A CGI tour of the USS Enterprise.

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by protogenes, Nov 27, 2012.

1. protogenes

protogenes Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

2. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

Oh my goodness. This is a frackin' fascinating, passionate, tasteful and stunningly beautiful piece of work. :techman::bolian::techman::techman:

I guess those of us who are doing or have been doing USS Enterprise deck plans would love to see their results in such three-dimensional CGI animation.

Bob

P.S. The Klingon Battlecruisers look much better than these did in TOS-R

3. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

I was about to say the same thing! :lol:

4. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Impressive work with the interiors. The feeling was like walking though interactive exhibits at Chicago's Museum of Science and Industry.

5. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

Gorgeous! The ONLY thing (that I could notice) that he got wrong was the actual structure of the hex-grilles. And that's such a small detail, that I think it can be excused. I'm willing to bet he consciously chose to do it the way he did it for technical reasons. I'm sure the poly count for doing it the real way would be astronomical.

Also, I loved the clips of the show playing on the screens. It made the whole thing easy to sit through. I was uneasy clicking on a 10 minute video, but that went so fast....

I loved it. I can't gush enough!

--Alex

6. blssdwlf

blssdwlf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well done :techman: I've got to ask, what was that thing that flew out of the ship at the end?

7. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That was, frankly, moving. Would that it preserved the feeling of Kirk's speech at the end and didn't go to outtakes and meta/ironic references. I am ok with seriousness of tone when it is warranted and works, as it does in this almost poetic, short film. But again, to focus on the main thing, it was moving. That show and universe have given me so much joy and inspiration over the years! This really reminded me of it.

Thanks for doing this.

8. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

This is AWESOME, Alan!!! My only request: is there a downloadable version? This one is a keeper...

Nice touch having your own cabin... I'm jealous!

Spock launching at the end was the only 'less than perfect' part. Perhaps a piece of video from the show would improve that... like you did with the vid screens throughout the ship... [Sorry, I'm getting old and cannot remember the term for the "time capsule" jettisoned at the end.]

9. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

I feel inclined to disagree. The flight deck, its proper illumination and the correct amount of windows were also much better than in TOS-R. If the shuttlebay scenes in TOS-R would have looked like that, I would have probably made lesser use of the angle button of my remote to switch to the original shuttlebay footage. ;)

Bob

10. protogenes

protogenes Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Thank you sir.

The object comes from an earlier version of the video (maybe version 5 or 6, this current one is version 10), when Enterprise had gone off the air and it was unsure if Star Trek would ever come back in any form. It says "Star Trek Lives" on the side, and is also a reference to the first post TOS fans of the 1970's.

11. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

The best 10 minutes I have spent today and the best tour of the USS Enterprise I have ever taken. Thanks for the wonderful work.

12. 22 Stars

22 Stars Commodore Commodore

Great work!!!!!!!

13. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

Please allow me to clarify my earlier post:

The scenery was very gratifying. It was the look of Spock specifically, that, in my sole opinion, could have looked a little better. I felt that part could have been better by taking stock footage of Spock launching something and placing it in the splendid set created by our friend, AR. Much as he did on view screens throughout the ship.

This does NOT mean I do not appreciate the masterful work produced. Merely constructive commentary... nothing more.:techman:

14. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That was obviously a labor of love. Well done! It encapsulates many magic feelings that decades of knowing Star Trek inspires in me.

15. Mr_Homn

Mr_Homn Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

very cool. thank you for making this. i look forward to more of your work

anyone else reminded of the cancelled "secret of the vulcan fury" adventure game when they saw spock at the end?

16. Triskelion

Triskelion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That was amazing!

17. CaptPapa

CaptPapa Commander Red Shirt

That is fantastic!:techman::techman::techman:

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Ohhh . . . the CGI productions that are just around the corner.:drool: New stories with OUR old crew!:drool:

ME

18. sunburn800

sunburn800 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

theres not much to add after all the other replies but i will try. one of the best damn fan efforts i have ever seen, no even that does not do justices to this work of art.

19. Grup

Grup Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Absolutely amazing. :bolian:

I especially liked the detail of Uhura's/Spock's earpiece.

20. Ian Keldon

Ian Keldon Fleet Captain

Simply frakking brilliant!