TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old November 28 2012, 01:09 AM   #931
Dac
Commodore

View Dac's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dac
Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

FrontierTrek wrote: View Post
Dac wrote: View Post
Startrek.com has an article about the second season release here: http://www.startrek.com/article/tng-...son-two-part-1

It doesn't acknowledge any of the issues we've been focusing on here, but JESUS FUCKING CHRIST! Is that pre-viz/test shot of Nagellum?! It looks fucking terrifying!

EDIT: Um, I really hope this is an unfinished shot.

http://www.startrek.com/uploads/asse.../BorgSlice.jpg

Ignoring the fact that it's missing the cutting/tractor beam (twice, the green from the main tractor and the yellow from the slice tractor), it also shows where the specially built close up model doesn't quite fill the screen as we can see it's just a floating piece of the saucer in nothing. Also, it's stupidly bright. AND it shows the cut off decals! It just says "prise" and "701-D".

It has to be a pre-viz/WIP right? But why is the smoke there? Oh god, please please please don't be a finished article. That's the money shot for the entire season ffs. It's got to just be a shot from the documentary showing off pre-vis. It's got to be. No one can be that incompetent.
Is this a joke? The article is about the special features. Roger has nothing to do with HTV or CBS Digital. He is part of the team who make special features for the sets. The shots are FROM the special features.
It was (99.9%) a joke. Yes. But to be fair, there is no reference to the images anywhere in the text, they are not captioned and their file names leave no indication for where they are from. And only one question out of the five directly reference the VAM in a traditional sense, a second discusses the extended measure of a man.

It's obvious Nagilum is a test, but I never realised the smoke from the "Q, Who?" shot was in-camera. That threw me. It looks composited.

Calm down FrontierTrek, no need to get your panties in a twist. There's plenty of actual screw ups to moan about
Dac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2012, 03:17 AM   #932
Salinga
Captain

I know, it hurts. But just a quick reminder, how ossom the compositing of Season 1 was:

THIS is the benchmark.

It's horrible to think, we lost the complete Season 2 and wont get any of these beauty shots from it.
Salinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2012, 04:11 AM   #933
trekker670
Fleet Captain

^ I'd hate to see what that shot would look like if HTV got their hands on it...
trekker670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2012, 04:21 AM   #934
Tom Servo
Commodore

I don't know if anyone has posted this yet, but here is a great in depth look at the rebuild and composting process they are using for these Blu Rays.

http://www.fxguide.com/fxguidetv/fxg...star-trek-tng/

Very interesting stuff.

Member of Red Sox Nation
Tom Servo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2012, 04:49 AM   #935
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Tom Servo wrote: View Post
I don't know if anyone has posted this yet, but here is a great in depth look at the rebuild and composting process they are using for these Blu Rays.

http://www.fxguide.com/fxguidetv/fxg...star-trek-tng/

Very interesting stuff.

Nope totally new
Old November 28 2012, 04:58 AM   #936
Tosk
Rear Admiral

Thanks for posting that, Tom. It's a little dry technically (understandably so) but a great look at some more of the challenges they faced with this project.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2012, 05:17 AM   #937
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Tosk wrote: View Post
Thanks for posting that, Tom. It's a little dry technically (understandably so) but a great look at some more of the challenges they faced with this project.
Personally I prefer this kind of informational presentation, and enjoyed it better than the remastering doc from the bluray.

It's amazing after reading about the state-of-the-art fx back in the 90s how they talk about the technology from that time as if it were the dark ages. They've come a long way.

RAMA
Old November 28 2012, 05:18 AM   #938
Bad Atom
Commodore

View Bad Atom's Twitter Profile

trekker670 wrote: View Post
^ I'd hate to see what that shot would look like if HTV got their hands on it...
Something like this...?
Bad Atom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2012, 05:37 AM   #939
Maxwell Everett
Commodore

You likely will because HTV is slated to work on Season Four (unless something changes)... and "Remember Me" re-uses these shots. And because CBS Digital is giving them all the assets in raw, separate layers, they can re-envision the shots to their heart's content.

But if I were CBS I wouldn't let them near these shots... they should let editorial just drop in the shots as they are now.
Old November 28 2012, 05:49 AM   #940
trekker670
Fleet Captain

RAMA wrote: View Post
Tosk wrote: View Post
Personally I prefer this kind of informational presentation, and enjoyed it better than the remastering doc from the bluray.

It's amazing after reading about the state-of-the-art fx back in the 90s how they talk about the technology from that time as if it were the dark ages. They've come a long way.

RAMA
I completely agree. This is great! Thanks for the link.

It's interesting that they note that CBS-D is working on "3 seasons of Star Trek: The Next Generation."

There are some nice clips from season 3, but they mention a few times that CBS-D is only working on 3 seasons.

Last edited by trekker670; November 28 2012 at 06:04 AM.
Old November 28 2012, 05:58 AM   #941
Maxwell Everett
Commodore

I just have to say... just got the set... just literally put disc one in and the Season Three trailer is frickin' out of this world awesome!

Season Three looks feature film good... the newer EXR fine-grain film stock from Kodak that they began using here (and Marvin Rush taking over as DP) really makes the shots pop and stand out in color, density and contrast in ways Seasons 1 & 2 just didn't.

And the VFX are wonderful... really outstanding. Love that opening shot from "Evolution" with the Enterprise falling toward the neutron star and red giant. If you thought the VFX in Season One looked good... this is even better. That is all.
Old November 28 2012, 06:05 AM   #942
trekker670
Fleet Captain

Maxwell Everett wrote: View Post
I just have to say... just got the set... just literally put disc one in and the Season Three trailer is frickin' out of this world awesome!

Season Three looks feature film good... the newer EXR fine-grain film stock from Kodak that they began using here (and Marvin Rush taking over as DP) really makes the shots pop and stand out in color, density and contrast in ways Seasons 1 & 2 just didn't.

And the VFX are wonderful... really outstanding. Love that opening shot from "Evolution" with the Enterprise falling toward the neutron star and red giant. If you thought the VFX in Season One looked good... this is even better. That is all.
AWESOME!

How do you keep getting these sets a week early?! Lucky!

Any chance you'll be able to upload it like you did last time?
Old November 28 2012, 06:10 AM   #943
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

Great to hear, Maxwell. I can't wait to see the trailer on the big screen Thursday.

Though my excitement over this series has dwindled considerably when faced with the prospect that 40% of the show could look substandard (the effects, at least). I hope CBS, CBS-D, the Okudas, someone - has a response to the fan backlash.

For one thing, I fear how Best of Both Worlds Part 2 will look. I was looking forward to seeing the wreckages at Wolf 359, and the Borg ship explode. But now, I cringe at the possibilities.
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2012, 06:21 AM   #944
FelizNavidad
Admiral

View FelizNavidad's Twitter Profile

2 questions:

1) How did you get the set already (A week early)

2) Did they give a timeframe as to when season 3 is coming out, or is it "Coming soon".

sjsharksfan39
FelizNavidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2012, 06:24 AM   #945
Maxwell Everett
Commodore

AWESOME!

How do you keep getting these sets a week early?! Lucky!

Any chance you'll be able to upload it like you did last time?
Unfortunately now that I'm going to be doing a few things for TrekCore, I don't want to get them in trouble by association. I'm going to have to defer to whatever timetable they've been told by CBS to stick to for promotional material to be released.

All I can say is, despite my misgivings about certain shots we've been seeing, I had no trouble forking over the dough to get this sucker tonight -- completely legitimately I hasten to add! Plus I had a $50 gift card, so the $80 price tag was no big deal. If you want it, just take a trip to a few of your favorite retailers starting this week. You may be surprised to find it on the shelf. It's just a catalog title, after all.

I went to two places tonight and luckily found it at the second one. I'll be going back to price match it once the ads come out with the almost certain to be lower price.