Insight Editions Announces Three Trek Books For 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Closed Thread

Old November 29 2012, 02:42 AM   #196
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Synopsis Revealed!!

Ovation wrote: View Post
Stinky would have torn you a new one, back in the day, for such blasphemy.
I'm waiting for Therin to send me my Ushaan invitation.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old November 29 2012, 04:17 AM   #197
Kruezerman
Fleet Captain

Maybe I was looking at this the wrong way, maybe they won't do TMP again, but V'Ger will show up sometime in the future. Come on, a massive living machine? A gold mine. And not every artsy movie was a blockbuster, true. But the studios must love them because why else would they make them?

But I think that our biggest crime in this entire discussion is that we're looking at what Trek should be based on the past. Indeed we're looking at what the entertainment business should be based on the past instead of asking, "What can we do now?"

We're trying to put something in a box where a box simply shouldn't exist, and that hampers our thinking and really destroys the entire purpose of storytelling.

The remake of Battlestar Galactica was a radical departure of the show back in the seventies. It was deeper, more dramatic, and yes, more action-y, and that was that remake. If Ronald D. Moore can do it, if JJ Abrams can do it, what's stopping the future of film-making from being a wild departure from what we consider normal or "good"?

We cannot limit what Trek can be because to do so would limit what art in itself can be, and that utterly defeats the purpose.
"Tonight's a special night."
Old November 29 2012, 04:26 AM   #198
teacake
Admiral

Kruezerman wrote: View Post
Maybe I was looking at this the wrong way, maybe they won't do TMP again, but V'Ger will show up sometime in the future. Come on, a massive living machine? A gold mine.
OH GOD I hope not, let's have people villains with relatable motives and backstories.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old November 29 2012, 04:56 AM   #199
Kruezerman
Fleet Captain

teacake wrote: View Post
Maybe I was looking at this the wrong way, maybe they won't do TMP again, but V'Ger will show up sometime in the future. Come on, a massive living machine? A gold mine.
OH GOD I hope not, let's have people villains with relatable motives and backstories.
Maybe I'm just crazy then.
"Tonight's a special night."
Old November 29 2012, 12:11 PM   #200
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain

Agreed, bring on the Starfleet Cabal.
Old November 29 2012, 03:04 PM   #201
The Wormhole
Admiral

Maybe I was looking at this the wrong way, maybe they won't do TMP again, but V'Ger will show up sometime in the future.
I wouldn't count on it. V'Ger has already been used in a comic series set in the Abramsverse (not the ongoing one, the Nero one that followed up Trek XI). Since Bad Robot supervises comics set in the Abramsverse to make sure they don't cover anything they have plans for, don't expect V'Ger in an Abrams film. Hell, all the novels and comics that have featured V'Ger have almost always tried to shoehorn a connection between it and the Borg (yes, even the Nero comic). If the Borg were never created, it's possible V'Ger may never have been revisited.

And not every artsy movie was a blockbuster, true. But the studios must love them because why else would they make them?
Most artsy movies have limited releases and are usually released around "award season," that time of the year when the Oscars nominees are selected. Studios make them more for prestige than profit. You'll never see an artsy film in multiple theatres at summer in direct competition with the big budget action flicks, the raunchy comedies and kid-friendly cartoons. Those are the movies that get priority since they pull in money and make artsy movies possible.

The remake of Battlestar Galactica was a radical departure of the show back in the seventies. It was deeper, more dramatic, and yes, more action-y, and that was that remake. If Ronald D. Moore can do it, if JJ Abrams can do it, what's stopping the future of film-making from being a wild departure from what we consider normal or "good"?
Ron Moore's BSG was more a critical success than financial. Its ratings, though decent were not impressive, its spin-off Caprica failed and Blood and Chrome was shelved for a couple of years before being burned off as a telemovie. SyFy now fills its programming with wrestling and shows about amateur ghost hunters, and there are plans for BSG to be done as a movie more in the spirit of the original.
Old November 29 2012, 03:50 PM   #202
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Hell, all the novels and comics that have featured V'Ger have almost always tried to shoehorn a connection between it and the Borg (yes, even the Nero comic). If the Borg were never created, it's possible V'Ger may never have been revisited.
There are very few mentions to V'ger at all. To my knowledge the only recent mention has been Ex Machina, where we learn V'ger is happily living it's new existance in another plane, content to stay there.
Old November 29 2012, 04:50 PM   #203
Jeyl
Commodore

We cannot limit what Trek can be because to do so would limit what art in itself can be, and that utterly defeats the purpose.
Gene Roddenberry would disagree.
Old November 29 2012, 04:52 PM   #204
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain

He is dead and the franchise did fine without him.
Old November 29 2012, 05:00 PM   #205
bullethead
Fleet Captain

Drago-Kazov wrote: View Post
He is dead and the franchise did fine without him.
In fact, some people think it did better after he died than when he was still around (post-TOS).
Old November 29 2012, 09:15 PM   #206
ralph
Captain

My bet is Garth of Izar. Don´t forget that Garth was a great military strategist. Perhaps this explains what Pine said "will earn" the captain's chair - winning the best captain of the Fleet
Old November 29 2012, 09:56 PM   #207
teacake
Admiral

ralph wrote: View Post
My bet is Garth of Izar. Don´t forget that Garth was a great military strategist. Perhaps this explains what Pine said "will earn" the captain's chair - winning the best captain of the Fleet
Every time someone says Garth of Izar I get excited which never happened with Gary Mitchell.

Garth of Izar.. but if it is Cumberbatch I want to see him swishing about in that coat, not just in the drabness we've seen so far. Though I guess they weren't going to give us any stills of the coat since that might be too much clue.

Cumberbatch would make a brilliant Garth of Izar.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old November 29 2012, 10:21 PM   #208
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Jeyl wrote: View Post
Gene Roddenberry would disagree.
No, Gene Roddenberry would emphatically agree and completely endorse what Abrams is doing.

I say that with as much authority and knowledge on the subject and the same right to speak for Roddenberry as you have.
Old November 29 2012, 10:34 PM   #209
ralph
Captain

We, Trek Brasilis site, are betting on Garth of Izar. he's a strong character, underexplored, great strategist. It seems to me that he is human from another world, Izar. The writers can show him with more physical strength or others superhuman qualities because of the planet.
Old November 29 2012, 10:48 PM   #210
Pondslider
Lieutenant

ralph wrote: View Post
We, Trek Brasilis site, are betting on Garth of Izar. he's a strong character, underexplored, great strategist. It seems to me that he is human from another world, Izar. The writers can show him with more physical strength or others superhuman qualities because of the planet.
Wasn't he much older than Kirk though? Kirk talks about Garth being his idol in academy. That might explain Peter Weller's character (there's also some resemblance between Weller and Steve Ihrat who played him on the show).

I think the Garth theory makes the most sense if the Enterprise goes to Elba II to release Garth sort of like in that episode in order to help against Cumberbatch's character.
Closed Thread