RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,198
Posts: 5,404,256
Members: 24,759
Currently online: 445
Newest member: T_Grr

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: Time’s Orphan
By: Michelle on Aug 30

September-October Trek Conventions And Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Aug 29

Lee Passes
By: T'Bonz on Aug 29

Trek Merchandise Sale
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek #39 Villain Revealed
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Trek Big Bang Figures
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old November 27 2012, 04:22 PM   #16
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain
 
Re: Wars and campaigns that were largely ignored by FPS's

But you could do a WWII game set in N. Africa with things like the 2nd Battle of El-Alamein, the Torch landings, the landings in Scilly and in Italy.
COD and i think Medal of Honor already did this.

For gamers in Europe the conflict with Nazi Germany is more prominant than say the war against the Empire of Japan.
Which was the Medal of Honor game that focused onthe Pacific Theater? I would like to look at some sales numbers.
Drago-Kazov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2012, 04:23 PM   #17
The Engineer
Commander
 
Location: Unknown
Re: Wars and campaigns that were largely ignored by FPS's

Drago-Kazov wrote: View Post

Which was the Medal of Honor game that focused onthe Pacific Theater? I would like to look at some sales numbers.
"World at War". It was pretty good until you got the obligatory Stalingrad mission at which point I stopped playing.
The Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2012, 04:39 PM   #18
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation
 
Alidar Jarok's Avatar
 
Location: Norfolk, VA
Re: Wars and campaigns that were largely ignored by FPS's

The Engineer wrote: View Post
He's talking about the BAR and the Thompson I think, both of which saw limited to no use in the Great War. I think a WW1 RTS could be pretty groovy. I'd love to see a Total War game based on it in fact.
Total War focuses on set battles, while World War I focused on fronts. Even the key set battle of the Western Front (Verdun, imo) lasted months and months and had the strategic objective of attrition. Other battles are named after broad fronts that stretched for miles.

Don't get me wrong, I could see a World War I strategy game (if there isn't one, I'm not sure), I just think it would be a macro-level game rather than a micro-level game. Rather than micro-managing every soldier's position and focusing on tactical maneuvering, you would manage logistics, supplies, and distribute manpower along the front then carefully plan your assaults and watch it play out.
__________________
When on Romulus, Do as the Romulans
Alidar Jarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2012, 04:51 PM   #19
The Engineer
Commander
 
Location: Unknown
Re: Wars and campaigns that were largely ignored by FPS's

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
The Engineer wrote: View Post
He's talking about the BAR and the Thompson I think, both of which saw limited to no use in the Great War. I think a WW1 RTS could be pretty groovy. I'd love to see a Total War game based on it in fact.
Total War focuses on set battles, while World War I focused on fronts. Even the key set battle of the Western Front (Verdun, imo) lasted months and months and had the strategic objective of attrition. Other battles are named after broad fronts that stretched for miles.

Don't get me wrong, I could see a World War I strategy game (if there isn't one, I'm not sure), I just think it would be a macro-level game rather than a micro-level game. Rather than micro-managing every soldier's position and focusing on tactical maneuvering, you would manage logistics, supplies, and distribute manpower along the front then carefully plan your assaults and watch it play out.
The only one I can think of is a Paradox game called "Victoria", but it's at the very tail end of the game and since it's a Paradox grand strategy game it blows.
The Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2012, 04:53 PM   #20
Retu
Lieutenant Commander
 
Location: Finland
Re: Wars and campaigns that were largely ignored by FPS's

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
I think people like WWII as a setting for video games because it has such clear heroes and villains. That kind of narrative simplicity is lacking in most wars. It's hard to find a greater real-world evil than Hitler and Nazi Germany.
I'd say that's a very western point of view. If you look at what happened in the eastern front during the WWII, lines between heroes and villains are very muddy at best.
__________________
"God runs electromagnetics by wave theory on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday,
and the Devil runs them by quantum theory on Tuesday, Thursday, and
Saturday."
-Sir William Bragg
Retu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2012, 04:55 PM   #21
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain
 
Re: Wars and campaigns that were largely ignored by FPS's

And every COD dealing with WW2 had a Soviet Campaign.
Drago-Kazov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2012, 05:01 PM   #22
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy
 
Robert Maxwell's Avatar
 
Location: A broken roof
View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell
Re: Wars and campaigns that were largely ignored by FPS's

Retu wrote: View Post
Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
I think people like WWII as a setting for video games because it has such clear heroes and villains. That kind of narrative simplicity is lacking in most wars. It's hard to find a greater real-world evil than Hitler and Nazi Germany.
I'd say that's a very western point of view. If you look at what happened in the eastern front during the WWII, lines between heroes and villains are very muddy at best.
Well, I am referring to how it is perceived in the popular consciousness. The Allies did their share of heinous things, but they were the "good guys" because the Nazis were just so, so bad. Hitler is the perfect villain, with his Holocaust and his vision of a German Reich over all of Europe (and perhaps the world.) The Allies fought for "freedom"--what higher cause could there be? The devil is, of course, in the details, but if you ignore the details, the European theater of WWII is, as I said, an extremely simple narrative.

Contrast this with WWI where you had a bunch of European monarchs throwing bodies at each other in a prolonged and pointless pissing match.
__________________
It's all false love and affection
I has a blag.
"You are one of the most unpleasant individuals I have encountered on this forum. I have no respect for you, and I doubt I ever will, since you keep insisting on being a complete and utter ass." - Timewalker
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2012, 05:12 PM   #23
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain
 
Re: Wars and campaigns that were largely ignored by FPS's

Contrast this with WWI where you had a bunch of European monarchs throwing bodies at each other in a prolonged and pointless pissing match.
If you insist on a positive narrative you could play the yanks who came to clean up the mess and had an elected leader.
Drago-Kazov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2012, 05:21 PM   #24
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation
 
Alidar Jarok's Avatar
 
Location: Norfolk, VA
Re: Wars and campaigns that were largely ignored by FPS's

The Americans tried to find a moral reason to join the war but that's because they had absolutely no reason to join except to prove that their soldiers could fight too. I think what sums up the first World War greater than anything else is the number of casualties under November 11 before 11:00 am (i.e., when everyone knew there would be a cease fire in a few hours but the world powers continued to throw troops at each other just because they could).
__________________
When on Romulus, Do as the Romulans
Alidar Jarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2012, 05:30 PM   #25
The Engineer
Commander
 
Location: Unknown
Re: Wars and campaigns that were largely ignored by FPS's

Considering the fact that Germany was essentially forced into the war due to alliances and French/Russian agression while the Americans and British joined in to show how big their dicks were...
The Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2012, 06:15 PM   #26
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain
 
Re: Wars and campaigns that were largely ignored by FPS's

Considering the fact that Germany was essentially forced into the war due to alliances and French/Russian agression while the Americans and British joined in to show how big their dicks were...
Iewas also about resources adn crushing the germans who were on their way to become equals to the englishas a naval and economic power.

The Americans tried to find a moral reason to join the war but that's because they had absolutely no reason to join except to prove that their soldiers could fight too.
Wilson was an imperialist, but it never caught on in a major way and was not embraced by the population till the end of WW2.
Drago-Kazov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2012, 06:40 PM   #27
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation
 
Alidar Jarok's Avatar
 
Location: Norfolk, VA
Re: Wars and campaigns that were largely ignored by FPS's

I disagree that Wilson was an imperialist. Racist perhaps, but his whole thing was about self-determination. He had to justify the carve up of the Ottoman Empire that he knew the French and British were going to do anyway in terms that wouldn't contradict his principle of national self-determination. Obviously, the United States never signed the treaty of Versailles, but I'm not sure if we were considering taking any territory in the Middle East anyway (we were offered the mandate of Armenia, which was eastern Turkey and the Caucasus Mountains).
__________________
When on Romulus, Do as the Romulans
Alidar Jarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2012, 06:59 PM   #28
Avon
Fleet Captain
 
Avon's Avatar
 
Location: Space Wales
Re: Wars and campaigns that were largely ignored by FPS's

i think a relentlessly depressing ww1 rpg game with some fps elements would be good. youre stuck in a trench and you only have one life. when you die the disc melts.
__________________

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Avon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2012, 07:39 PM   #29
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation
 
Alidar Jarok's Avatar
 
Location: Norfolk, VA
Re: Wars and campaigns that were largely ignored by FPS's

It'll be like Oregon trail because the likely cause of death will dysentery.
__________________
When on Romulus, Do as the Romulans
Alidar Jarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2012, 08:42 PM   #30
throwback
Captain
 
Re: Wars and campaigns that were largely ignored by FPS's

As for wars and campaigns ignored by FPS, I can add most or all of these incidents prior to 1860. There have been games set in the Civil War - which, from reading the reviews, were terrible.
throwback is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:31 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.