Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old November 27 2012, 09:17 PM   #1
Kooz
Lieutenant

View Kooz's Twitter Profile
How about a "trapped in the past/future" Trek?

There's always been lots of time travel in the Trek universe, how about one involving a ship trapped in the past? Maybe the far distant past, when the Q were still evolving? I'd love to see this--something where all the most powerful and advanced races were still in their infancy, just getting out among the stars.

Or, how about a Trek trapped in the future--the Federation has fallen, and the ship is weaker (to a significant, but not crippling, degree) than whatever race/federation/etc. is currently running things.
Old November 27 2012, 09:30 PM   #2
AviTrek
Fleet Captain

Re: How about a "trapped in the past/future" Trek?

Why does it need to be a ship from the "present" (however you define that) which travels to the past/future. Why not just set the show in the past/future and leave time travel out of it?
AviTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2012, 10:18 PM   #3
Kooz
Lieutenant

I guess it doesn't. It was a flash in my head--something I've given almost no thought to. Figured I'd throw it out there and see what the rest of the community thinks. Yeah, I could get on board with a show set in the Trek universe but with no Trek-modern stuff.
Old November 27 2012, 10:18 PM   #4
Kooz
Lieutenant

I guess I like the idea of fleshing out the canon w/r/t early history.
Old November 28 2012, 12:47 AM   #5
MacLeod
Admiral

Kooz wrote: View Post

Or, how about a Trek trapped in the future--the Federation has fallen, and the ship is weaker (to a significant, but not crippling, degree) than whatever race/federation/etc. is currently running things.
Sounds a shade like Andromeda to me.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2012, 04:10 AM   #6
Dukhat
Commodore

It was a flash in my head--something I've given almost no thought to.
Then why did you post it? I'd rather read an idea that someone put a lot of thought into rather than an idea that somebody just pulled out of their ass. If you don't really care about it, why should we?
Old November 28 2012, 01:15 PM   #7
starburst
Fleet Captain

The whole fish out of water thing works best when you can relate to the characters in some way, like Captain America being stuck in our time where we can relate in a way to where he came from, or John Crighton in Farscape as he sees things as the viewer does. Stargate did a good job at this sort of show as one week they could visit a primitive planet, the week after people hundreds of years more advance, the next a complete alien world and the one after a world on a similar level to us.

A jump into the future I agree would be too Andromeda like and depending on where to jump into the past it wouldnt make much difference other than to advance the time period (unless it was to our time which would scream Battlestar 1980).

I would rather see a show set in the new movie universe, TOS was always the more exciting show for me as the ones set after fealt too comfortable (apart from DS9) and it would be more interesting to actually explore strange new worlds in a universe that is familiar but not bound to the detail of 40 years of writing.
starburst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2012, 04:09 PM   #8
Kooz
Lieutenant

Dukhat wrote: View Post
It was a flash in my head--something I've given almost no thought to.
Then why did you post it? I'd rather read an idea that someone put a lot of thought into rather than an idea that somebody just pulled out of their ass. If you don't really care about it, why should we?
You are conflating two ideas. Just because something hits in a flash doesn't mean it isn't worthwhile; the same goes for something has been given a lot of thought.

I apologize for not knowing your personal preferences for posts to a bulletin board. Had I know you'd prefer to read posts that have been given a lot of thought, maybe I'd have given it more thought than I did--since, obviously, I was writing for your entertainment and not at all interested in hearing thoughts from the rest of the community on whether it's a good/bad idea, whether it's been done before, etc.

I'm so sorry to disappoint your rigid internet posting standards. I thought forums like this were for the exact purpose of putting forth these sorts of ideas, and reading through a lot of posts, I felt my suspicions were confirmed. (Including this gem, from you: "Well, I went to Trekcore to see screencaps of said ship, but it turned out that I was far more interested in the two chicks with the ill-fitting bikinis."; which is clearly a well-thought-out idea and certainly of interest to the community at large.)

But regardless, I'm thrilled you took the time to respond to let me know what you'll prefer next time!
Old November 28 2012, 04:19 PM   #9
Kooz
Lieutenant

starburst wrote: View Post
The whole fish out of water thing works best when you can relate to the characters in some way, like Captain America being stuck in our time where we can relate in a way to where he came from, or John Crighton in Farscape as he sees things as the viewer does. Stargate did a good job at this sort of show as one week they could visit a primitive planet, the week after people hundreds of years more advance, the next a complete alien world and the one after a world on a similar level to us.
I agree, which is why initially I figured it would be a "trapped in" concept as opposed to just an show set in the past (though I do think there's a place for that too). I never got too into Stargate, but yeah, the Farscape point is well-taken.

A jump into the future I agree would be too Andromeda like and depending on where to jump into the past it wouldnt make much difference other than to advance the time period (unless it was to our time which would scream Battlestar 1980).
I didn't see Andromeda (yet), so I didn't realize that was the concept. Scratch it. As for the past, I don't think young Earth is terribly original or interesting, but seeing a 23rd Century Starship thrust back to when the Q were in a similar time of their evolution would be cool. There are a lot of ancient races and events (especially in TOS) that the show could occasionally reference or actually delve into. Plus, there could be major differences between the technologies--sort of like how the wheel didn't factor into the building of ancient mesoamerica, and you end up with different technologies and cultures growing up there, the far east, and the middle east all at the same time.
The show could exploit just how alien these earlier cultures are and explore how similar the current Trek aliens are, despite their well-established differences.

I would rather see a show set in the new movie universe, TOS was always the more exciting show for me as the ones set after fealt too comfortable (apart from DS9) and it would be more interesting to actually explore strange new worlds in a universe that is familiar but not bound to the detail of 40 years of writing.
Yeah, I understand that. I think the series in my head would be bound to the canon, so if you aren't into that, then this may not be for you. And I agree with your criticisms too. There's probably no perfect series to pitch, but I think there's the kernel of a good idea here.
Old November 28 2012, 06:19 PM   #10
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

Personally I would say avoid the Q at all costs, VOY overused them like the Borg. Besides, according to Q the Q have always been, so it would make it kidna pointless.

As for a ship from the TNG/DS9/VOY period being flung forward in time, the PTB would have to have some serious balls to pull that off and do it right, rather than a weak show like VOY, where the ship was lost across the galaxy.

Also being trapped wouldn't be all that big a deal, slingshot around the nearest star and then they're home. Job done.
Old November 28 2012, 06:42 PM   #11
Angry Fanboy
Lieutenant Commander

Angry Fanboy

Bry_Sinclair wrote: View Post
Also being trapped wouldn't be all that big a deal, slingshot around the nearest star and then they're home.
There are always ways around that though - clearly temporal slingshots are not feasible for so many situations since they're simply not used outside of a few occasions shown on screen.

Granted Kirk seemed to have little difficulty completing them, but why wouldn't they be used by hostile forces to destroy an enemy before they had risen to power and so on?

If anyone is familiar with the Millennium trilogy by the Reeves-Stevenses, they included a suitably convincing technobabbley explanation why the Defiant couldn't simply slingshot back to the 'present' after being thrown a couple of decades into the future.
Angry Fanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2012, 06:47 PM   #12
E-DUB
Captain

Sounds like the Krenim. I've actually seen this idea before on the internets, ages ago so don't ask where. Kind of like following the crew of the Bozeman.
E-DUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2012, 08:40 PM   #13
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

MacLeod wrote: View Post

Sounds a shade like Andromeda to me.
Ya know, I'm really, really warming up to the idea of an "Andromeda" themed Series. Federation in shambles and rebuilding itself throughout the Series. I even like in the actual Andromeda Series where Dylan had built up a 50 world strong Commonwealth and turned it over to the Politicians, and they got flushed back to square one because of their corruption (Though, of course, if they chose to crash it down again, I would want the show to last long enough to rebuild it back again to stay)

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2012, 10:54 PM   #14
st.barthgirl
Lieutenant

i find the temporal paradoxes some of the most thought provoking ideas in all of Star Trek. i'd love to see this theme explored! i also thought that The Traveler would have been a fascinating character to develop: the Hows and Whys of what he is able and wont to do...

as far as Q is concerned... i've wondered if the TOS episode: Squire of Gothos wasn't a sort of inspiration for the idea? Trelane seems like a Nascent, Inchoate, Immature Q {not that Q was Mature, in act or practice}. at least a Q-ish Cousin, of sorts?

it could be argued that Trelane displays the same sort of Impudence that Q is famous for, and elicits a similar reaction from the Crew, as in these quotes (from memory alpha wiki):

"Do you know that you're one of the few predator species that preys even on itself?" - Trelane, to Kirk
"Wait! I won't have this! I haven't dismissed you yet! Stop it!! I won't have this!!"
- Trelane
"I object to you. I object to intellect without discipline. I object to power without constructive purpose."
- Spock, to Trelane "Why, Mr. Spock, you do have one saving grace after all—you're ill mannered!"
- Trelane, in response

I love the idea of exploring Timelines/alternate universes/permanency, etc... Great Thought!
st.barthgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2012, 11:42 PM   #15
Dream
Admiral

st.barthgirl wrote: View Post
as far as Q is concerned... i've wondered if the TOS episode: Squire of Gothos wasn't a sort of inspiration for the idea? Trelane seems like a Nascent, Inchoate, Immature Q {not that Q was Mature, in act or practice}. at least a Q-ish Cousin, of sorts?
They made Trelane a Q child in the novels.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote