Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Closed Thread

Old November 27 2012, 02:37 PM   #76
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Synopsis Revealed!!

Carcazoid wrote: View Post
Some of that synopsis reads like it was written by someone who doesn't speak English very well. Has anyone seen the press release, or is it on the Paramount website?
According to all the sites posting it, it's from a Paramount press release, although I can't find the original source.
Old November 27 2012, 02:40 PM   #77
The Wormhole
Admiral

Some of that synopsis reads like it was written by someone who doesn't speak English very well. Has anyone seen the press release, or is it on the Paramount website?
That synopsis is the official Paramount press release.

Anyhoo, although not overly enthused, I'm also not against this. That plot synopsis has me in a better mood than Trek XI's did. Although this still sounds like dumb action flick, I've come to expect that from Bad Robot.

And Cumberbatch's identity still isn't revealed.
Old November 27 2012, 02:51 PM   #78
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain

bullethead wrote: View Post
Yeah, this totally sounds like "Section 31 in TOS." The only weird bit is the whole "detonated" thing - I really, really hope that they're not blowing up more ships and are going for a more "Starfleet civil war" thing.
It will be probably feature some politicians. I wonder which direction will they go.

Space Bilderbergers/P2 Lodge trying to set up a dictatorship just to have more power.

Or there is an enemy that cannot be dealt with by a democratic geovernment so some higherups think the Federation needs to be dictatorship for a while.

Considering Orci's next series it would not suprise me if we would see some False Flag Terrorism. I only sen that done well once. It was in Khakee. great movie. I only seen one movie involving False Flag Terrorism as part of the plot.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0347332/
Old November 27 2012, 03:07 PM   #79
marksound
Fleet Captain

KingDaniel wrote: View Post
According to all the sites posting it, it's from a Paramount press release, although I can't find the original source.
The Wormhole wrote: View Post

Anyhoo, although not overly enthused, I'm also not against this. That plot synopsis has me in a better mood than Trek XI's did. Although this still sounds like dumb action flick, I've come to expect that from Bad Robot.

Everyone says it's the official press release. I'm asking where the press release itself is posted, not just quoted.
Old November 27 2012, 03:38 PM   #80
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Folks are clutching at straws to make this into Gary Mitchell. It ain't.

Devon wrote: View Post
You obviously don't work for a marketing department of a studio who just threw nearly $200 Million Dollars to a film and actually want to make it back and then some.
Bingo.
Old November 27 2012, 03:48 PM   #81
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

KingDaniel wrote: View Post

Everyone says it's the official press release. I'm asking where the press release itself is posted, not just quoted.
http://thefilmstage.com/news/captain...into-darkness/

It's on their official press website, uploaded tonight. Believe me, we wouldn't post it if it wasn't legit.
I guess this "official press site" isn't accessable to us mere mortals?
Old November 27 2012, 03:49 PM   #82
CoveTom
Rear Admiral

Devon wrote: View Post
A film of two hours of doing nothing but taking scans and readings is not summer blockbuster material....
And Star Trek has never really been summer blockbuster material either. When it tries to be is when it's at its worst. That's why I maintain Star Trek's true home is on television. That's where it has the freedom to tell the stories it wants to tell. And that's where it needs to go back to.
Old November 27 2012, 03:52 PM   #83
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain

This will have more depth then the other one, guaranteed. The theme of Starfleet traitors and conspiracy is heavy stuff compared to some crazy blowing up planets.
Old November 27 2012, 04:00 PM   #84
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

CoveTom wrote: View Post
And Star Trek has never really been summer blockbuster material either. When it tries to be is when it's at its worst. That's why I maintain Star Trek's true home is on television. That's where it has the freedom to tell the stories it wants to tell. And that's where it needs to go back to.
It failed on television because the shows told the same stories in the same ways, over and over, for decades. Only a couple of million trekkies continued to care.

It's been said that "home is where, when you go there, they have to take you in." If there's any truth to that aphorism - which is, granted, tongue-in-cheek at best - then television is far from "home" for Star Trek now.

If the reception for Abrams's Star Trek so far is any indication, Trek's "home" is probably the month of May or June, every three or four years, for the foreseeable future.
Old November 27 2012, 04:13 PM   #85
Mach5
Rear Admiral

Yeah, it's Gary Mitchel allright.
Old November 27 2012, 04:43 PM   #86
Kirks_Flying_Wig
Commander

If a "dumb action flick" makes Star Trek a commercial success on the big screen, that's fine by me. The direction Abrams is taking is not my cup of tea, but I'm not hostile to it if it continues to make Star Trek profitable and gives Paramount confidence in the brand. The more new fans these films create, the more likely it is we'll see ST back on TV.
Old November 27 2012, 05:00 PM   #87
Jackson_Roykirk
Commodore

"...they find an unstoppable force of terror from within their own organization..."
"From within their own organization", hmm...

...Oh my God, it must be this:

...With shoes that cut, and eyes that burn like cigarettes
With fingernails that shine like justice and a voice that is dark like tinted glass...
Old November 27 2012, 05:01 PM   #88
Matt S
Lieutenant

Cumberpatch is a brilliant choice as the villian; it makes me excited that he's (very possibly) Gary Mitchell. If true, a big budget version of his story is, for this fan, a 100 times more interesting than seeing Kahn a 3rd time In trek. Why? well, Khan was predictable in his unpredictableness. Gary is just plain scary.

I'll say this: if it was a version of TNG story above, I'd dig it. If memory serves, TNG conveniently decided to forget about that whole arc they created for themselves....or did I forget of a follow up?
Old November 27 2012, 05:14 PM   #89
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain

They would have to make some serious twists in order to make him Mitchell considering the plot. It was probably carefully orchestrated misinformation.
Old November 27 2012, 05:15 PM   #90
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain

Matt S wrote: View Post

I'll say this: if it was a version of TNG story above, I'd dig it. If memory serves, TNG conveniently decided to forget about that whole arc they created for themselves....or did I forget of a follow up?
There is no followup, not even in the books.
Closed Thread