Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old November 28 2012, 07:17 PM   #961
MickJo1701
Commander

Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

BillJ wrote: View Post
FrontierTrek wrote: View Post
All I know, is that its going to be great that one half of Best of Both Worlds looks awesome, while the other half looks like ass.
Ridiculous. These comments really piss me off when you haven't even seen Season 2, never mind the fact that you have no idea what CBS may have planned for BOBW. Try writing a critique when you've SEEN what you're supposed to be criticizing.
Don't be posting screencaps if you don't want people criticizing the work. It's pretty simple. It is a definite step down from season one.

And if the pattern holds, Best of Both Worlds II won't be done by CBS-Digitial.
People shouldn't jump the gun just yet, who is reworking Season 4 is up to TPTB not us. If CBS does listen to the feedback from the fanbase/consumers then the they will know what we would like to see from the seasons to come. I for one appreciate all the coverage, previews, trailers and caps from the episodes that are posted on TrekCore.
MickJo1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2012, 07:58 PM   #962
davejames
Vice Admiral

jimbotron wrote: View Post
This reminds me of the Star Wars special edition. "Only" about 1% of the movies have been affected, so what's the big deal? Well, plenty.

I liken the Star Wars trilogy changes and now season 2 of TNG to a beautiful new sports car that's been gauged along the sides by a key. Yes, the engine still roars, the seats are just as comfortable, the suspension still feels great, but the joy is gone because it feels ruined. Even if I do my best to look away from it, I still know it's there. IMO, anyway.

Some say the season 2 effects work is no big deal. Some say the Star Wars special editions are no big deal. I disagree.
Yeah the SEs were pretty bad, but that was a case of new CG effects being inserted into a movie from the 1970s. The difference in style was jarring as hell.

Here we're just talking about model shots that maybe aren't composited as perfectly as they could have been, and may not look movie-quality, but are still pretty damn good for a scifi TV show.

And most important, they still look consistent with the series they came from.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2012, 08:11 PM   #963
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

MickJo1701 wrote: View Post
FrontierTrek wrote: View Post

Ridiculous. These comments really piss me off when you haven't even seen Season 2, never mind the fact that you have no idea what CBS may have planned for BOBW. Try writing a critique when you've SEEN what you're supposed to be criticizing.
Don't be posting screencaps if you don't want people criticizing the work. It's pretty simple. It is a definite step down from season one.

And if the pattern holds, Best of Both Worlds II won't be done by CBS-Digitial.
People shouldn't jump the gun just yet, who is reworking Season 4 is up to TPTB not us. If CBS does listen to the feedback from the fanbase/consumers then the they will know what we would like to see from the seasons to come. I for one appreciate all the coverage, previews, trailers and caps from the episodes that are posted on TrekCore.
I guess my gripe with FrontierTrek is this: he's posting screencaps from season two effects shots that suffer in quality compared to season one. But then says not to criticize the work because we haven't seen it yet. Then what is the point of posting the screencaps if they're not indicative of the quality we will be seeing?

I'm still peeved that a ton of websites, including his, missed the glaring audio issues from season one. It means their reviewer is either a shill for CBS or incompetent. Judging by how he's reacting to the criticism of season two, I'm starting to lean towards shill. YMMV.
Old November 28 2012, 08:11 PM   #964
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

[QUOTE=davejames;7316911]
jimbotron wrote: View Post
And most important, they still look consistent with the series they came from.
Consistent with the SD broadcasts, mostly, but not always. Consistent with other season 2 episodes, largely yes. Consistent with season 1, not at all.

The compositing and lighting of the models reminds me of Star Trek V's effects. Just as in 1989, the main effects group was unavailable, work went to an inexperienced team that meant well but with a compressed schedule, and the results speak for themselves.
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2012, 08:12 PM   #965
TroiFan4ever
Lieutenant Commander

I saw teh commercial for this on YouTube... including a clip of the cast reunion. Wow, they aged gracefully, if I don't say so myself. Patrick Stewart in 2012 looks just as he did in the 90's!
Old November 28 2012, 08:22 PM   #966
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

BillJ, I think you are being unfair to FrontierTrek. In his review of Season 2 he openly admits that he too is disappointed with what we are seeing.

For Season 2, HTV have taken a different approach to visual effects. In all honesty, I found the second season to be a somewhat mixed bag of hits and misses with these shots. Some work is truly stunning – the new digital matte painting for the Borg Cube interior is a work of art: we are treated to steam rising from vents and Borg drones walking around the cube as the camera pans out. It’s clear an awful lot of time and effort went into that. On the flip side, a lot of work just doesn’t meet the (admittedly high) standards set by CBS Digital in Season 1. Whilst I respect the team’s intention to remain ardently true to the original show, as I made my way through the season I started to question why some planets have been created with blurry textures (almost appearing like they’ve been upscaled from standard definition) which jar so much with the beautiful HD renders worked on by Max Gabl and CBS-Digital for Season 1.
Text bolded by me for emphasis.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2012, 08:28 PM   #967
BillJ
Admiral

TheSeeker wrote: View Post
BillJ, I think you are being unfair to FrontierTrek. In his review of Season 2 he openly admits that he too is disappointed with what we are seeing.

For Season 2, HTV have taken a different approach to visual effects. In all honesty, I found the second season to be a somewhat mixed bag of hits and misses with these shots. Some work is truly stunning – the new digital matte painting for the Borg Cube interior is a work of art: we are treated to steam rising from vents and Borg drones walking around the cube as the camera pans out. It’s clear an awful lot of time and effort went into that. On the flip side, a lot of work just doesn’t meet the (admittedly high) standards set by CBS Digital in Season 1. Whilst I respect the team’s intention to remain ardently true to the original show, as I made my way through the season I started to question why some planets have been created with blurry textures (almost appearing like they’ve been upscaled from standard definition) which jar so much with the beautiful HD renders worked on by Max Gabl and CBS-Digital for Season 1.
Text bolded by me for emphasis.
Then why be so defensive here when people criticize the screencaps? I don't frequent TrekCore.com anymore so I hadn't seen his season two review.
Old November 28 2012, 08:31 PM   #968
RAMA
Vice Admiral

So far the first video Maxwell reviewed was good quality. The stills aren't as good an indicator of what we'll see as the actual video...but so far the quick footage I have seen (and on a movie screen) from season 2 looks very comparable to season 1, though not perfect. Seems like much ado about nothing to me really. Why does it seem ST fans are so neurotic?
Old November 28 2012, 08:37 PM   #969
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

I can't speak to his defensiveness but there certainly is a lot of over-the-top criticisms of something most of us haven't viewed yet.

Am I disappointed with the screenshots of the VFX we've seen thus far? Yes. Do they "look like ass". I don't think so.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2012, 08:43 PM   #970
BillJ
Admiral

I can't speak to his defensiveness but there certainly is a lot of over-the-top criticisms of something most of us haven't viewed yet.

Am I disappointed with the screenshots of the VFX we've seen thus far? Yes. Do they "look like ass". I don't think so.
What I've seen, mostly, looks like ass compared to the work CBS Digital did. Saying they look better than the season two DVD's is a no-brainer. They could've simply up scaled the DVD's and it would've looked 'better'.

CBS-Digital set the bar for how the effects should look and HTV-Illuminate looks to be falling far short of that benchmark.
Old November 28 2012, 08:49 PM   #971
22 Stars
Commodore

RAMA wrote: View Post
So far the first video Maxwell reviewed was good quality. The stills aren't as good an indicator of what we'll see as the actual video...but so far the quick footage I have seen (and on a movie screen) from season 2 looks very comparable to season 1, though not perfect. Seems like much ado about nothing to me really. Why does it seem ST fans are so neurotic?
It is called Asperger syndrome, and affects many Trek and general 'nerdist' types to some extent. See also Big Bang Theory; Sheldon. It is not something to be taken lightly, which they do on that show from what I understand.
22 Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2012, 08:53 PM   #972
MickJo1701
Commander

Some attribute the differences to an inferior effects house or it being done on a reduced budget, correct me if I'm wrong but AFAIK the only thing we know that's concrete is there was a different approach taken with the material for Season 2 to 'recreate the original experience'.
MickJo1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2012, 09:18 PM   #973
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.

22 Stars wrote: View Post
RAMA wrote: View Post
It is called Asperger syndrome, and affects many Trek and general 'nerdist' types to some extent. See also Big Bang Theory; Sheldon. It is not something to be taken lightly, which they do on that show from what I understand.
That's the most ridiculous post I've seen on this board in a long time. So, because some of us are justifiably disappointed by the clear and obvious drop in FX quality produced on S2 - it means we're suffering from Aspergers Syndrome, to which you hold up a fictitious TV character to support your assertion.
Old November 28 2012, 09:31 PM   #974
BillJ
Admiral

Apologies to FrontierTrek for the "shill" remark. Just caught me in a foul mood earlier.

But I didn't see anyone getting defensive when people were drooling over the season one screencaps nor was anyone telling people they needed to wait for the set to actually come out before commenting positively on the work done by CBS-Digital.
Old November 28 2012, 09:38 PM   #975
FrontierTrek
Fleet Captain

View FrontierTrek's Twitter Profile

Then why be so defensive here when people criticize the screencaps? I don't frequent TrekCore.com anymore so I hadn't seen his season two review.
I am NOT defensive when people criticize screencaps. I am defensive when people extend that criticism to the WHOLE season and episodes in Season 4... that's unreasonable and reactionary.

You are UNFAIRLY criticizing it. As others have pointed out, i'm more than fair in my comments and have given a totally balanced review in every sense of the word. Indeed, Maxwell Everett who ALSO has the set backs up my point. Is he a shill for CBS also?

Such ridiculous statements. I refuse to be drawn anymore.

Edit - OK, I see your apologies. I think I'll be leaving this thread, it's just turned silly in the past week or so. The lack of objectivity from some people is astounding.