RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,229
Posts: 5,347,524
Members: 24,607
Currently online: 677
Newest member: lueth2048

TrekToday headlines

Insight Editions Announces Three Trek Books For 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

IDW Publishing Comic Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old November 27 2012, 07:49 PM   #91
sojourner
Vice Admiral
 
sojourner's Avatar
 
Location: I'm at WKRP
Re: Is WB simply afraid of Wonder Woman?

Gaith wrote: View Post
And when I dream, I prefer to be Indy than Lara; Bond than Bristow.
To paraphrase the great Lou Reed, "try taking a walk on the wildside".
__________________
Baby, you and me were never meant to be, just maybe think of me once in a while...
sojourner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2012, 08:25 PM   #92
Dream
Admiral
 
Dream's Avatar
 
Re: Is WB simply afraid of Wonder Woman?

AvBaur wrote: View Post
Do you guys seriously think Catwoman would have still flopped had it been as good as The Dark Knight, with the same kind of marketing push?
Batman is Batman. No superhero can compare to him in terms of popularity with the audience except for maybe Spider-man, but the crappy Spider-man 3 and mediocre reboot have harmed that brand.

The best I can see a Wonder Woman movie doing is around Thor or Captain America levels if it is good, but it could also easily fail as badly as the recent Green Lantern movie.
__________________
=)
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2012, 09:00 PM   #93
AvBaur
Captain
 
AvBaur's Avatar
 
Location: Munich, Germany
View AvBaur's Twitter Profile
Re: Is WB simply afraid of Wonder Woman?

Dream wrote: View Post
AvBaur wrote: View Post
Do you guys seriously think Catwoman would have still flopped had it been as good as The Dark Knight, with the same kind of marketing push?
Batman is Batman. No superhero can compare to him in terms of popularity with the audience except for maybe Spider-man, but the crappy Spider-man 3 and mediocre reboot have harmed that brand.
Replace "The Dark Knight" with "Iron Man", then. Iron Man had arguably even less brand recognition than Wonder Woman (or Catwoman), but it wouldn't change my argument at all.

Dream wrote: View Post
The best I can see a Wonder Woman movie doing is around Thor or Captain America levels if it is good, but it could also easily fail as badly as the recent Green Lantern movie.
I think WB would be perfectly happy if a WW movie did Thor/Captain America-size business. And the risk of failure exists for every movie, especially if the movie in question is/looks as bad as GL.
__________________
HIPSTERS IN HELL - my webcomic: http://www.hipsters-comic.com
AvBaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2012, 09:01 PM   #94
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral
 
Professor Zoom's Avatar
 
Location: Idealistic
Re: Is WB simply afraid of Wonder Woman?

AvBaur wrote: View Post
What I'm saying, though, is that there's usually a good reason why awful movies make lots of money, and it's usually one (or both) of the two I've named. None of the many failed female-led action movies had either of those things going for them.
Basically, your argument comes down to name recognition and being a part of a franchise. Which, arguably, Laura Croft was a part of. And it's not a BAD movie, like Catwoman. It's an ok movie. Like Thor. Or Iron Man 2.



Do you guys seriously think Catwoman would have still flopped had it been as good as The Dark Knight, with the same kind of marketing push?
Nothing was going to save it from those pants.
__________________
Batman does not eat nachos.
Professor Zoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2012, 09:57 PM   #95
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral
 
Guy Gardener's Avatar
 
Location: In the lap of squalor I assure you.
Re: Is WB simply afraid of Wonder Woman?

Somehow I saw the episode of Oprah with Halle before catwoman came out and they're both standing in front of a slightly larger than life poster of halle in full costume talking about how good she looks as Catwomen.

But seriously, Catwoman's nemesis was a 50 year old exmodel who was selling lethal make up, because she thought she would make a lot of money, even though all her customers were going to die and their families were going to sue her? That's not a job for Catwoman, that's a job for Errin Brockivich.

I still can't believe they wasted one of the greatest actresses of our times.

Alex Borstien.

"We don't care if you're funny as hell and all round magnificent, because we need an insecure fat girl who will just about kill her self to look a little thinner and younger, can you do that? I assume you can do that because you're fat and all fat people hate themselves."
__________________
"Glitter is the herpes of arts and craft."

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2012, 10:42 PM   #96
AvBaur
Captain
 
AvBaur's Avatar
 
Location: Munich, Germany
View AvBaur's Twitter Profile
Re: Is WB simply afraid of Wonder Woman?

Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
AvBaur wrote: View Post
What I'm saying, though, is that there's usually a good reason why awful movies make lots of money, and it's usually one (or both) of the two I've named. None of the many failed female-led action movies had either of those things going for them.
Basically, your argument comes down to name recognition and being a part of a franchise. Which, arguably, Laura Croft was a part of. And it's not a BAD movie, like Catwoman. It's an ok movie. Like Thor. Or Iron Man 2.
Tomb Raider 2 (which was really the one that failed - the 1st one did ok) wasn't quite as bad as Catwoman, but almost. And sequels only make big bucks if people really liked the previous movie. An imdb score of 5.5 for Tomb Raider 1 seems to point against that. (Iron Man 2: 7.1 / Thor: 7.0)


Here's my point: there just isn't any conclusive evidence that any of the big female-led flops failed because they starred women. All of them were lackluster movies, and you could tell that they weren't going to be any good from the trailers.

On the other hand, there are now a number of examples for popular genre movies starring women that did make a lot of money by actually appealing to female audiences, such as The Hunger Games, and the Twilight saga. There were even some that made a decent amount of money despite not being all that good/popular, like Snow White & the Huntsman, or Salt.

So when Hollywood executives and people here say that female-led movies don't sell, that's based on a double standard. As I said before, nobody would claim that the gender of the protagonist had anything to do with the failures of, say, Green Lantern, Battleship, or John Carter.

It may be true that there aren't a lot of successful examples of female-led action films, but there also aren't any examples (that I can think of) of such movies failing despite the high quality of the movies themselves and/or their marketing campaigns.
__________________
HIPSTERS IN HELL - my webcomic: http://www.hipsters-comic.com
AvBaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2012, 10:54 PM   #97
DarKush
Rear Admiral
 
Re: Is WB simply afraid of Wonder Woman?

To the OP's question, I do think there is some fear on the part of WB executives to put forward a Wonder Woman movie. I think a lot of this fear, where gender is concerned, is unfounded. I think audiences have grown a lot more accepting of female action leads, in addition to female being involved in the action of male-led action films. A tough, capable female is almost in every male-led action film now.

Of all the female superheroes Wonder Woman is the most ready for the big screen. I was checking out her Encyclopedia and her rogues' gallery isn't bad at all: Cheetah, Giganta, Circe, Ares, Veronica Cale, Dr. Poison, Dr. Psycho, Genocide, Silver Swan, etc. And recently Hera. I could definitely see Ares, Hera, Veronica Cale, Giganta, Circe, and Cheetah being great adversaries.

I also don't think her back story and her mythological ties are any more confusing or convoluted than a lot of other superheroes. A good writer can pull the strands together into something cohesive. If anything, in this age were fantasy films and books are cool, it's a great time to try Wonder Woman. Thor is a good model for how to do it. Also the animated film DC put out a couple years ago would be another good place to look for inspiration.
DarKush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2012, 11:25 PM   #98
Harvey
Admiral
 
Harvey's Avatar
 
Re: Is WB simply afraid of Wonder Woman?

JD wrote: View Post
Did anyone see Haywire? I know it didn't get that good of reviews, but I thought it looked pretty good, and it had a big name director (Steven Soderbergh), and some big names in the supporting cast (Micheal Fassbender, Ewan McGregor, Antonio Banderas, Micheal Douglas).
The reviews that I read were generally favorable, but I didn't really care for the movie. The story was pretty unremarkable, and Gina Carano -- as attractive and physically capable as she is -- couldn't act her way out of a paper bag.

With a budget of $23 million (not counting advertising) and worldwide grosses of $33 million, it wasn't a box office success, either.
__________________
"This begs explanation." - de Forest Research on Star Trek

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2012, 11:27 PM   #99
Gaith
Rear Admiral
 
Gaith's Avatar
 
Location: Washington, DC
Re: Is WB simply afraid of Wonder Woman?

DarKush wrote: View Post
Also the animated film DC put out a couple years ago would be another good place to look for inspiration.
I fear that plot sounds boring as all hell to me... and in its story, where did all these Greek gods go between the Classical and modern times?


Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
Two words that can guarantee a successful Wonder Woman movie: "Nazi Zombies".

No feelings, no morals, no romance... Just Diana ploughing into an endless horde of the undead with her magic sword decapitating and bifurcating the Axis menace.

After the first 10 minutes there's no more bullshit about her sexist costume because you can't see it through the caked gore.
Halfway agree: I'd like to see a WW movie start off in an alternate/even worse WW2, where the Nazis have conquered all of Western Europe (and maybe are still allied with the Soviets?). Along the lines of Captain America, but with a grittier, more Raiders or even Temple of Doom (the non-"funny" bits, mind) feel. Captain America is good and all, but it's so darn shiny.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2012, 11:43 PM   #100
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral
 
Guy Gardener's Avatar
 
Location: In the lap of squalor I assure you.
Re: Is WB simply afraid of Wonder Woman?

have you read New Frontier ( not sure if this bit is in the movie?) but Diana liberates a Combodian rapecamp. Women in bamboo cages taken out for sex and then put away like sports equipment when there's better things to do. So Diana beats up all the cambodian "soldiers" and they're all tied up, she releases the women too, then hands one of thema mahcine gun and says their fate is up to you. A lot of gunfire fire later everyone is feeling real good about themselves. So Diana and these heavily armed women spend the next few months running around south east asia killing every man they see, until they bump into Superman.

"Diana, this is wrong. you can't let them do this, it's murder."

"Shut up Clark, you'll never understand you're not a woman, hell, you're not even human."

(The hilarious bit is that Wonder Woman is almost 6 inches taller than Superman.)

Lucy lawless played Wonder Woman in that aniimated movie.

(but read the comics, a much much larger story.)

I really should think about watching it again.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0902272/

(Wow, Brooke Shields as Carol Ferris? Star Sapphire? That'd still look damn good today in llive action.)
__________________
"Glitter is the herpes of arts and craft."

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2012, 02:01 AM   #101
JD
Admiral
 
JD's Avatar
 
Location: Arizona, USA
Re: Is WB simply afraid of Wonder Woman?

Gaith wrote: View Post
JD wrote: View Post
I've never understood what the problems are with female lead action movies. Is it just sexism or is there more to it?
I think a big part of the appeal of action movies in general is protagonist identification and wish fulfillment: when I see and Iron Man or a Bond movie, I get to pretend/wish I was the guy, beating up baddies, wielding awesome gadgets and getting the girls. But as rich and badass as, say, Jolie's Lara Croft is, I don't at any level, even a subconscious one, want to be her, because I'm fine with being a dude. And, if she gets in a romance with a dude... well, I don't want to be her then, either. Whereas when Bond asks Agent Fields to help him find the hotel stationery... that's a different story.


Now, I enjoy watching dramas, comedies, and other genres with leading female roles just fine. I loved Prometheus a I dug Hanna. But...
But do you really need to be the same sex as the main character to relate to what their going through in something like WW. Sure we aren't the same sex, but I still related to what Katniss went through in Hunger Games, or what Sarah was going through when I watched Labyrinth the other day. There are plenty of situations that are common to both sexes that you can use in a movie like this. Hell, I really didn't have that much relating to Bella when I watch Twilight (yeah, I watched Twilight and I liked it). Now I'm not saying I imagined hooking up with Edward Cullen, but that doesn't mean I couldn't think about what it would be like to hook up with Edwina Cullen.

JD wrote: View Post
Personally, I love kick ass women and would be one of the first people in line for a good Ms. Marvel, or Wonder Woman movie.
I like strong female characters as much as anyone, but am not super-nuts about seeing superwomen kick and toss men around. Call that sexism if you like, I guess. I'd happily see a WW movie if the reviews were good enough, but I'm not clamoring for one.[/QUOTE]
Well, there are plenty of female villains in the DC universe that she could kick and toss around.
__________________
Over the course of many encounters and many years, I have successfully developed a standard operating procedure for dealing with big, nasty monsters. Run away. Me and Monty Python.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2012, 02:16 AM   #102
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral
 
Guy Gardener's Avatar
 
Location: In the lap of squalor I assure you.
Re: Is WB simply afraid of Wonder Woman?

If you relate to Bella Swan on any level, it's time to give up ad move to Cleveland.
__________________
"Glitter is the herpes of arts and craft."

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2012, 02:33 AM   #103
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral
 
Samurai8472's Avatar
 
Re: Is WB simply afraid of Wonder Woman?

Does anyone remember this statement by the WB in 2007?

http://www.cbsnews.com/2100-207_162-3347604.html


The Web site Deadline Hollywood Daily claims Warner boss Jeff Robinov has issued a decree: "We are no longer doing movies with women in the lead."

Two movies headlined by power-house actresses didn't live up to expectations this year. Nicole Kidman is an Oscar-winning actress, but her most recent film "Invasion" might have been called "The Desertion" after it flopped at the box office.

"But that was just a bad movie," Cagle said. "It wasn't because Nicole Kidman was in it. It was because it wasn't a good movie."

The same happened with Jodie Foster's "The Brave One." The two-time Oscar-winner's flick fell flat. Both were released by Warner Brothers.
I don't think much has changed in 5 years
__________________
"Inception" is a layer cake.
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2012, 02:50 AM   #104
Gaith
Rear Admiral
 
Gaith's Avatar
 
Location: Washington, DC
Re: Is WB simply afraid of Wonder Woman?

JD wrote: View Post
Gaith wrote: View Post
Now, I enjoy watching dramas, comedies, and other genres with leading female roles just fine. I loved Prometheus and I dug Hanna. But...
But do you really need to be the same sex as the main character to relate to what their going through in something like WW.
Of course I can relate to emotions experienced by females. The Golden Compass is my favorite book bar none. You don't think I enjoyed Prometheus and Hanna for their compelling male characters, now, do ye?
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2012, 06:44 AM   #105
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral
 
The Mirrorball Man's Avatar
 
Location: Switzerland
View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile
Re: Is WB simply afraid of Wonder Woman?

Gaith wrote: View Post
The Golden Compass is my favorite book bar none. You don't think I enjoyed Prometheus and Hanna for their compelling male characters, now, do ye?
That's a conundrum. I don't know how anyone could enjoy The Golden Compass, Prometheus or Hanna on any level.
__________________
Check out my deviantArt gallery!
The Mirrorball Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
wonder woman

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:18 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.