RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,238
Posts: 5,348,131
Members: 24,611
Currently online: 514
Newest member: fxks323

TrekToday headlines

Insight Editions Announces Three Trek Books For 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

IDW Publishing Comic Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old November 28 2012, 03:54 PM   #4816
Brikar99
Rear Admiral
 
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
I watched Superman II last night. It's, good... But damn did Lester just smuck it up a lot with slapstick nonsense.
It's incredible how the tone of that film can veer wildly across the spectrum within the same scene.
__________________
SNW 9: 'Mestral' - 'Ninja Werewolf Assassins!' - Movie/TV reviews: For Reelz
Brikar99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2012, 07:44 PM   #4817
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral
 
JarodRussell's Avatar
 
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

I seem to be one of the few who never liked Superman II, not even the Donner version. I cringe every time I see Zod and company on screen, it's just so silly and ridiculous.
__________________
lol
l
/\
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2012, 08:17 PM   #4818
Gojira
Commodore
 
Gojira's Avatar
 
Location: Stompin' on Tokyo
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

I do admit the tone is uneven. I would have liked to have seen it more toward the serious side but still agreat film for me.

I really am in the mood for a serious Superman movie so I really am excited about Man of Steel next summer.
__________________
My Science Fiction-Fantasy movie review Blog: http://foleyfunfilmfacts.wordpress.com/
Gojira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2012, 09:16 PM   #4819
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral
 
Samurai8472's Avatar
 
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Who's bright idea was it to put in J.W Pepper from the Bond movies in to "Superman 2"?
__________________
"Inception" is a layer cake.
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2012, 09:29 PM   #4820
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral
 
Captaindemotion's Avatar
 
Location: Ireland
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
Who's bright idea was it to put in J.W Pepper from the Bond movies in to "Superman 2"?
I've always assumed that Tom Mankiewics, who was a creative consultant on the first two Superman movies (it was basically he who threw out a lot of the camp of Mario Puzo's screenplay and started to take the project seriously) must have some involvement - after all, he was the writer for Live and Let Die and Man With the Golden Gun, in which Pepper appeared.
__________________
Hodor!!!!!!!
Captaindemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2012, 10:56 PM   #4821
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral
 
JarodRussell's Avatar
 
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Three panels of the storyboard for the climactic sequence got leaked.

Beware. Major Spoilers.

http://oi47.tinypic.com/2hehan6.jpg

Can't wait to see that in the final film.
__________________
lol
l
/\
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2012, 11:04 PM   #4822
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral
 
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
Lest you forget, every superhero film since owes its very soul to those two films.

Hardly. Burton's Batman has been a far more pervasive, lasting influence on these movies in terms of artistic design, story and tone - precisely because he blew away the attitudes that produced movies like Superman.

I liked the first Superman quite a bit, the second one...good for a while, but it doesn't age well.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2012, 02:28 AM   #4823
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral
 
Flying Spaghetti Monster's Avatar
 
Location: Flying Spaghetti Western
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Compared the epic of Donner's first film, it's scope, it's use of poetry, wit, emotion and it's breakthroughs in music, special effects, not to mention how it defined to all of how superheroes can bring out the best in all of us, it makes Burton's film look like a rush job of an amateur.
__________________
Can't we have pills and cook the corn?
Flying Spaghetti Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2012, 02:30 AM   #4824
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral
 
Flying Spaghetti Monster's Avatar
 
Location: Flying Spaghetti Western
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

The second one, nearly as good, beat Peter Parker and Bruce Wayne and everyone else in the angst department while still giving us the most memorable superhero showdown in cinema history.
__________________
Can't we have pills and cook the corn?
Flying Spaghetti Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2012, 03:55 AM   #4825
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral
 
Trekker4747's Avatar
 
Location: Kansas City
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Gojira wrote: View Post
I do admit the tone is uneven. I would have liked to have seen it more toward the serious side but still agreat film for me.

I really am in the mood for a serious Superman movie so I really am excited about Man of Steel next summer.
Even the score over the opening credits is less grand and epic, it just feels like William''s original version only someone spilled Coke all over it and it got all sticky.

The version used in "Superman: Returns" is far more grand and closer to William's score.
__________________
Just because it's futuristic doesn't mean it's practical.
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2012, 04:07 AM   #4826
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral
 
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
Compared the epic of Donner's first film, it's scope, it's use of poetry, wit, emotion and it's breakthroughs in music, special effects, not to mention how it defined to all of how superheroes can bring out the best in all of us, it makes Burton's film look like a rush job of an amateur.
And not surprisingly, you missed the point. I wasn't discussing your personal enthusiasm for Superman, simply pointing out the fact that your assertion "every superhero film since owes its very soul..." to the Superman films is specious.

Modern superhero films depend heavily upon the direction that Burton's Batman took, and not at all on Donner's Superman. The only superhero movie of note since X-Men that owes a debt to Superman in any substantial respect is Superman Returns, and it disappointed Warner Bros.

Is that clearer?

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
The second one, nearly as good, beat Peter Parker and Bruce Wayne and everyone else in the angst department while still giving us the most memorable superhero showdown in cinema history.
That's nonsense. Superman II is a patchwork job, badly written and clumsily edited together from usable footage shot by Donner and new stuff representing a complete change of tone and direction on the part of Richard Lester. It's an entertaining film, but not even a particularly good one. Angst? Nope - goofy, occasionally touching melodrama at best.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2012, 05:55 AM   #4827
Set Harth
Rear Admiral
 
Set Harth's Avatar
 
Location: Gallifrey Falls
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

My Name Is Legion wrote:
and it disappointed Warner Bros.
Because it was required to make $540 million in order to be considered to have made a profit.
__________________
"In the future... do I make it?"
"No."
Set Harth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2012, 06:16 AM   #4828
Sindatur
Rear Admiral
 
Sindatur's Avatar
 
Location: Sacramento, CA
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Set Harth wrote: View Post
My Name Is Legion wrote:
and it disappointed Warner Bros.
Because it was required to make $540 million in order to be considered to have made a profit.
Yea, that $200M(?) they didn't even spend (from False starts), but had to make back really skews the Financial conclusions on the movie itself. It's a shame. I think a second Brandon Routh film actually coulda done really well (Of course assuming they toned down the "stalker" stuff in the Sequel)
__________________
One Day I hope to be the Man my Cat thinks I am

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2012, 10:27 AM   #4829
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral
 
Flying Spaghetti Monster's Avatar
 
Location: Flying Spaghetti Western
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
Compared the epic of Donner's first film, it's scope, it's use of poetry, wit, emotion and it's breakthroughs in music, special effects, not to mention how it defined to all of how superheroes can bring out the best in all of us, it makes Burton's film look like a rush job of an amateur.
And not surprisingly, you missed the point. I wasn't discussing your personal enthusiasm for Superman, simply pointing out the fact that your assertion "every superhero film since owes its very soul..." to the Superman films is specious.

Modern superhero films depend heavily upon the direction that Burton's Batman took, and not at all on Donner's Superman. The only superhero movie of note since X-Men that owes a debt to Superman in any substantial respect is Superman Returns, and it disappointed Warner Bros.

Is that clearer?

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
The second one, nearly as good, beat Peter Parker and Bruce Wayne and everyone else in the angst department while still giving us the most memorable superhero showdown in cinema history.
That's nonsense. Superman II is a patchwork job, badly written and clumsily edited together from usable footage shot by Donner and new stuff representing a complete change of tone and direction on the part of Richard Lester. It's an entertaining film, but not even a particularly good one. Angst? Nope - goofy, occasionally touching melodrama at best.
Wrong on both counts. Nolan might have been making a batman film when he made BB, but he had everyone in the production study Superman. He said that's the template. The movie breathes the same way, and the appearance of the finest actors of the representative times even in minor roles proves it it as well. Need more proof, notice the time stamps for the time when the hero, in costume, appears. Raimi, to a smaller extent, had the same idea, and he even paid direct homage to it when Parker pulled his shirt open to reveal his costume. The new spider man film did as well, taking its time for the origin story. Daredevil, iron man, all of them. batman was a fun film but it was a hack job. Move the camera slightly to the left in almost any shot and you'll see a gaffer.

Superman 2 has some issues of tone, I'll grant you that, but it was still forging ahead to new, uncharted ground. Dude it was the first superhero sequel ever. Need I remind you that it was intended to be a part of the first film? They had to split it up and in many ways that was a good decision, and Suoes is introduced in an early action scene and the villains are introduced as well. The film picks up the themes of its predecessor and uses them for a good story in a way that has only been matched by X2.

Burton's batman is a template for a hack job of style over substance. Superman used style to supplement the substance, beginning like a science fiction opus, then moving to an aesthetic that is not at all disimilar (no doubt influenced by) the work of Norman Rockwell, to a more modern urban adventure that had something you might have noticed: wit.

See for yourself. Google "template for superhero films" and see how many times Batman pops up in the lists, essays, whatever.
__________________
Can't we have pills and cook the corn?

Last edited by Flying Spaghetti Monster; November 29 2012 at 10:43 AM.
Flying Spaghetti Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2012, 12:40 PM   #4830
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral
 
Captaindemotion's Avatar
 
Location: Ireland
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
[ The only superhero movie of note since X-Men that owes a debt to Superman in any substantial respect is Superman Returns, and it disappointed Warner Bros.
Superman The Movie had a big influence on Batman Begins, which has been acknowledged by Chris Nolan and David Goyer. I personally also see a lot of it in Sam Raimi's first Spider-man movie.
__________________
Hodor!!!!!!!
Captaindemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
christopher nolan, man of steel, superman, zack snyder

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:19 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.