Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 23 2012, 08:36 PM   #1606
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Re: Marvel Now/ReEvolution Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
^Wasn't that the Justice League?
The UN treated the JLI like little bitches.

This was twenty years later and it was like France was in charge.

"We're too impotent, please be our masters!"

Which kinda proved every supervillian right that the world is full of sheep waiting to be lead.

There were black holes stealing cities I think.

i wish i could recall the issue numbers.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2012, 09:01 PM   #1607
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

Guess I missed those issues. I might even be glad about it.
Old November 23 2012, 10:04 PM   #1608
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

besides remember how the US government freaked in the JLU cartoon when they found out that their satellite had been weaponized with alien hardware? The Romans spent 200 years arguing down the idea of a fire department because they didn't want an organized and trained body of men inside the city limits who might at any point be repurposed for political measures.

TWO HUNDRED YEARS!

If the Avengers are going to turn into a massive army... Don't you think that the US government is going to be mildly concerned and try something stupid again like outlawing super powers, reinstating the capekillers or civilian oversight?

Think about the similarities between Avengers Mansion and Waco.

Everything could go so wrong so quickly.

Old November 28 2012, 04:03 AM   #1609
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

For those of you who haven't tried out awesome Matt Fraction's Hawkeye book yet, a good issue to give it a go will be issue 7.

The issue is being rushed through and will feature two stories about a hurricane hitting NYC and Clint and Kate's efforts to help the people.

The reason to buy this book is that Matt Fraction is giving his royalties and such from the sales of the issue to victims of Hurricane Sandy.
Old November 28 2012, 04:14 AM   #1610
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
besides remember how the US government freaked in the JLU cartoon when they found out that their satellite had been weaponized with alien hardware? The Romans spent 200 years arguing down the idea of a fire department because they didn't want an organized and trained body of men inside the city limits who might at any point be repurposed for political measures.

TWO HUNDRED YEARS!

If the Avengers are going to turn into a massive army... Don't you think that the US government is going to be mildly concerned and try something stupid again like outlawing super powers, reinstating the capekillers or civilian oversight?

The 50 States Initiative was already close to a military force.

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
Finished "Indestructible Hulk #1" and absolutely loved it. Mark Waid is perfect for this book and Lenil Yu's art (which I don't normally like) compliments the writing. I enjoyed Jason Aaron's run but this is much better and I'm interested in seeing where this goes. It had an "Avengers" film feel to it. The banter between 616 Coulson and Maria was awesome LOL.
Agreed. Strong first issue.

I also thought Aaron's first arc was fairly strong. It went downhill exponentially after that. Hoping for better out of Waid.
Waid's a far better writer than Aaron. I don't think the latter has had any book that didn't quickly go down hill after the first arc.

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Guess I missed those issues. I might even be glad about it.
No it was actually a decent arc. The OP is leaving out the fact that just prior to this, Kang had conquered the entire planet and destroyed a chunk of Washington DC before the Avengers had drove him off.
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2012, 04:26 AM   #1611
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

"Wolverine and the X-Men" IMO has remained consistent since Aaron started it, it is probably my favourite Marvel book right now. To be fair regarding "Incredible Hulk" I've often wondered if Aaron knew it was going to be as short as it was? Basically almost felt like a mini-series, even though it was probably intended originally as an ongoing. I wonder how late the decision to do "Indestructible Hulk"?

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2012, 08:43 AM   #1612
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Hound of UIster wrote: View Post
Guy Gardener wrote: View Post

TWO HUNDRED YEARS!

The 50 States Initiative was already close to a military force.
I don't think Cap is planning on working hand in hand with the US Government this time. Actually last time Cap implicitly chose not to be answerable to the US Government which lead to the Civil War Scuffle. He's had some real trouble with "administrations" over the years, even though he firmly believe's in the spirit of America. hell i can think of twice that the Red Scull turned out to be a highly placed political figure within inches of taking the presidency if he could have been bothered.

But yes, the 50 State Initiative was a paramilitary peace keeping force answerable to SHIELD and the local authorities. It was Avengers in name only. Checks and balances would have kept those heroes beholden to tyrants like Stark and Osborn.

The Vision, while he was temporarily insane, was planning on taking over the world by franchising the Avengers in the 80s which by the final count had some very positive ramifications over than the world leaders collectively deciding to lobotomise the Vision.

Actually, if the vision has recovered all his old memories at some point since 1987, shouldn't there be some pay back or precautions?

Old November 28 2012, 11:19 PM   #1613
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

After reading all new X-Men... I really think that Hank is only pretending to over play his hand. They're clones or robots or brainwashed superskrulls. It was insane how they kept saying "lets go get the professor" and Beast kept finding excuses not to, when in truth, he just hadn't made a Professor X doll for this vanity project.

Old November 29 2012, 02:48 AM   #1614
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Hickman is also relaunching New Universe in Avengers/New Avengers.

Edit: And he just posted the initial roster for the Avengers:

Last edited by Hound of UIster; November 29 2012 at 08:08 AM.
Old November 29 2012, 09:16 AM   #1615
Mike Farley
Commodore

Whatever happened to Warren Ellis' New Universe reboot? Just kinda petered out didn't it?
Mike Farley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2012, 09:34 AM   #1616
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

I can't wait for Hickman's Avengers next week. Probably the Marvel Now book I've been most excited for.

Old November 30 2012, 12:22 AM   #1617
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Mike Farley wrote: View Post
Whatever happened to Warren Ellis' New Universe reboot? Just kinda petered out didn't it?
Like most everything he has done for Marvel.
Old November 30 2012, 06:20 AM   #1618
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

I loved All-New X-Men 2. I enjoyed the first issue, but this issue kicks it into high gear. The first issue should have started out with the OT instead of bringing them in at the end. The scene where Jean puts Wolverine to sleep was the best use of Wolverine in years.

New Avengers 34-- Meh. Bendis closes out his run by ending Luke and Jessica's arc with team and...

The final issue of the first NA run had a lot more heart than this volume's conclusion did.

FF 1 was... OK. I'm not sure how long I'll stick with this book after Franklin and Val leave with their parents. They were actually the draw for me during Hickman's run and as much as I like the rest of the class, it won't be the same without the Richards' kids.

Uncanny Avengers 2 failed to excite. I think I will be dropping this after the first arc is done.
Old November 30 2012, 06:22 AM   #1619
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Next week's previews...
For me, I'll be getting All-New X-Men 3, Avengers 1, Hawkeye 5 and Iron Man 3.
Old November 30 2012, 06:50 AM   #1620
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Uncanny Avengers #2 was very good, I will be following this. I was surprised with Fraction's FF#1...I found it to be much better than his "Fantastic Four #1" and might stick with it a little longer. The biggest surprise for me is All New X-Men. As mentioned with the first issue, it's not the total train wreck I thought it would be, but it's not entirely a home run yet for me either. The best thing about it is Stuart Immonen's art, which is fantastic. I'll be sticking around for a little while longer.

As for next week:

-All New X-Men #3
-Amazing Spider-Man #699 (we see how far back Otto's plan actually goes)
-Avengers #1 (my most anticipated Marvel Now release. HICKMAN ASSEMBLE!!)
-Avenging Spider-Man #15
-Daredevil: End of Days #3
-Deadpool #3 (More dead zombie presidents out there! Wade seeks out Dr. Strange's help)
-Iron Man #3 (This is near dropped, Gillen usually doesn't disappoint either)
-Thunderbolts #1
-Ultimate Comics Ultimates #18.1