Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 21 2012, 03:53 AM   #16
sojourner
Vice Admiral

Re: What changes should be made to comics?

I think DC does have some kind of netflix pricing model for it's digital comics.
Old November 22 2012, 03:22 AM   #17
USS Kongo
Fleet Captain

View USS Kongo's Twitter Profile

I recall them trying out a new format called motion-comics a while back. These were standard comics, with still pictures--only with a voice cast performing the characters, like a radio show with pictures. Did this idea go anywhere? Or are digital comics just regular comics without the paper?

I've stopped reading comics a long time ago for the same reasons mentioned here; namely I got tired of constantly having to chase down multiple story lines that were spread out across several different titles.

Sean
USS Kongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2012, 03:26 AM   #18
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

USS Kongo wrote: View Post
I recall them trying out a new format called motion-comics a while back. These were standard comics, with still pictures--only with a voice cast performing the characters, like a radio show with pictures. Did this idea go anywhere?
You can still find motion-comic DVDs of selected comic book stories here and there. Not many, though.
Or are digital comics just regular comics without the paper?
Yup. Basically online comics that you can download.
Old November 22 2012, 03:29 AM   #19
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain

scnj wrote: View Post
Takeru wrote: View Post
Introduce a company style that the artists are forced to use! No individual styles, every character should look the same no matter who draws him/her, screw the artsy stuff. You want to draw in your own style? Create your own stuff at your own company.
What? Why?
Because only the annoying fanboys who are the vast, vast, vast, vast minority of the audience gives a flying fuck about who drew what. The equally vast majority, however, just wants to enjoy the stories and not have to withstand an art style that looks okay one month but then spontaneously transforms into some goofy ass shit that makes them not even want to keep reading the next.

That's probably why.

It also has the additional perk of greatly decreasing the chance that any one artist can have a stranglehold on a comic book by taking their sweet ass time getting the job done. If one decides to act that way, can their ass and let any number of other artists step in all without the readers being the wiser.
Mister Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2012, 05:59 PM   #20
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

Mister Fandango wrote: View Post
scnj wrote: View Post
Takeru wrote: View Post
Introduce a company style that the artists are forced to use! No individual styles, every character should look the same no matter who draws him/her, screw the artsy stuff. You want to draw in your own style? Create your own stuff at your own company.
What? Why?
Because only the annoying fanboys who are the vast, vast, vast, vast minority of the audience gives a flying fuck about who drew what. The equally vast majority, however, just wants to enjoy the stories and not have to withstand an art style that looks okay one month but then spontaneously transforms into some goofy ass shit that makes them not even want to keep reading the next.

That's probably why.

It also has the additional perk of greatly decreasing the chance that any one artist can have a stranglehold on a comic book by taking their sweet ass time getting the job done. If one decides to act that way, can their ass and let any number of other artists step in all without the readers being the wiser.
A house style didn't save Archie comics from suffering loss of readership in recent years, which is probably why they haven't really had one since Dan DeCarlo kicked. Even though basic character designs have been maintained, the styles of their various artists - Dan Parent, Fernando Ruiz, Stan Goldberg, etc. - are easy to differentiate.

Plus, Marvel comics tried the house style thing ages ago, by saying everything had to look more like Kirby when Kirby was drawing half their books. They finally gave it up when other artists demonstrated they could do great work without imitating the great man.

If your problem is really "artistes" that take three months to make a single comic "brilliant," then establishing a house style won't help, because then those self-same artists will have to train to imitate that style and practice to make sure it's indistinguishable from the originator's work, and then doing the comics will take longer, because imitating someone else's style always takes longer than just drawing in a way that you're comfortable with. I know because I've done that more than once. The real solution is to tell the artist, "Draw faster or you're fired."

And yes, I happen to be one of those fanboys who give a flying fuck who draws what.

-Tom Clancy
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2012, 06:19 PM   #21
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

I've solved all my issues with American comics when I stopped buying Marvel, DC or other capes&spandex comics.
Old November 22 2012, 06:29 PM   #22
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain

Admiral2 wrote: View Post
And yes, I happen to be one of those fanboys who give a flying fuck who draws what.
I know, which is why I don't give a damn about anything you just said. Especially since half of it ignored points I brought up in the quoted post. Particularly regarding the asshat "artistes" holding comics hostage.
Mister Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2012, 06:47 PM   #23
USS Kongo
Fleet Captain

View USS Kongo's Twitter Profile

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
You can still find motion-comic DVDs of selected comic book stories here and there. Not many, though.
I figured those motion-comics might have died out. It really didn't sound like a great idea, anyway.

Sean
USS Kongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2012, 06:56 PM   #24
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

Mister Fandango wrote: View Post
I know, which is why I don't give a damn about anything you just said. Especially since half of it ignored points I brought up in the quoted post. Particularly regarding the asshat "artistes" holding comics hostage.
No, I addressed that point by saying, "The solution is, tell the artist to 'draw faster or your fired.'" In fact, I addressed all of your points from the point of view of those who create the comics and those who have to pay them. You don't see that because you defended the notion of a house style from the point of view of the typical reader that knows jack shit about how comics are actually produced.

This is simple: if a house style doesn't increase readership then those companies that have one will abandon it and those that don't won't institute one. And if that's truly the only way to keep artistes from holding comics hostage then that's tough, because editors will keep signing the vouchers and publishers will happily develop Stockholm Syndrome as long as fanboys are still willing to plunk down three or four bucks once it hits the stands. It's the same reason that lockouts and strikes in professional sports are meaningless. There will always be fans stupid enough to pay ticket prices to see games live.

Crusade for a house style all you like. It will still be the least likely change suggested in this thread to actually be implemented because it's something in the comic industry that has already been tried and proven a failure.

-Tom Clancy
Old November 26 2012, 02:59 PM   #25
sciquest2525
Ensign

How about omnibus books that run 128 pages (favourite fantasy) with six 20 page stories in one book that merge six titles into one package? Marvel reprint comic had five standard 22 page titles at $6.99 for 128 pages. How much would you pay for an omnibus title? DC's 52 series could be compacted into just nine titles.
sciquest2525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2012, 03:46 PM   #26
Forbin
Admiral

I, for one, LOVE to see different artists with different styles. It's all about the creativity to me.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2012, 03:22 PM   #27
sciquest2525
Ensign

Would a $9.99 price tag for an Omnibus with six 20 page stories, all new be acceptable?
How about instead of 14 Batman books, use an Omnibus super sized book to absorb 12 of those titles?
sciquest2525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2012, 11:44 PM   #28
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Comics are definitely not a good buy these days. They need to be cheaper. What the best way to do that is, I don't know.

I gave up on mainstream comics somewhere in the middle of Civil War. Not just because they are too expensive for the product, but because the content sucked. Bad stories written by bad writers drawn by bad artists. And I don't know if pulp paper would make comics any more affordable or not, but it would sure make them look better-- computer coloring on glossy paper just makes contemporary comic art look even stiffer and more plastic.

I don't agree with the idea of imposing a House Style-- Marvel was at its best in the 70s when it had an incredibly diverse Bullpen of artistic talent (on the writing side as well)-- but individual characters should definitely be drawn consistently and recognizably.

I also don't agree with nixing shared universes and doing constant reboots, but they should definitely set solid formats for their books and change them only rarely. No major status quo changes every issue, no shocking deaths of major characters every issue, no universe-shattering crossover event every other week. Without gimmicks to fall back on, writers would have to actually write good stories.

As for motion comics, they are an interesting idea. They seem to be derived from those horrible-but-entertaining minimally animated Marvel cartoons of the 60s. They do still exist. If you search for motion comics on YouTube you'll find some. Dark Horse has a few Hellboy episodes that are pretty good.
Old November 28 2012, 02:15 AM   #29
Gotham Central
Vice Admiral

View Gotham Central's Twitter Profile

Send all American comic artists and writers to Japan, Korea and China to learn how to create manga, so we get 18 black and white pages a week instead 22 or 24 pages every other month. Manga is usually published the way comics once were in ancient times - several characters and stories in one magazine - so you could get all your faves in one single weekly purchase. BTW, crossovers in manga are virtually unheard of, so no Crisis of 52 Infinite Civil Secret Wars to deal with.
So what you're saying is that the American comics industry should ditch its current readership completely in the hopes that it MIGHT grab new readers?

From a business perspective that makes no sense. I read American comics and do not read Manga for a reason. In fact I know a lot of comics fans that simply do not read Manga.

What you're essentially saying is that DC and Marvel should just close their respective doors and then reopen as new manga companies and hope that they get readers.
And sing along in the age of paranoia

Green Day
Gotham Central is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2012, 03:06 AM   #30
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

Gotham Central wrote: View Post
Send all American comic artists and writers to Japan, Korea and China to learn how to create manga, so we get 18 black and white pages a week instead 22 or 24 pages every other month. Manga is usually published the way comics once were in ancient times - several characters and stories in one magazine - so you could get all your faves in one single weekly purchase. BTW, crossovers in manga are virtually unheard of, so no Crisis of 52 Infinite Civil Secret Wars to deal with.
So what you're saying is that the American comics industry should ditch its current readership completely in the hopes that it MIGHT grab new readers?
Wow. So nobody really reads what I'm posting, huh?

No, what I'm saying is American comics publishers should return to a publishing model that actually worked for them for decades using creation techniques that dominate the comics industry of an entire continent and has made massive inroads into most of the rest of the continents.

From a business perspective that makes no sense. I read American comics and do not read Manga for a reason. In fact I know a lot of comics fans that simply do not read Manga.
So do I, and the reasons you all site are generally based on misconceptions about Manga. You have no idea what a good Manga artist is capable of.

What you're essentially saying is that DC and Marvel should just close their respective doors and then reopen as new manga companies and hope that they get readers.
Like I said in the first line of this response...

-Tom Clancy