Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Tech

Trek Tech Pass me the quantum flux regulator, will you?

Old November 27 2012, 05:33 AM   #16
blssdwlf
Commodore

Re: Was the Ambassador Class phased out?

Did the Sovereign-class participate in any DS9 battles?
blssdwlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2012, 08:35 AM   #17
t_smitts
Commander

blssdwlf wrote: View Post
No. The only Sovereign ever seen was the big "E" and that was only seen in the three movies.

Real world reason is probably that a "hero" ship like that (which is larger than most other Starfleet ships) would stand out in fleets, rather than blending in, the way that Excelsiors, Mirandas, Nebulae, and even Galaxies do. You can't have some guest ship upstaging the Defiant!
t_smitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2012, 12:39 PM   #18
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

IIRC, the Sovereign-class' absence in DS9 was due to TPTB wanting it kept "special" (i.e. only for the TNG movies)
Old November 29 2012, 01:12 AM   #19
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore

Yes. I believe the DS9 people wanted to have one in the background or even on special occasions, but the execs wanted to keep her for the movie outings. Frankly I think it would've been just fine to see the Big-E in a shot or two, sorta like seeing the USS Galaxy in action at Chin'toka. It WOULD seem a little wierd to have Picard in a fleet commanded by Sisko, but it's not as though the hierarchy of the big fleet battles made that much sense to begin with IMO, beyond cool-lookingness.

I agree that there probably weren't that many Ambassadors built to begin with, being supposedly akin to the Galaxy's initial rareness as Starfleet's premier explorer. However, where the Galaxy may have seen increased production beyond the six that were initially planned (per Sternbach et. al.), the Ambassador may have been kept to small production runs and also to their intended duty of being deep space explorers.

I like to imagine maybe two dozen of the class being constructed in two batches (NCC-10xxx and NCC-26XXX ish, going by known registries) and spending the vast majority of their times on the periphery of Federation space and beyond. When the war rolled around, Starfleet may have recalled those Explorers within a year's travel time of the conflict, but otherwise left the guys further out on their own, perhaps at best telling them not to go out further on their planned courses into deeper space just in case they needed to be brought back. We know that Starfleet had ships up to thirty years travel time beyond Federation space (VOY "Lifeline"), and one or more of them may have been an Ambassador-class ship, tooling along and waving the flag to anyone who may want to come conquering. :P

Mark

Oh, I like that Trek thing too...
Mark_Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2012, 05:21 PM   #20
EmperorTiberius
Captain

^I agree

T'Girl wrote: View Post
Maybe they just never built very many to start with. Therefor you don't see them for the same reason you don't see the newly created Sovereign Class, at the time of the Dominion War there are only two or three of them.
This is what I mentioned on another topic. If only 6-12 were ever built (like Galaxies and Constitution), and few like Enterprise and Horatio destroyed, you woudn't have many around. When Dominion War came, they would have tried to complete Galaxies that already had frameworks built and in storage rather than go with building Amabassadors from scratch.

Last edited by EmperorTiberius; November 29 2012 at 05:39 PM.
EmperorTiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2012, 05:41 PM   #21
EmperorTiberius
Captain

t_smitts wrote: View Post
blssdwlf wrote: View Post
No. The only Sovereign ever seen was the big "E" and that was only seen in the three movies.

Real world reason is probably that a "hero" ship like that (which is larger than most other Starfleet ships) would stand out in fleets, rather than blending in, the way that Excelsiors, Mirandas, Nebulae, and even Galaxies do. You can't have some guest ship upstaging the Defiant!
I think a Sovereign class ship would blend in just fine, being that it's slightly bigger than Excelsior, but much smaller than Galaxy and Nebula.

It would have been nice to see USS Sovereign swoop past those Galors when the Galaxies did.
EmperorTiberius is offline   Reply With Quote