February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Wheaton Buys Wesley Crusher Hoodie
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Closed Thread

Old November 28 2012, 06:36 PM   #166
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Synopsis Revealed!!

Trelane: No, not in Starfleet, not interested in terror.
Colonel Green: Possible, they'd have to play with the timeline a bit by our reckoning but it hardly matters in the new reality.
Khan: Wasn't a terrorist, wasn't a one man weapon of mass destruction, wasn't in Starfleet....nope, definitely not Khan.
Garth: Has the ability and power to destroy Starfleet from within, he may have gained some power after becoming a megalomaniac.
Gary Mitchell: In Starfleet. Wanted to create worlds in his own image. Gained god-like power. May have a vendetta against Starfleet/Kirk for trying to stop him. Mentioned by an insider as one of the names that might be in the movie.
Ben Finney: Sabotaged a starship for revenge. In Starfleet, no special powers.

My possibility ratings:

Trelane: 0%
Colonel Green or associates: 20%
Khan: 5%
Garth: 20%
Gary Mitchell:55%
Ben Finney:0%
Old November 28 2012, 07:19 PM   #167
The Wormhole
Admiral

Kruezerman wrote: View Post
1) people won't enjoy when films like Titanic, Life of Pi, The King's Speech, Lincoln, and many others do so well and are clearly made and
That's not much of an argument. The King's Speech and Lincoln were in limited release in theatres (showing on less screens than an average movie) so there's a lower bar for them to be considered a success, and The Life of Pi came in fifth place on opening weekend. Titanic is the only true success out of that lot. And that was James Cameron, people flock theatres to see his movies.

Although I make derisive comments about "dumb action flicks" if I'm honest I have to admit to enjoying them more than movies like 2001, which I found to be nothing more than a two hour screen saver.

We're not stupid. We're not troglodytes. We're not savages compared to the moviegoers of the past. We still make good shit.
Take a look at all the box office number ones from the last decade. They have usually been:

-Big ass action movies.
-Family-aimed cartoons.

That's where studios see the money, and in a world where studios are more considered with making a quick dollar than taking risks on anything new, that's what's going to continue to get the go ahead. Artsy movies will be sidelined as a niche thing unless you're James Cameron and can persuade billions to go to a theatre to look at a blank blue screen for three hours through name recognition alone.
Old November 28 2012, 07:21 PM   #168
RoJoHen
Awesome

teacake wrote: View Post
DETONATION.

Fleets. Worlds. Friendships. Love.

All will be detonated!
This should be on the poster.
Old November 28 2012, 07:29 PM   #169
SeerSGB
Admiral

Sounds generic, as others have said, hell it damn near reads like ST 2009.

I'm thinking that what we're going to get is some weird Khan/Gary Mitchel mash-up of a character. With augments being some form of barrier mutation that Starfleet was fucking around with.

billcosby wrote: View Post
A personal score to settle - wait we're getting another gods-damned revenge story? I've honestly lost count of how many revenge Trek films in a row there have been...

No strange new worlds or new life and new civilization?
Comic Book Guy: "Worst. Synopsis. Ever."
~whistles nonchalantly ~ This is why I tell people that TMP is the most TOS of the Star Trek movies.
Old November 28 2012, 07:55 PM   #170
MisterPL
Commander

Minuet wrote: View Post
Drago-Kazov wrote: View Post
He wants a remake. If ever was one it would go straight to DVD.
Of course. There's no market for it.

I'm perfectly content with the Director's Cut. It's not going to get any better than it already is, logistically speaking. It's a film that is a product of the times, and even if it's not perfect, it holds a special place in the hearts of many trekkies that saw it as their first Trek film ever. It's got some fine performances, has some wonderful character scenes between Kirk, Spock, and McCoy, and it would just be strange to see a remake. Perfect or not, it deserves to be left alone.
What if we add a prologue? Take that five-minute overture and show the origins of V'Ger. That'd be a great way to spoil the revelation at the end of the flick, right? Never mind. I'm off my meds.

And for what it's worth, I agree that Trek works better on TV. That's the medium for it, not film. Paramount got greedy thanks to the success of Star Wars and I often imagine what the franchise would be like if the films had been television episodes instead.
Old November 28 2012, 08:13 PM   #171
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain

We need 20 more minutes of the Enterprise slowly moving in space.
Old November 28 2012, 08:14 PM   #172
RAMA
Vice Admiral

I saw someone mention that the 9 minute excerpt from ST:ID would basically summarize the Mitchell story in the comic book, from WNMHGB and the story would extend from there, with his "un-dead" body still floating in space in the opening.
Old November 28 2012, 08:15 PM   #173
Trekker82
Lieutenant

It sounds like JJ is going to ruin Star Trek even more. Let's just blow everything up. What happened to exploration, diplomacy, etc?

Just keep Trek off of the big screen and keep it on TV, where it belongs.
Old November 28 2012, 08:20 PM   #174
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Trekker82 wrote: View Post
It sounds like JJ is going to ruin Star Trek even more. Let's just blow everything up. What happened to exploration, diplomacy, etc?

\
Um yeah, there were no explosions, bad guys, etc in the first 10 movies...

If I recall there was an attempt at diplomacy several times by Starfleet in the first JJ movie, and Starfleet was a fleet of exploration. It also happened to be an origin movie, but we still got to see more interesting planets, creatures, sights than in any of the other movies combined.

RAMA
Old November 28 2012, 08:23 PM   #175
bullethead
Fleet Captain

It's hard to ruin something that was already ruined by a tapped out creative staff. But exploration and diplomacy aren't really the best stories for movies unless you have got the right scenario that can provide the kind of action and drama needed to drive and sustain the major motion picture, especially in this market.
Old November 28 2012, 08:28 PM   #176
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain

This will dal with some shady Section 31 like stuff. there will be more drama.
Old November 28 2012, 08:31 PM   #177
Trekker82
Lieutenant

I did single out JJ, mostly because IMO the movie was about explosions, inaccurate technicalities, disregard for lore (yes, I know it's an alternate reality), etc. The other movies were not that good compared to the TV series as well. I know my view isn't a popular one, but I prefer a more intelligent take vs a young, cocky and horny crew with more action and very little intelligence. I felt that the movie had a thin veil of Star Trek over a generic space action movie.
Old November 28 2012, 08:44 PM   #178
Galileo7
Fleet Captain

The villain is probably Mitchell, Khan or an original character. However, I think it has to be Gary Mitchell.
Old November 28 2012, 08:45 PM   #179
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain

They had to do that kind of story because they needed as many people as possible to like the movie.
Old November 28 2012, 08:48 PM   #180
Kruezerman
Fleet Captain

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Take a look at all the box office number ones from the last decade. They have usually been:

-Big ass action movies.
-Family-aimed cartoons.

That's where studios see the money, and in a world where studios are more considered with making a quick dollar than taking risks on anything new, that's what's going to continue to get the go ahead. Artsy movies will be sidelined as a niche thing unless you're James Cameron and can persuade billions to go to a theatre to look at a blank blue screen for three hours through name recognition alone.
That's a very cynical view. But what I'm saying is that the audience is there for "artsy" movies, especially sci-fi which are very visual. Besides, how difficult was TMP to follow? Wasn't very complicated.