To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Closed Thread

Old November 27 2012, 05:17 PM   #91
Ryan Thomas Riddle
Rear Admiral

View Ryan Thomas Riddle's Twitter Profile
Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Synopsis Revealed!!

CoveTom wrote: View Post
Devon wrote: View Post
A film of two hours of doing nothing but taking scans and readings is not summer blockbuster material....
And Star Trek has never really been summer blockbuster material either. When it tries to be is when it's at its worst. That's why I maintain Star Trek's true home is on television. That's where it has the freedom to tell the stories it wants to tell. And that's where it needs to go back to.
It's never really been summer blockbuster material in the past because its never really been approached seriously [read: done well] in that manner. That being said, every movie after TMP tried to recreate Trek as a summer blockbuster in some fashion even if it wasn't the summer, from TWOK to TFF to FC to NEM.
Old November 27 2012, 05:21 PM   #92
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

So, the Mitchell theory hangs now on the notion that instead of being zapped at the edge of the galaxy with god-like powers that manifest themselves fairly quickly as telekinesis and matter transmutation in such a fashion as to unbalance him and fill him with contempt for human beings, Mitchell now:

1. Acquires "weapon of mass destruction" powers;
  2. Returns to Earth as part of Starfleet so he can blow up a bunch of spaceships;
  3. Runs away to hide out on a distant planet, because - SHUT UP!?
  4. ???
  5. Victory!
Oh, and despite spending literally years now involved with a studio franchise which has successfully kept the lid on Star Trek secrets and has made it clear to everyone employed that leaking would be a "career-limiting move," Karl Urban decided to blurt out the biggest secret of the upcoming film in a public forum with a laugh and a wink. The fact that he continued to joke publicly about having done so for months afterward is all part of his cunning plan.

Uh-huh.

Instead of playing fanboy guessing games based on the notion that TPTB are accidentally letting clues to their Big Secret slip every time they make a statement, try this: what does the synopsis, trivial though it is, suggest about the motives of the villain(s) as they affect the plot of the film and how does that square with any possible precursors in the franchise?

Last edited by Admiral Buzzkill; November 27 2012 at 05:46 PM.
Old November 27 2012, 05:31 PM   #93
Rhaven
Captain

All speculation, complaints and objections aside, I'm still going to be there opening day to see the movie. I suspect most of us will be there too.
Old November 27 2012, 05:46 PM   #94
Saul
Rear Admiral

KingDaniel wrote: View Post
"Detonated the fleet" sounds really awkward. "Destroyed" would have been a better choice. But I guess something had to sound weird, because they made the name of the movie sound awesome - "...that takes Star Trek Into Darkness." *thunderclap*
I get the impression they are trying as hard as possible to keep the plot under wraps and say detonated as if we can't be sure that the fleet will be destroyed and saving the surprise for the opening 9 minutes.
Old November 27 2012, 05:52 PM   #95
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Drago-Kazov wrote: View Post
Matt S wrote: View Post

I'll say this: if it was a version of TNG story above, I'd dig it. If memory serves, TNG conveniently decided to forget about that whole arc they created for themselves....or did I forget of a follow up?
There is no followup, not even in the books.
Worlds of Deep Space Nine, Volume 2: Trill/Bajor covered the "Conspiracy" parasites' origins, and the aftermath of that discovery.
Old November 27 2012, 05:56 PM   #96
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain

Thanks.
Old November 27 2012, 06:07 PM   #97
Mach5
Rear Admiral

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
Acquires "weapon of mass destruction" powers;
  1. Returns to Earth as part of Starfleet so he can blow up a bunch of spaceships;
  2. Runs away to hide out on a distant planet, because - SHUT UP!?
  3. ???
  4. Victory!
Goes to an alien planet (Delta Vega or whatever), acquires "weapon of mass destruction" powers but they don't manifest themselves before...

1. he returns to Earth where he starts metamorphosing into a godlike creature, goes mad and blows up a bunch of spaceships
2. Earth isn't enough for him so he takes off into the unknown to stir some more shit
3. cynical trekkies have no imagination
4. ???
5. Paramount makes shitloads of PROFIT
Old November 27 2012, 06:10 PM   #98
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Carcazoid wrote: View Post

According to all the sites posting it, it's from a Paramount press release, although I can't find the original source.

Everyone says it's the official press release. I'm asking where the press release itself is posted, not just quoted.
http://thefilmstage.com/news/captain...into-darkness/

It's on their official press website, uploaded tonight. Believe me, we wouldn't post it if it wasn't legit.
I guess this "official press site" isn't accessable to us mere mortals?
That's bugging me just a bit. There's nothing on the Paramount site's press releases page and nothing on the startrekmovie.com site. There does appear to be another site, but (as you say) not accessible to mortals without a password.
Old November 27 2012, 08:36 PM   #99
Tamek
Admiral

Hythlodeus wrote: View Post
Am I the only one who thinks Cumberbatch may be Kirk's brother? A foe close to Jim, that leaves him with only the crew of the Enterprise as family?

This is the kind of thing they might do, but they made it out in the last movie that Kirk is kind of a loner and hasn't really formed any close relationships at any point in his life.

I have to wonder if the war-torn planet isn't Tallos Iv in some way shape or form.

(And T'Bonz better not publish any #*(@&$ screenshots showing me and my temper)
(<3 T'Bonz
Old November 27 2012, 08:45 PM   #100
Vektor
Rear Admiral

Based on the synopsis, and a few other things, I'm going with Garth of Izar. In TOS lore, he was a Fleet Captain and one of Kirk's personal heroes. I can imagine a plot in which he essentially goes rogue and convinces a significant chunk of Starfleet to go with him. Maybe he's insane as he was in the old TOS episode, or maybe he's just disaffected or pissed off about something. Either way, he evidently brings the hammer down on Earth in some way--though I'm not convinced the "detonated" part is to be taken literally--before taking off for this "war zone world" where he presumably intends to cause further trouble.

As for being a one-man weapon of mass destruction, Garth did have special powers taught to him by the Antosians, though they were limited to shape-changing abilities. No reason they can't expand on that, though, to make him more generally superhuman, able to shrug off Vulcan nerve pinches, etc.
Old November 27 2012, 08:52 PM   #101
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

I was thinking about the "war-torn planet". Could it even be Earth? Just how far into chaos will Earth be plunged by Starfleet's betrayal and destruction?
Old November 27 2012, 09:05 PM   #102
bullethead
Fleet Captain

I was thinking about the "war-torn planet". Could it even be Earth? Just how far into chaos will Earth be plunged by Starfleet's betrayal and destruction?
We don't even know if Starfleet is destroyed, betrayed, or anything. We only have a few clues to the puzzle right now, with the new Trek game and Countdown Into Darkness being the major ones we need to get a good grasp on things.
Old November 27 2012, 09:18 PM   #103
Hythlodeus
Commander

Tamek wrote: View Post
Hythlodeus wrote: View Post
Am I the only one who thinks Cumberbatch may be Kirk's brother? A foe close to Jim, that leaves him with only the crew of the Enterprise as family?

This is the kind of thing they might do, but they made it out in the last movie that Kirk is kind of a loner and hasn't really formed any close relationships at any point in his life.

I have to wonder if the war-torn planet isn't Tallos Iv in some way shape or form.
I think you mean Tarsus IV, and yes, that what I was thinking too. Peter Weller might be Kodos, somehow genetically engineering Sam Kirk for unknown reasons. We don't know if Tarsus IV happend in the nuUniverse or how Nero changed that part. For all we know only Sam went to the planet, leaving Jim and Winona behind on Earth. Now he returns as a sleeper agent, infiltrating Starfleet... or something along the line.
But Cumberbatch as Sam Kirk makes way more sense than Mitchell
Old November 27 2012, 09:20 PM   #104
Jackson_Roykirk
Commodore

M'Sharak wrote: View Post
...That's bugging me just a bit. There's nothing on the Paramount site's press releases page and nothing on the startrekmovie.com site. There does appear to be another site, but (as you say) not accessible to mortals without a password.
I'm a bit bugged by some of the language used in the press release. Some of the choice of words and phrasing strike me as odd, such as:

"detonated the fleet"
and
"leaving our world in a state of crisis"

Why "the fleet"? And why "detonated"? Also, why say "our world"?

I don't know. Perhaps it is a real press release or perhaps it isn't.
However, if it is real, it sounds as if it was written by a summer intern.

Then again, I suppose I could see some copy editor at the Paramount PR department changing "Starfleet" to "The fleet", and "The Federation" to "our world" in order to make it sound less "Star Trek-ish" and more general.

...With shoes that cut, and eyes that burn like cigarettes
With fingernails that shine like justice and a voice that is dark like tinted glass...
Old November 27 2012, 09:24 PM   #105
billcosby
Commodore

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
CoveTom wrote: View Post
And Star Trek has never really been summer blockbuster material either. When it tries to be is when it's at its worst. That's why I maintain Star Trek's true home is on television. That's where it has the freedom to tell the stories it wants to tell. And that's where it needs to go back to.
It failed on television because the shows told the same stories in the same ways, over and over, for decades. Only a couple of million trekkies continued to care.
Agreed, but if they keep churning out the same old tired 'revenge' device the theatre audience might start to realize the failings of recycling this device.

I'm still stoked on the movie (even though it's too late by a year at least) and I'll still see it, I just wish the intellectuals in the seats would be given something to mull over besides "he hurt me, I'll hurt him back until he's dead."

I know I said that I'd 'honestly lost track' of this... so I guess I lied. But this is where we are:

There were no revenge concepts in plot A of The Motion Picture, The Search For Spock, The Voyage Home, The Final Frontier and Generations. Since Generations it's been like a skipping record.

REVENGE PLOT

1. Bad man causes trouble to the world (galaxy), the captain and his ship
2. Captain chases the bad man. People die. Things explode.
3. Captain gets his revenge by killing the bad man.

CASE STUDIES:

Wrath of Khan (Khan), The Undiscovered Country (Chang), First Contact (Borg), Insurrection (Ru'afo), Nemesis (Shinzon), Trek XI (Nero).

NOTABLE QUOTES:

"I've never trusted Klingons, and I never will. I can never forgive them for the death of my boy."
Captain Kirk, Star Trek: The Undiscovered County

"And I... will make them pay for what they've done!"
Captain Picard, Star Trek: First Contact

"I got your gun."
Acting Captain Kirk, Star Trek XI

Last edited by billcosby; November 28 2012 at 03:39 AM.
Closed Thread