Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old November 26 2012, 10:08 PM   #841
Takeru
Fleet Captain

Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

MickJo1701 wrote: View Post
But this to me sums it up perfectly, there is no reason why these 2 shots should be in any way dissimilar.

Wow, the second shot looks horrible, the people who did that are hacks, period. There is absolutely no excuse for it looking so much worse, it's literally the same shot. What were they thinking?
Takeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2012, 10:12 PM   #842
MickJo1701
Commander

gaghyogi49 wrote: View Post
They used the same planet in both episodes, just like they where in SD. But Angel One did come first
MickJo1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2012, 10:21 PM   #843
raffie
Commander

The exterior shots are notably worst in quality from the CBS-D shots.

Whereas the CBS-D team took 'remain true to the original look and feel' as recreate the shots and make them look amazing while remaining true to the look of the original shot, HTV seems to have sadly understood that as 'scan in the film, done'.
raffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2012, 10:22 PM   #844
Dac
Commodore

View Dac's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dac

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/160435

I quickly pasted in the original shot (or as close as I could get from TrekCore's SD screencaps. It's a few seconds off) literally upscaled (resized) to match the HD version as closely as possible.

Sure, the original has some VHS fuzz on it, but is it me or is there sharper edges/more "realistic" contrast and overall detail (minus the fuzz of course) than the new HD version?

Most of the other shots can be explained away via preference for matching the original, but why it looks this bad is just incomprehensible to me. :S
Dac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2012, 10:28 PM   #845
raffie
Commander

Kind of looks like a first test, showing the scan without any image processing, rather than the final product to me.
raffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2012, 10:33 PM   #846
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

Well I'm going to the Season 2 event on Thursday so I guess I'll see how it looks in motion. I'm hopeful that the stills are somewhat misleading.
Old November 26 2012, 10:33 PM   #847
MickJo1701
Commander

Anyone have an opinion on this shot? It gets pointed out in the TrekCore review but as CGI replacement shots for missing model elements go its the best we've seen produced so far. I think its a good attempt, the ship looks sharp, the bussard collector and warp grilles look much better than anything HTV did with the actual model.

http://tng.trekcore.com/bluray/image...ence_probe.jpg
Old November 26 2012, 10:39 PM   #848
Tosk
Rear Admiral

I don't hate it, but it stands out very clearly as CGI...if only for the fact that a lot of the other Enterprise shots seems to be sub-par. No consistency. That planet shot a few posts above is a shocker.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2012, 10:42 PM   #849
FrontierTrek
Fleet Captain

View FrontierTrek's Twitter Profile

Anyone have an opinion on this shot? It gets pointed out in the TrekCore review but as CGI replacement shots for missing model elements go its the best we've seen produced so far. I think its a good attempt, the ship looks sharp, the bussard collector and warp grilles look much better than anything HTV did with the actual model.

http://tng.trekcore.com/bluray/image...ence_probe.jpg

It is indeed a CGI replacement - the original matte was lost, but when you see the shot in motion the compositing seemed a bit rushed: No grain, no real shadow detail or texture. Thankfully, as far as CG replacements go, it was an isolated incident in Season 2
Old November 26 2012, 10:42 PM   #850
gaghyogi49
Lieutenant Commander

They used the same planet in both episodes, just like they where in SD. But Angel One did come first
Nope, check the article, there are differences between the two planets. Just compare the two HD screenshots seen in the article.
gaghyogi49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2012, 10:54 PM   #851
MickJo1701
Commander

Nope, check the article, there are differences between the two planets. Just compare the two HD screenshots seen in the article.
Ahhh Gotcha! sharper eye than me Updated the original post too.
Old November 26 2012, 10:57 PM   #852
Jefferies
Captain

I cannot believe this is a screengrab from the actual finished product? Tell me you messed with this shot in photoshop or something like that? How dare these hacks butcher this show like this? These people had a million dollar budget and this is the result??? Is this some kind of sick joke? CBS was conned out of their money if this screenshot is for real. God how could this happen after the masterful work we saw in season 1??? They actually managed to downgrade the show from what we had on the DVDs. HTV Illuminate = Epic Fail!

I'm not sure I will be able to watch Season 2 remastered in blu ray if this is the kind of things we get to see. It will be too jarring. The DVDs might be blurry but at least they are consistant and don't rip you out of the experience by lighting up the Enterprise like a Christmas tree ornament.
Jefferies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2012, 11:14 PM   #853
Maxwell Everett
Commodore

FrontierTrek wrote: View Post

It is indeed a CGI replacement - the original matte was lost, but when you see the shot in motion the compositing seemed a bit rushed: No grain, no real shadow detail or texture. Thankfully, as far as CG replacements go, it was an isolated incident in Season 2
So this is the only one you spotted? That's good.

Now we need you to go through each episode and check the 7.1 audio to make sure each channel is discrete. Feel up to it?
Old November 26 2012, 11:27 PM   #854
davejames
Vice Admiral

Yeah I don't have a problem with the ship being more brightly lit in these shots (I really loved that look in TSFS, as seen here: http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/a...tsfshd0054.jpg) but I AM a bit perplexed at the lack of detail and sharpness in some of them.

Going back to the original source material, you'd think they'd all be as clear and sharp as can be.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2012, 11:34 PM   #855
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

LOLOLOL
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote