Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 28 2012, 08:47 AM   #106
Harvey
Admiral

Re: Is WB simply afraid of Wonder Woman?

Come now. Even if one were to take those films to task for all their sins, Hannah is at least enjoyable for its long take action photography and Prometheus for its excellent production design.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2012, 11:27 AM   #107
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

Harvey wrote: View Post
Come now. Even if one were to take those films to task for all their sins, Hannah is at least enjoyable for its long take action photography and Prometheus for its excellent production design.
You're right, what I said was unfair. But in my opinion, there's no point in looking for nice things to say about mediocre movies: life's too short and there are thousands of good movies I'd rather watch.
Old November 28 2012, 02:53 PM   #108
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Hanna and Prometheus also both had fine lead performances from Ronan and Rapace. Also, please note that I called The Golden Compass my favorite book; I said nothing about the movie.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2012, 03:55 PM   #109
JD
Admiral

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
If you relate to Bella Swan on any level, it's time to give up ad move to Cleveland.
I wasn't talking about any of the specific events or actions in the movie I just meant the ideas in general. All I meant was that it is not impossible for a male to relate to things happening to a female protagonist or the other way around.
Old November 28 2012, 04:23 PM   #110
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

Gaith wrote: View Post
Of course I can relate to emotions experienced by females. The Golden Compass is my favorite book bar none. You don't think I enjoyed Prometheus and Hanna for their compelling male characters, now, do ye?
Yet for some reason you can't relate to actions performed by women such as beating up bad guys, wielding cool gadgets, and being all badass?

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2012, 04:33 PM   #111
Gaith
Rear Admiral

JD wrote: View Post
I wasn't talking about any of the specific events or actions in the movie I just meant the ideas in general. All I meant was that it is not impossible for a male to relate to things happening to a female protagonist or the other way around.
Surely this statement constitutes a BBS Moment of Courage. Who on Earth would say that it was?

(Hint: reread my earlier posts carefully before replying "Gaith".)

Kelthaz wrote: View Post
Of course I can relate to emotions experienced by females. The Golden Compass is my favorite book bar none. You don't think I enjoyed Prometheus and Hanna for their compelling male characters, now, do ye?
Yet for some reason you can't relate to actions performed by women such as beating up bad guys, wielding cool gadgets, and being all badass?
I can't really relate to men or women doing that, as those aren't exactly traits/skills of mine. But while seeing male characters doing so can serve as wish fulfillment/projection fantasies for me personally, female characters can't.

I don't see what's so hard to grok about this. You and JD seem to be making a blithe conflation of relatability with personal wish fulfillment that I never have, and in so doing are beating up on a straw man. Congrats.
Old November 28 2012, 04:40 PM   #112
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

I can't really relate to men or women doing that, as those aren't exactly traits/skills of mine. But while seeing male characters doing so can serve as wish fulfillment/projection fantasies, female characters can't.

I don't see what's so hard to grok about this. You're making a conflation of relatability and wish fulfillment I never have, and in so doing beating up on a straw man.
And why can't women fulfil that same wish fulfilment? What's so hard about watching the badass things the female protagonist is doing and imagining yourself in her position without also picturing yourself with a vagina?

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2012, 05:08 PM   #113
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Kelthaz wrote: View Post
And why can't women fulfil that same wish fulfilment? What's so hard about watching the badass things the female protagonist is doing and imagining yourself in her position without also picturing yourself with a vagina?
Why are you getting so bent out of shape over what I've clearly labeled as my own personal wish fulfillment projections? Would you like to critique my favorite erotic acts, also? Perhaps you'd like to evaluate my preferences in cereal varieties while you're at it?
Old November 29 2012, 01:18 AM   #114
Harvey
Admiral

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
Harvey wrote: View Post
You're right, what I said was unfair. But in my opinion, there's no point in looking for nice things to say about mediocre movies: life's too short and there are thousands of good movies I'd rather watch.
This, on the other hand, is quite fair. Personally, I'm as fascinated by the mediocre movies as the great ones, but I can understand your point-of-view.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2012, 05:25 AM   #115
theenglish
Rear Admiral

I think people forget that Iron Man was the success it was because it was good. It had great reviews and reached a cross audience of people who don't normally like super-hero movies. Salman Rushdie raved about how good it was (granted he also said he didn't like the ending when it turned into a super-hero movie) and normally "snooty" critiques liked it too. This success crossed over to the other Marvel movies.

Wonder Woman, if it is good, will do the same thing as Iron Man.
theenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2012, 02:53 PM   #116
Gaith
Rear Admiral

theenglish wrote: View Post
I think people forget that Iron Man was the success it was because it was good.
No. Nobody has ever for a moment forgotten that.

theenglish wrote: View Post
Wonder Woman, if it is good, will do the same thing as Iron Man.
The mere act of saying so does not make that true. And, on a related matter, where the devil's my Hot Rod 2?!
Old November 29 2012, 07:05 PM   #117
Kegg
Rear Admiral

The issue with Iron Man is not whether or not it was good, but that it got greenlit, and which a Joss Whedon written Wonder Woman could not get done.
Old November 29 2012, 07:21 PM   #118
Redfern
Commodore

Whenever I read the title of this thread, I keep picturing some wimpy, ineffectual upper manager cowering beneath his desk as Wonder Woman leans over it supporting her upper body with her arms (which would provide the pencil pusher a glorious view of her cleavage if he just had the courage to crawl from his hidey-hole).

Sincerely,

Bill

Freighter Tails: the Misadventures of Mzzkiti
Redfern is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2012, 03:48 AM   #119
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

FYI: EW.com has an update on the CW's proposed teen Wonder Woman series, tentatively titled Amazon. Apparently they haven't green-lighted a pilot yet, but they're starting to think about casting.

Could work as a companion series to ARROW. Certainly TV has been a lot more hospitable to female action heroes than movies have: Xena, Alias, Buffy, Nikita (twice), etc.

Not to mention a certain iconic TV series back in the seventies . . ..
Old November 30 2012, 04:35 AM   #120
Fearless
Commodore

^ I am all for 'Amazon'!

http://wonderwomantv.com/5158/wonder...zon-meet-iris/
Fearless is offline   Reply With Quote