RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 140,815
Posts: 5,472,558
Members: 25,037
Currently online: 524
Newest member: Sebastian380

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Shatner Book Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Nov 20

Trek Original Series Slippers
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Hemsworth Is Sexiest Man Alive
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old November 27 2012, 09:24 PM   #106
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral
 
Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Synopsis Revealed!!

Mach5 wrote: View Post
Goes to an alien planet (Delta Vega or whatever), acquires "weapon of mass destruction" powers but they don't manifest themselves before...

1. he returns to Earth where he starts metamorphosing into a godlike creature, goes mad and blows up a bunch of spaceships
2. Earth isn't enough for him so he takes off into the unknown to stir some more shit
3. cynical trekkies have no imagination
4. ???
5. Paramount makes shitloads of PROFIT
Aside from that being a bit tortured, you didn't address any of the major points. There's no evident correspondence between this synopsis and anything specific to Mitchell's story, and no other good reason to suspect that it's Mitchell.

Therefore...
Admiral Buzzkill is offline  
Old November 27 2012, 09:27 PM   #107
bullethead
Fleet Captain
 
bullethead's Avatar
 
Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Synopsis Revealed!!

Jackson_Roykirk wrote: View Post
M'Sharak wrote: View Post
...That's bugging me just a bit. There's nothing on the Paramount site's press releases page and nothing on the startrekmovie.com site. There does appear to be another site, but (as you say) not accessible to mortals without a password.
I'm a bit bugged by some of the language used in the press release. Some of the choice of words and phrasing strikes me as odd, such as:

"detonated the fleet"
and
"leaving our world in a state of crisis"

Why "the fleet"? And why "detonated"? Also, why say "our world"?

I don't know. Perhaps it is a real press release or perhaps it isn't.
However, if it is real, it sounds as if it was written by a summer intern.
I wouldn't be surprised if the press release was written by someone without a writing background or was tossed out there as is because people were tired of dealing with Bad Robot's secrecy fetish. This press release really feels like they gave up after getting tons of memos about what they couldn't say and stuck in the weird stuff as a "fuck you" to Bad Robot.
__________________
A business man and engineer discuss how to launch a communications satellite in the 1960s:
Biz Dev Guy: Your communications satellite has to be the size, shape, and weight of a hydrogen bomb.
bullethead is offline  
Old November 27 2012, 09:45 PM   #108
Mach5
Rear Admiral
 
Mach5's Avatar
 
Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Synopsis Revealed!!

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
There's no evident correspondence between this synopsis and anything specific to Mitchell's story, and no other good reason to suspect that it's Mitchell.

Therefore...
Therefore what?

The synopsis is much to vague to have "evident correspondence" to anything really... No wait, but it DOES have! Or you don't think Gary Mitchell qualifies as a "human WMD"?
__________________
"Religion is something left over from the infancy of our intelligence, it will fade away as we adopt reason and science as our guidelines."
― Bertrand Russell
Mach5 is offline  
Old November 27 2012, 09:50 PM   #109
Minuet
Lieutenant Commander
 
Minuet's Avatar
 
Location: The marvelous progressive utopia of California
Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Synopsis Revealed!!

billcosby wrote: View Post
A personal score to settle - wait we're getting another gods-damned revenge story? I've honestly lost count of how many revenge Trek films in a row there have been...

No strange new worlds or new life and new civilization?
Comic Book Guy: "Worst. Synopsis. Ever."
The movies aren't about big ideas. They're about lasers and explosions and sword fights and cute little cuddly engineer sidekicks that look like mutated Furbies.

But that's what we've been reduced to. The standard Hollywood audience has no attention span for big ideas anymore. Ironically, the two most maligned films of TOS, The Motion Picture and The Final Frontier, were the closest to the original television show in terms of story scope--big sci-fi ideas and concepts that make you think.

So, you know, the new film is going to be fun. I'm sure it will be. But if they were trying to reboot the old show with the new films and update it for a new audience, there's no question that something was lost in translation. And I really, really enjoyed the 2009 film. It's just...I feel like Gene would have said the same thing. It's missing heart. The tone is completely off.

I'm optimistic though. I hope it'll get better over time.
__________________
"What's a knockout like you doing in a computer generated gin joint like this?"
Minuet is offline  
Old November 27 2012, 09:59 PM   #110
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain
 
Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Synopsis Revealed!!

Was there ever an ST movie about making first contact besides the whale movie and V'Ger one which was terribly boring?
Drago-Kazov is offline  
Old November 27 2012, 10:05 PM   #111
Kruezerman
Fleet Captain
 
Kruezerman's Avatar
 
Location: The corner of San Antonio and a bottle of Fireball
Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Synopsis Revealed!!

Minuet wrote: View Post
billcosby wrote: View Post
A personal score to settle - wait we're getting another gods-damned revenge story? I've honestly lost count of how many revenge Trek films in a row there have been...

No strange new worlds or new life and new civilization?
Comic Book Guy: "Worst. Synopsis. Ever."
The movies aren't about big ideas. They're about lasers and explosions and sword fights and cute little cuddly engineer sidekicks that look like mutated Furbies.

But that's what we've been reduced to. The standard Hollywood audience has no attention span for big ideas anymore. Ironically, the two most maligned films of TOS, The Motion Picture and The Final Frontier, were the closest to the original television show in terms of story scope--big sci-fi ideas and concepts that make you think.

So, you know, the new film is going to be fun. I'm sure it will be. But if they were trying to reboot the old show with the new films and update it for a new audience, there's no question that something was lost in translation. And I really, really enjoyed the 2009 film. It's just...I feel like Gene would have said the same thing. It's missing heart. The tone is completely off.

I'm optimistic though. I hope it'll get better over time.
Ya know I am sick to the death of this "ADD generation" bull crap. I'm twenty and I enjoyed TMP just fine, the problem wasn't that it was "too big" but that it's story plodded along with filler and a stretched out story line. The Final Frontier simply failed in all forms.
__________________
I'm not saying it's cold, but I just keyed two cars with my nipples.
Kruezerman is offline  
Old November 27 2012, 10:07 PM   #112
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral
 
Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Synopsis Revealed!!

Minuet wrote: View Post
Ironically, the two most maligned films of TOS, The Motion Picture and The Final Frontier, were the closest to the original television show in terms of story scope--big sci-fi ideas and concepts that make you think.
Yes, and they were poor entertainment that didn't even really "make you think" because the writers' notions of big ideas were ill thought-out and sophomoric. Neither movie was even good by Star Trek "thought-provoking" standards, which have rarely been as high as trekkies assert.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline  
Old November 27 2012, 10:08 PM   #113
Minuet
Lieutenant Commander
 
Minuet's Avatar
 
Location: The marvelous progressive utopia of California
Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Synopsis Revealed!!

Oh, I loved The Motion Picture. I'm an unabashed and completely out of the closet with my love for the "V'ger one." It's a beautiful film (especially the Director's Cut), even if it is somewhat lethargically paced.

And yes, there was, you know, First Contact, the TNG one, but even that kind of followed the new credo of more action, less interaction. I just hope this new film has a heart that the last four or five films have lacked.
__________________
"What's a knockout like you doing in a computer generated gin joint like this?"
Minuet is offline  
Old November 27 2012, 10:15 PM   #114
Minuet
Lieutenant Commander
 
Minuet's Avatar
 
Location: The marvelous progressive utopia of California
Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Synopsis Revealed!!

Yes, and they were poor entertainment that didn't even really "make you think" because the writers' notions of big ideas were ill thought-out and sophomoric. Neither movie was even good by Star Trek "thought-provoking" standards, which have rarely been as high as trekkies assert.
Ya know I am sick to the death of this "ADD generation" bull crap. I'm twenty and I enjoyed TMP just fine, the problem wasn't that it was "too big" but that it's story plodded along with filler and a stretched out story line. The Final Frontier simply failed in all forms.
Those are all valid points. I mean, I'm in my twenties myself, and maybe it was unfair of me to use the "ADD generation" card. Still, I guess it's just a matter of taste in the end.

I feel wholeheartedly that Star Trek was best as a television show, and the movies have always paled in comparison to the TV version, because the show was always meant to exist as a long, overarching saga, not self-contained two hour films that have to please everybody and as many demographics as possible. These new films are clearly intended for a wider audience (the older films tried this too, but it was never more obvious than now), and I can sympathize with those that find this a little strange. I can also sympathize with the other viewpoint, that Star Trek should be for everyone. I can see both sides.
__________________
"What's a knockout like you doing in a computer generated gin joint like this?"
Minuet is offline  
Old November 27 2012, 10:16 PM   #115
Kruezerman
Fleet Captain
 
Kruezerman's Avatar
 
Location: The corner of San Antonio and a bottle of Fireball
Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Synopsis Revealed!!

Minuet wrote: View Post
Oh, I loved The Motion Picture. I'm an unabashed and completely out of the closet with my love for the "V'ger one." It's a beautiful film (especially the Director's Cut), even if it is somewhat lethargically paced.

And yes, there was, you know, First Contact, the TNG one, but even that kind of followed the new credo of more action, less interaction. I just hope this new film has a heart that the last four or five films have lacked.

The one with the most "heart" to me was The Voyage Home simply because you had the crew being heroes even when they have nothing but a rust bucket of a ship.

But the one that screamed Star Trek to me was XI. It was TOS on steroids, adventure and action and fun PLUS the drama and fighting that we gained back in DS9.

Minuet wrote: View Post
Yes, and they were poor entertainment that didn't even really "make you think" because the writers' notions of big ideas were ill thought-out and sophomoric. Neither movie was even good by Star Trek "thought-provoking" standards, which have rarely been as high as trekkies assert.
Ya know I am sick to the death of this "ADD generation" bull crap. I'm twenty and I enjoyed TMP just fine, the problem wasn't that it was "too big" but that it's story plodded along with filler and a stretched out story line. The Final Frontier simply failed in all forms.
Those are all valid points. I mean, I'm in my twenties myself, and maybe it was unfair of me to use the "ADD generation" card. Still, I guess it's just a matter of taste in the end.

I feel wholeheartedly that Star Trek was best as a television show, and the movies have always paled in comparison to the TV version, because the show was always meant to exist as a long, overarching saga, not self-contained two hour films that have to please everybody and as many demographics as possible. These new films are clearly intended for a wider audience (the older films tried this too, but it was never more obvious than now), and I can sympathize with those that find this a little strange. I can also sympathize with the other viewpoint, that Star Trek should be for everyone. I can see both sides.
My problem isn't with those that believe that Trek should be like 2001 or Avatar or whatever, my problem is with those who believe that it has always been like that. It wasn't, Star Trek was everything that just so happened to take place on a ship named Enterprise. XI proved that the basics of Star Trek are the adventures of Captain Kirk and his crew through space.

Will there be big questions asked? Yep, but not all the time, and when the makers do those episodes or films, they'll do it the way they want to, it won't be 100% the way we want it.

As an aside, can you imagine what The Motion Picture will be like when they redo it? Can you imagine how magnificent V'Ger will look?
__________________
I'm not saying it's cold, but I just keyed two cars with my nipples.

Last edited by Kruezerman; November 27 2012 at 10:29 PM.
Kruezerman is offline  
Old November 27 2012, 10:30 PM   #116
Minuet
Lieutenant Commander
 
Minuet's Avatar
 
Location: The marvelous progressive utopia of California
Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Synopsis Revealed!!

Kruezerman wrote: View Post
The one with the most "heart" to me was The Voyage Home simply because you had the crew being heroes even when they have nothing but a rust bucket of a ship.
I loved TVH. It was probably the most successful of the movies in terms of trying to include mainstream audiences.
__________________
"What's a knockout like you doing in a computer generated gin joint like this?"
Minuet is offline  
Old November 27 2012, 10:32 PM   #117
Minuet
Lieutenant Commander
 
Minuet's Avatar
 
Location: The marvelous progressive utopia of California
Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Synopsis Revealed!!

Kruezerman wrote: View Post
As an aside, can you imagine what The Motion Picture will be like when they redo it? Can you imagine how magnificent V'Ger will look?
Redo it? I'm not sure what you mean. They have the Director's Cut, which I'm hoping they will transfer to Blu-ray someday. What do you mean by redo it? Rebooting it?
__________________
"What's a knockout like you doing in a computer generated gin joint like this?"
Minuet is offline  
Old November 27 2012, 10:37 PM   #118
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain
 
Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Synopsis Revealed!!

He wants a remake. If ever was one it would go straight to DVD.
Drago-Kazov is offline  
Old November 27 2012, 10:41 PM   #119
Minuet
Lieutenant Commander
 
Minuet's Avatar
 
Location: The marvelous progressive utopia of California
Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Synopsis Revealed!!

Drago-Kazov wrote: View Post
He wants a remake. If ever was one it would go straight to DVD.
Of course. There's no market for it.

I'm perfectly content with the Director's Cut. It's not going to get any better than it already is, logistically speaking. It's a film that is a product of the times, and even if it's not perfect, it holds a special place in the hearts of many trekkies that saw it as their first Trek film ever. It's got some fine performances, has some wonderful character scenes between Kirk, Spock, and McCoy, and it would just be strange to see a remake. Perfect or not, it deserves to be left alone.
__________________
"What's a knockout like you doing in a computer generated gin joint like this?"
Minuet is offline  
Old November 27 2012, 10:52 PM   #120
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral
 
Flying Spaghetti Monster's Avatar
 
Location: Flying Spaghetti Western
Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Synopsis Revealed!!

Usually when the studio releases these summaries they give you a pretty clear idea of the characters and the basic conflict. Case in point is the 2009 film in which it laid out how to outcast from different worlds must get over their conflict and work together. Simple, to be sure, but well written and defined.

This summary left me baffled beyond reason. What the hell is this movie about?
__________________
See, the problem is that you are using your cards to show me what cards you have, and if you can't see that this is viciously circular, then there is no point in continuing
Flying Spaghetti Monster is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Tags
stid, synopsis

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:50 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.