in fact it might not move at all, and even if it does it’s going to move slowly, so what you have is a slow moving big target, vs. lots of more manoeuvrable smaller targets with automatic weapons.

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2012, 12:05 PM   #335
lurok
Commodore

Maybe they're getting it mixed up with the Batman Returns batmobile?
Old November 28 2012, 12:08 PM   #336
Starkers
Admiral

Now if 007 had had that it'd have been worth taking the fight to the bad guys!

Old November 29 2012, 01:26 PM   #337
Dimesdan
Rear Admiral

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dimesdan

"People who perpetually hunt for witches to burn inevitably find them..." as the saying goes.
Arn't you the same chap who created a thread a while back comparing the fictional Empire from Star Wars with the not at all fictional Third Reich and thus anyone who likes said Empire being a sympathiser with said non-fictional regime?

Pot, Kettle, Black anyone?

I'm on twitter now. @DimesDaniel
Dimesdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2012, 05:08 PM   #338
Gaith
Rear Admiral

^ Perhaps we can all agree that, while opinions may vary on the wisdom of the car placement, Q was mind-bogglingly irresponsible by not isolating his computer before accessing Silva's?

... And I'm still wondering how he got out of his cell, seeing as he was being watched by two armed guards at a safe distance. Maybe his virus deactivated the guards' nervous systems?

And M should never have let anyone on 00 duty who couldn't reliably hit a stationary target at his leisure in a shooting-range setting.

Mister Fandango wrote: View Post
This wasn't "James Bond Takes on the Slave Trade," you know.
And now I find myself wishing that it was. Given his promiscuity, Bond vs. sex-trade criminals could be a genuinely interesting concept. But his sexing up the girl did strike me as pretty ick also, given the context. And the plot we did get I just didn't find at all compelling.

I wanted and expected to like the movie, but lame drama Q's stupidity and the flashlight drove me up the wall. I give this a C-, worse than QoS's C+ for the weakest Craig entry yet. Skyfail, indeed.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2012, 05:11 PM   #339
Starkers
Admiral

Gaith wrote: View Post
^ Perhaps we can all agree that, while opinions may vary on the wisdom of the car placement, Q was mind-bogglingly irresponsible by not isolating his computer before accessing Silva's?
Oh no question

Old November 29 2012, 05:52 PM   #340
lurok
Commodore

...Bond vs. sex-trade criminals could be a genuinely interesting concept.
Perhaps they can remake Enter The Dragon for the next one?
Old November 29 2012, 07:20 PM   #341
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive

Dimesdan wrote: View Post

"People who perpetually hunt for witches to burn inevitably find them..." as the saying goes.
Arn't you the same chap who created a thread a while back comparing the fictional Empire from Star Wars with the not at all fictional Third Reich and thus anyone who likes said Empire being a sympathiser with said non-fictional regime?

Pot, Kettle, Black anyone?
Very much so.

I wasn't aware you were the arbiter of legitimate points of view on TBBS.

Good to know. Thanks.
I wasn't aware that you get shirty when someone points out the absurdity of your opinion.

Good to know. Thanks.
What's "shirty" mean?
It means he can't marshall enough resolve to be open-minded enough to consider your point, because in doing so it might (God forbid!) acknowledge that he isn't totally right.
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2012, 07:45 PM   #342
Sandoval
Fleet Captain

What's "shirty" mean?
It's when people tuck their shirts into their trousers but the shirts sort of work their way loose and end up ballooning up in that way they tend to do.

You know what I mean?

"Tuck yourself back in, Scott, you're looking a bit shirty."
Old November 29 2012, 07:57 PM   #343
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

lurok wrote: View Post
...Bond vs. sex-trade criminals could be a genuinely interesting concept.
Perhaps they can remake Enter The Dragon for the next one?
Didn't they do that with The Man With The Golden Gun?
Old November 30 2012, 02:45 AM   #344
sojourner
Vice Admiral

and the flashlight drove me up the wall
Wait, what's this about a flashlight?
Old November 30 2012, 06:34 AM   #345
Mister Fandango
Captain

sojourner wrote: View Post
and the flashlight drove me up the wall
Wait, what's this about a flashlight?
"Okay, M, I'm going to sneak you out of this tunnel in the cover of darkness so that the guys with guns just over there can't see us. While doing so, I'm going to wave this flashlight all over the fucking place. No one will be the wiser. Because, you know, we're sneaking. In darkness. With a flashlight I'm flailing around wildly. Solid plan, amirite?!"
Mister Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote