Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old November 26 2012, 02:42 PM   #16
Relayer1
Commodore

Re: New Frontier?

A novel bringing it back into the novel continuity would be good. That way it can be folded into the ongoing arcs and used like the Aventine. It wouldn't rule out the occasional solo novel either, though probably not by Peter David...
Old November 26 2012, 03:58 PM   #17
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Peter David is New Frontier. It's not like Voyager or Enterprise, writers carrying on the tradition of a TV show. It's his 20ish book strong corner of the Trekverse. Other authors can include his characters in cameos or mentions (Gateways, Q + A, Destiny etc) but another coming in and taking over his series, characters and plotlines just seems wrong.

Unless of course it was done with Peter's blessing.
Old November 26 2012, 04:11 PM   #18
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Daddy Todd wrote: View Post
ryan123450 wrote: View Post
WE WANT ONE LAST NEW FRONTIER NOVEL! WE WANT ONE LAST NEW FRONTIER NOVEL! WE WANT ONE LAST NEW FRONTIER NOVEL! Come on Ed! We're chanting outside your window. Give in to our pleas!
There may be just as many who DON'T want another New Frontier
Then they should just not buy the book, seriously what is with people and the whole I don't like it so it should end mentality. If you don't like it DON'T BUY IT, and let people who do like it enjoy it.

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
There can be a Mackenzie Calhoun and an Excalibur in the Novelverse, but they may not be exactly the same as PAD's Calhoun and Excalibur.
Except Calhoun and the Excalibur show up in Before Dishonor which is part of the Novelverse continuity and was written by PAD so they are PAD's Calhoun and Excalibur
Hartzilla2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2012, 04:19 PM   #19
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post

Then they should just not buy the book, seriously what is with people and the whole I don't like it so it should end mentality. If you don't like it DON'T BUY IT, and let people who do like it enjoy it.
I guess it's because it takes a publishing slot from a book they may be more willing to buy.

Last edited by BillJ; November 26 2012 at 04:37 PM.
BillJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2012, 04:58 PM   #20
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

There can be a Mackenzie Calhoun and an Excalibur in the Novelverse, but they may not be exactly the same as PAD's Calhoun and Excalibur.
Except Calhoun and the Excalibur show up in Before Dishonor which is part of the Novelverse continuity and was written by PAD so they are PAD's Calhoun and Excalibur
Which is why I said there are times that the bubbles intersect. PAD's bubble intersected with the Novelverse bubble in Before Dishonor.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2012, 05:56 PM   #21
Relayer1
Commodore

PAD has done some great Trek in the past, but the consensus seems to be that NF is past its best (I can't say - I haven't read the last few).

I'd kind of like to see someone else pick it up...

Last edited by Relayer1; November 27 2012 at 12:44 PM. Reason: spelling
Relayer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2012, 06:24 PM   #22
MatthiasRussell
Fleet Captain

Which is why I said there are times that the bubbles intersect. PAD's bubble intersected with the Novelverse bubble in Before Dishonor.
They also insected in Destiny where it is mentioned that Calhoun and the Excalibur fought off the Borg during the invasion.

PAD effectively killed off Nechayev (or someone posing as her in Blind Man's Bluff) but then she has been mentioned in recent David Mack books. So there appears to be a conflict there but perhpas the real Nechayev was found and restored?

I don't think New Frontier has had any major continuity issues. Since it mainly stays of in a sector alone conflicts don't arrise much. For BMB, PAD had to make some pre publishing changes such as removing Seven's Borg elements but I see no major conflicts.

PAD will be in Seattle in March. I intend to ask him his thoughts about continuing the series.

I don't know how the other writers feel about New Frontier but several contributed to the anthology. David Mack wrote an excellent Zak Kebron piece in there; he seems to understand the characters when he has written them.
Old November 26 2012, 08:08 PM   #23
Tom Riker
Lieutenant

MatthiasRussell wrote: View Post
They also insected in Destiny where it is mentioned that Calhoun and the Excalibur fought off the Borg during the invasion.

PAD effectively killed off Nechayev (or someone posing as her in Blind Man's Bluff) but then she has been mentioned in recent David Mack books. So there appears to be a conflict there but perhpas the real Nechayev was found and restored?

I don't think New Frontier has had any major continuity issues. Since it mainly stays of in a sector alone conflicts don't arrise much. For BMB, PAD had to make some pre publishing changes such as removing Seven's Borg elements but I see no major conflicts.

PAD will be in Seattle in March. I intend to ask him his thoughts about continuing the series.

I don't know how the other writers feel about New Frontier but several contributed to the anthology. David Mack wrote an excellent Zak Kebron piece in there; he seems to understand the characters when he has written them.
I heard an interview on the Sci fi diner podcast a few months back. he came across as an arrogant prick, just correcting the interviewers grammar and sort of ridiculing his questions. Really turned me off of him.

New Frontier's way to cartoony for me, glad it's loss has freed up the schedule for good trek books.
Tom Riker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2012, 08:34 PM   #24
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

MatthiasRussell wrote: View Post
He has already blogged about the issue. He's always busy, but would write more NF if asked. He has no current contract with Pocket/Gallery, Ed S. hasn't invited him to pitch and PAD hasn't been sitting around with nothing to do, so he's waiting to hear from Ed rather than pursuing him. IIRC.

We realize that you do not own the "New Frontier" saga, but that little factoid aside, do you have an end game in mind for Calhoun and the Excalibur? Are you ultimately building to something and one day planning to wrap it all up?

David: I do have thoughts as to how I’d wrap up the series if given the opportunity. I also have a lot of interesting directions I’d take the books if the series keeps going. But I honestly have no clue if that’s going to come to pass. “Blind Man’s Bluff” was the last book on my current contract, and I’ve been asking Pocket for a year if the series is going to be continuing. I have yet to get a straight answer, or any answer. So for all I know, “Blind Man’s Bluff” is the last hurrah of New Frontier.
http://www.peterdavid.net/2011/04/25/blind-mans-bluff/
Therin of Andor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2012, 09:09 PM   #25
shanejayell
Captain

I find myself increasingly dubious about the editorial guidence Trek has been getting.
Old November 26 2012, 09:16 PM   #26
Relayer1
Commodore

shanejayell wrote: View Post
I find myself increasingly dubious about the editorial guidence Trek has been getting.
We are lucky to have so many good writers...
Old November 27 2012, 03:11 AM   #27
ryan123450
Commodore

View ryan123450's Twitter Profile

I hate to say it, but I think I agree. At the very least it's a step down from Marco's amazing tenure.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
ryan123450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2012, 05:53 AM   #28
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

I hate to say it, but I think I agree. At the very least it's a step down from Marco's amazing tenure.
Yeah, especially since the books seem (to me at least) to be going back the Richard Arnold days. Not to mention the universe seems to be shrinking and mostly focusing on the TV series.
Hartzilla2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2012, 11:03 AM   #29
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

At the very least it's a step down from Marco's amazing tenure.
Well, Marco and Margaret were let go because they were Senior Editors, IIRC, and Ed S. isn't.

especially since the books seem (to me at least) to be going back the Richard Arnold days.
How? During the tightest of Richard's tenure (and he was only there from 1986-91) there was no interconnectivity between novels at all. He probably would have fought hard to discourage families for the Picards and the Rikers, the return of Arex and M'Ress to "New Frontier", promotions/changes for Dax, Sisko, Ro and Kira, and the death and resurrection of Janeway. I don't understand what "going back" you are talking about.
Therin of Andor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2012, 04:27 PM   #30
MatthiasRussell
Fleet Captain

Tom Riker wrote: View Post
New Frontier's way to cartoony for me, glad it's loss has freed up the schedule for good trek books.
To each his own. But consider how "cartoony" many episodes of Star Trek were. Sometimes it is nice to have light-hearted and/or beyond belief story lines.