Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old November 28 2012, 06:33 AM   #946
Maxwell Everett
Fleet Captain

Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
Maxwell Everett wrote: View Post
I just have to say... just got the set... just literally put disc one in and the Season Three trailer is frickin' out of this world awesome!

Season Three looks feature film good... the newer EXR fine-grain film stock from Kodak that they began using here (and Marvin Rush taking over as DP) really makes the shots pop and stand out in color, density and contrast in ways Seasons 1 & 2 just didn't.

And the VFX are wonderful... really outstanding. Love that opening shot from "Evolution" with the Enterprise falling toward the neutron star and red giant. If you thought the VFX in Season One looked good... this is even better. That is all.
2 questions:

1) How did you get the set already (A week early)

2) Did they give a timeframe as to when season 3 is coming out, or is it "Coming soon".
For #1 see my previous post... as for #2, it just said "coming soon." But I'd say we can expect it in early spring based on their intention of releasing three sets next year. Figure a set every 19 or so weeks, starting next week.
Old November 28 2012, 08:08 AM   #947
Maxwell Everett
Fleet Captain

So, "The Child" looked great.* The live-action looked just as good as anything in Season One. The darker, moodier lighting really translates well in HD. Even the VFX looked just fine -- no problems in this episode. The starbase looked fine in motion and it's not upscaled from SD. Audio sounded good and there were no channel mapping problems.

And it looks like Best Buy's price will be $64.99 on Dec. 4th. Go here and click the 2nd spoiler image under "Movies/Music":

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=209814

*Though now with the slightly wider frame (1.35:1) you can really see Patrick Stewart's arm and shoulder coming back into the shot when he supposedly walks away from Wesley in the corridor on his way to Ten Forward for the first time. It was that way on the DVD, but they probably expected overscan to take care of it on old TV sets. Not sure why they didn't erase it for Blu-ray -- would've been a cinch. Oh well.
Old November 28 2012, 09:29 AM   #948
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

Bad Atom wrote: View Post
trekker670 wrote: View Post
^ I'd hate to see what that shot would look like if HTV got their hands on it...
Something like this...?
It's funny because it's true...
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2012, 09:55 AM   #949
Tosk
Rear Admiral

Blu-ray.com review...

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Star-T.../44210/#Review

Some nice new screens too. The 'Enterprise going down the plughole' looks pretty good [EDIT: Stupid me, already saw that one in the TrekCore review. ], and all the live action stuff looks excellent.

Last edited by Tosk; November 28 2012 at 11:10 AM.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2012, 01:50 PM   #950
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

All I know, is that its going to be great that one half of Best of Both Worlds looks awesome, while the other half looks like ass.
Old November 28 2012, 02:03 PM   #951
MickJo1701
Commander

Before the problem with the VFX in Season 2 came about I was a little wary of the reaction from us towards Season 3 as it introduced us to the 'infamous' 4 foot Enterprise model. But its good to see people are more concerned with and focused on the positives of having another season of high quality work from CBS D rather than unleashing hate towards the Enterprise. (I'm in the miniscule minority of people who like the 4 foot model)
MickJo1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2012, 02:27 PM   #952
FrontierTrek
Fleet Captain

View FrontierTrek's Twitter Profile

BillJ wrote: View Post
All I know, is that its going to be great that one half of Best of Both Worlds looks awesome, while the other half looks like ass.
Ridiculous. These comments really piss me off when you haven't even seen Season 2, never mind the fact that you have no idea what CBS may have planned for BOBW. Try writing a critique when you've SEEN what you're supposed to be criticizing.
Old November 28 2012, 03:25 PM   #953
NewHorizon
Captain

FrontierTrek wrote: View Post
Ridiculous. These comments really piss me off when you haven't even seen Season 2, never mind the fact that you have no idea what CBS may have planned for BOBW. Try writing a critique when you've SEEN what you're supposed to be criticizing.
People are upset. They're fearful of having another Season 2 quality drop if HTV sticks around for another Season or two and so am I.

I've seen enough to know in my heart that I don't want to buy Season 2. No amount of seeing it in motion or putting it on a big screen is going to fix that.

Season 1 looks outstanding on both my 42 inch LED TV and on my projector, blown up to 60 + inches.

It seems like CBS was scared they would lose sales if they didn't push the project through faster. Well, they're losing a sale right now because they did rush it and push through a lesser quality product. I'm not saying it's ass, but if it's not going to be consistent in quality with Season 1, I don't want it.
NewHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2012, 03:47 PM   #954
Mott the barber
Commodore

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
I just have to say... just got the set... just literally put disc one in and the Season Three trailer is frickin' out of this world awesome!

Season Three looks feature film good... the newer EXR fine-grain film stock from Kodak that they began using here (and Marvin Rush taking over as DP) really makes the shots pop and stand out in color, density and contrast in ways Seasons 1 & 2 just didn't.

And the VFX are wonderful... really outstanding. Love that opening shot from "Evolution" with the Enterprise falling toward the neutron star and red giant. If you thought the VFX in Season One looked good... this is even better. That is all.
2 questions:

1) How did you get the set already (A week early)

2) Did they give a timeframe as to when season 3 is coming out, or is it "Coming soon".
For #1 see my previous post... as for #2, it just said "coming soon." But I'd say we can expect it in early spring based on their intention of releasing three sets next year. Figure a set every 19 or so weeks, starting next week.

I can almost picture the ending of the S3 trailer involving the last scene of BOBW pt.1 and some dramatic fades and flashes of Locutus on the viewscreen.
Old November 28 2012, 03:52 PM   #955
Brikar99
Rear Admiral

NewHorizon wrote: View Post

Season 1 looks outstanding on both my 42 inch LED TV and on my projector, blown up to 60 + inches.
Just as an aside, how do you like having a projector? I've been thinking of going that route myself.
Old November 28 2012, 04:58 PM   #956
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

So, "The Child" looked great.* The live-action looked just as good as anything in Season One. The darker, moodier lighting really translates well in HD. Even the VFX looked just fine -- no problems in this episode. The starbase looked fine in motion and it's not upscaled from SD. Audio sounded good and there were no channel mapping problems.

And it looks like Best Buy's price will be $64.99 on Dec. 4th. Go here and click the 2nd spoiler image under "Movies/Music":

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=209814

*Though now with the slightly wider frame (1.35:1) you can really see Patrick Stewart's arm and shoulder coming back into the shot when he supposedly walks away from Wesley in the corridor on his way to Ten Forward for the first time. It was that way on the DVD, but they probably expected overscan to take care of it on old TV sets. Not sure why they didn't erase it for Blu-ray -- would've been a cinch. Oh well.
My pre-order from BestBuy still lists it at $79.99. Does anyone know how good they are at adjusting the price of pre-orders when the price is lowered?
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2012, 05:51 PM   #957
davejames
Vice Admiral

Yeah, as I expected the effects problems have probably been completely overblown on here. Maybe they aren't as perfect and polished as before, but within the context of the episode they probably work perfectly well.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2012, 05:55 PM   #958
FrontierTrek
Fleet Captain

View FrontierTrek's Twitter Profile

davejames wrote: View Post
Yeah, as I expected the effects problems have probably been completely overblown on here. Maybe they aren't as perfect and polished as before, but within the context of the episode they probably work perfectly well.
Totally right. As I stated in the review - they may not be as polished as Season 1, but the episodes still look beautiful. I'm absolutely loving Season 2
Old November 28 2012, 06:10 PM   #959
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

FrontierTrek wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
Don't be posting screencaps if you don't want people criticizing the work. It's pretty simple. It is a definite step down from season one.

And if the pattern holds, Best of Both Worlds II won't be done by CBS-Digitial.
Old November 28 2012, 07:03 PM   #960
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

This reminds me of the Star Wars special edition. "Only" about 1% of the movies have been affected, so what's the big deal? Well, plenty.

I liken the Star Wars trilogy changes and now season 2 of TNG to a beautiful new sports car that's been gauged along the sides by a key. Yes, the engine still roars, the seats are just as comfortable, the suspension still feels great, but the joy is gone because it feels ruined. Even if I do my best to look away from it, I still know it's there. IMO, anyway.

Some say the season 2 effects work is no big deal. Some say the Star Wars special editions are no big deal. I disagree.
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote