Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old November 26 2012, 09:23 PM   #16
The Engineer
Commander

Re: Orson Scott card's post-election rant

That's right. I always get those 2 dickbags confused.

I don't deny that the script was good, it just wasn't good for ST for the simple fact that it shat all over Roddenberry's vision. And no, I'm not a Roddenberry kool aid drinker, I think he was a monumental shitbag himself. But it would be like submitting a script, no matter how good it is, to nBSG where they break out into musical numbers from Glee. It doesn't work within the constraints of the show.
The Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2012, 09:33 PM   #17
OmahaStar
Disrespectful of his betters

View OmahaStar's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar

Misfit Toy wrote: View Post
OmahaStar wrote: View Post
captrek wrote: View Post

Is that why he posted the same thread twice?
I meant OSC. I'm not familiar with the OP up there ... though since you mentioned it, I clicked on the "more posts" linky and you're right. He posted the exact same thread in TNZ. That's an automatic warning for spam, per the board rules.
No it isn't. A thread can exist in both TNZ and Misc without penalty, since TNZ is an "opt-in" forum.
Based on this post from Neroon, it was originally posted in SF, and was moved to TNZ by a mod. SF isn't opt-in.

Though, I do wonder why the OP would post it in SF, let it get moved to TNZ, and then a full week later, post the exact same thread in Misc. Wasn't one thread enough?
Old November 26 2012, 09:51 PM   #18
TalkieToaster
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I meant OSC. I'm not familiar with the OP up there ... though since you mentioned it, I clicked on the "more posts" linky and you're right. He posted the exact same thread in TNZ. That's an automatic warning for spam, per the board rules.
No it isn't. A thread can exist in both TNZ and Misc without penalty, since TNZ is an "opt-in" forum.
Based on this post from Neroon, it was originally posted in SF, and was moved to TNZ by a mod. SF isn't opt-in.

Though, I do wonder why the OP would post it in SF, let it get moved to TNZ, and then a full week later, post the exact same thread in Misc. Wasn't one thread enough?
Sorry for the repost, but for some reason I can't access my original thread, so I thought it had been deleted. Originally it said that that thread was moved, but when I tried to access it I got a message saying I wasn't able to access the page (the same thing happened when I clicked on the Neroon post you just linked to). I'm not sure what's going on, but I'm sorry for the confusion.
TalkieToaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2012, 10:29 PM   #19
Harvey
Admiral

The Engineer wrote: View Post
But it would be like submitting a script, no matter how good it is, to nBSG where they break out into musical numbers from Glee. It doesn't work within the constraints of the show.
Roddenberry liked to claim that Ellison's teleplay marked a dramatic departure from the series format, but it just isn't true.

You can purchase the teleplay (along with Ellison's outlines and plenty of background interview) or just read about it here.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2012, 10:41 PM   #20
Captrek
Rear Admiral

TalkieToaster wrote: View Post

Sorry for the repost, but for some reason I can't access my original thread, so I thought it had been deleted. Originally it said that that thread was moved, but when I tried to access it I got a message saying I wasn't able to access the page (the same thing happened when I clicked on the Neroon post you just linked to). I'm not sure what's going on, but I'm sorry for the confusion.
Might you have closed yourself off from the TNZ group in your control panel? The thread is still here in the election sub-forum in TNZ.

Harvey wrote: View Post
The Engineer wrote: View Post
But it would be like submitting a script, no matter how good it is, to nBSG where they break out into musical numbers from Glee. It doesn't work within the constraints of the show.
Roddenberry liked to claim that Ellison's teleplay marked a dramatic departure from the series format, but it just isn't true.

You can purchase the teleplay (along with Ellison's outlines and plenty of background interview) or just read about it here.
I have read it, and I think it's excellent, but I agree with GR that his rewrite is a better fit for the series. In particular, I like the change from the drug dealer to an accidentally drugged McCoy, and I like the depiction of the Guardian in Roddenberry's version better than Ellison's. I gather that what upset Ellison the most is the ending:

I don't presume to declare which version is artistically superior, but ultimately these characters are Roddenberry's creation, he was responsible for creating a coherent, consistent portrait of them across episodes from various authors, and I think it was perfectly appropriate for him to rewrite Ellison's ending to be more consistent with his own vision of the characters.

Last edited by Captrek; November 26 2012 at 10:57 PM.
Captrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2012, 10:43 PM   #21
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral

TalkieToaster, it sounds like you haven't signed up for The Neutral Zone, the folder where those threads are located. Go to your User Control Panel and click on Group Membership in the list on the left...
Tora Ziyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2012, 11:21 PM   #22
TalkieToaster
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Tora Ziyal wrote: View Post
TalkieToaster, it sounds like you haven't signed up for The Neutral Zone, the folder where those threads are located. Go to your User Control Panel and click on Group Membership in the list on the left...
Thanks for letting me know. I just signed up for it, sorry for not knowing earlier and causing confusion.
TalkieToaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2012, 11:32 PM   #23
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral

You're welcome.

I was just reading this article in The Onion, and it made me think of OSC and the whole website where his article was.
Tora Ziyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2012, 11:47 PM   #24
thumbtack
Commodore

What's amusing is that Lionsgate and Orci/Kurtzman, who were only recently made aware of Card's mental health, are now desperately scrambling to find a way to keep him away from tv cameras during the Ender's Game marketing.
Old November 26 2012, 11:55 PM   #25
Harvey
Admiral

Is there any reporting on that? Card has a voice-over cameo in the film, and has praised it in an interview, despite departures from the source material.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote