Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 27 2012, 07:12 AM   #616
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Re: They are going ahead with a Justice League movie

^ I'd rather see a continuation of Batman with Gordon-Levitt. They already have their billion-dollar franchise with Nolan's series. They don't need to push for a Justice League movie hoping to copy what the Marvel movies did.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2012, 08:26 AM   #617
sojourner
Admiral

Considering Man of Steel is most likely done filming, I call bullshit on the last part of that article. I seriously doubt Batman will be making an appearance in the film in any way.
Old November 27 2012, 03:54 PM   #618
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

I'm not ready to buy into this.
It sounds like fanboy hopes typing away at the keyboard. As if by simply placing the idea into the consciousness of the 'net it will get to where it needs to be and become reality.
Some would say this has happened before of course but I'm not buying this at it's current rumor mill state.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2012, 06:12 PM   #619
Saul
Rear Admiral

They'll do something because as it stands 'The Man of Steel' is the only DC movie they'll have to lead into this. Every Marvel movie was doing this from the beginning. I think they've got to do something similar to get attention to the film.

Avengers had scenes added at the last minute for the after credits so I don't see why they can't something quickly like that with MOS.
Old November 27 2012, 06:18 PM   #620
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

I think the better question is do we really want the first time Superman and Batman appear on screen to NOT be Clark and Bruce? I'll have trouble accepting him even as Batman honestly if it's JLG. Firstly he's not Bruce and looks 19. Sure the suit will beef him up ala Keaton but he's still just a poor substitute for the real thing. It seems a poor attempt to make the Nolan saga part of something more than it was designed to be.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2012, 09:41 PM   #621
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

I really hope this isn't true. I liked TDKR and its ending and I do think JGL has the charisma to lead a Batman movie. But really, I don't think it was intended to carry on John Blake's story - it was just a way of wrapping up Bruce Wayne's story while letting us know that The Batman would continue.

I also think that if they were to make a subsequent movie with Blake as Batman, it should continue in Nolan's relatively grounded universe - a move into a world with superpowers and aliens would be a very dramatic shift. Also, as Captain Craig says, I want a Superman/Batman link-up to be between Clark and Bruce, not Clark and someone else.

The JLA movie seems like a perfect opportunity to relaunch Batman in a different continuity than Nolan's. And despite Nolan's connection to MOS, I'm very sceptical of the claim that Blake will cameo in that movie - it seems at odds with Nolan's insistence that he wasn't working towards Supes and Bats sharing an onscreen universe.
Old November 27 2012, 09:55 PM   #622
Christopher
Writer

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
I also think that if they were to make a subsequent movie with Blake as Batman, it should continue in Nolan's relatively grounded universe - a move into a world with superpowers and aliens would be a very dramatic shift.
Not necessarily. In the recent interview, Snyder said that producer Nolan insisted on a grounded and realistic approach to Superman, with some scientific justification for things (or so it sounded to me). And let's face it, there's plenty of outright impossibility in the Nolan Bat-films, from the inane microwave weapon in Begins to Batman's shattered-bullet forensics and the cable impossibly strong enough to flip over a truck in TDK to Bruce's magic recovery from a broken spine and the fusion overload that can be timed to the second in TDKR. Despite their pretensions of realism, they are fantasy movies. It's just that the impossibilities are presented with the trappings of realism, and in the context of an at least somewhat grounded and naturalistic character story, so we're willing to suspend disbelief.

The JLA movie seems like a perfect opportunity to relaunch Batman in a different continuity than Nolan's. And despite Nolan's connection to MOS, I'm very sceptical of the claim that Blake will cameo in that movie - it seems at odds with Nolan's insistence that he wasn't working towards Supes and Bats sharing an onscreen universe.
True, but there have been plenty of instances where a creator has had one intention at the start but has then been persuaded by his employers to change those intentions when enough money was at stake. (E.g. Conan Doyle killing off Sherlock Holmes in "The Final Problem," which at the time he intended to be permanent and irrevocable.) Gordon-Leavitt's a big star now after TDKR and Looper. The studio's desire to capitalize on his growing fame may have outweighed Nolan's desire to keep the universes separate. It's not as if Nolan is the only decision-maker involved here. Ultimately it's Warner Bros. and DC Entertainment that he answers to.

That said, of course, a rumor is just a rumor, and "sources" who don't give their names shouldn't be trusted, at least until there's independent and official confirmation. I'm just saying it's possible.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2012, 11:46 PM   #623
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

^Well, you'll note I was careful to say 'relatively grounded', as oppose to 'hyper-realistic' or anything like that. And yes, it's too early to know what approach MOS will take.

But yeah, it's a rumour and I always like to go with the William Goldman adage that in Hollywood, nobody knows anything. And the counter to that is that anything's possible.
Old November 28 2012, 01:31 AM   #624
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

entertainment weekly

The news is surprising for a few reasons, not least because the Dark Knight trilogy seemed like a complete saga hermetically sealed in a non-superpowered reality. Then again, DC Comics does have a history of passing superhero mantles through various secret identities — even Bruce Wayne hasn’t always been Batman. And Christopher Nolan is producing Man of Steel. And Joseph Gordon-Levitt didn’t explicitly turn down the idea of starring in Justice League when asked by Hitfix over the summer. And and and…

Well, when contacted by EW, a representative for Joseph Gordon-Levitt declares the report entirely false
Old November 28 2012, 01:35 AM   #625
JD
Admiral

I heard about this earlier but I don't believe it. TDKR was the end of the story, and I'd rather not see them force a continuation just to use the popularity of Nolan's trilogy.
Old November 28 2012, 04:26 AM   #626
Saul
Rear Admiral

But whether we like it or not it is a good way of having two characters already established by the time we get to Justice League instead of a bunch of baby faces.
Old November 28 2012, 03:00 PM   #627
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Saul wrote: View Post
They'll do something because as it stands 'The Man of Steel' is the only DC movie they'll have to lead into this. Every Marvel movie was doing this from the beginning. I think they've got to do something similar to get attention to the film.
Thing is, they haven't yet announced if Cavill will be the JLA Supes. It's almost as if they're waiting to see how MOS does before making that call. They've got to be planning on having him in a MOS2 at the very least, but look how that worked out for GL2...
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2012, 03:05 PM   #628
Saul
Rear Admiral

This is why it would be better to do solo movies first, the least successful character's don't appear or get recast and the most popular lead the film. It has better chances of some character carrying the film due to their popularity in their Solo films. I think Cavill is contracted for 3 movies. I say WB should just gun it and go ahead with casting him as supes in Justice League or else we are back to square one with a new superman and testing the audience on him all over again.
Old November 28 2012, 05:10 PM   #629
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Eh, I'm glad there wasn't a JLA for Bats to call on in TDK, and I'm fine with Supes being the only true superhero in his stories also. Parallel Cavill Supes and JLA movies wouldn't bother me, though they could indeed be an awkward sell to the general public.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2012, 09:33 PM   #630
Gojira
Commodore

Saul wrote: View Post
This is why it would be better to do solo movies first, the least successful character's don't appear or get recast and the most popular lead the film. It has better chances of some character carrying the film due to their popularity in their Solo films. I think Cavill is contracted for 3 movies. I say WB should just gun it and go ahead with casting him as supes in Justice League or else we are back to square one with a new superman and testing the audience on him all over again.
I hear Cavill signed on for three Superman movies. If the first one does do well then and they don't cast him in JLA movie we will have two different actors playing the same charcacter and that seems rather pointless.