Insight Editions Announces Three Trek Books For 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old November 25 2012, 11:56 AM   #1
TrekAlliance92
Captain

Just Watched for 1st Time Ever!

Hello all!

I'm a long time Star Trek fan (I love all of the series) and since Enterprise ended, I've been hoping for some upbeat, fun series to watch--especially in sci-fi or fantasy. I've found some great ones in animation (Clone Wars, Avengers: Earth's Mightest Heroes and the awesome My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic), but some friends of mine recommended Doctor Who as a series I'd like.

So, today, I watched "Rose" (starring Christopher Eccleston) of the most modern series...and I think I'm really going to enjoy it!

It struck a very fun chord with me. Living plastic using mannequins to take over the world? Time travel? A spaceship (?) that is bigger on the inside than the outside? Over-the-top reactions from citizens to "monsters?" Yes, please.

I also liked the line about humanity's potential for "so much more." Any pro-humanity vibe in TV is rare, and I relish it.

The actors are good, with some funny banter. And, the special effects kind of have the Power Rangers charm of being taken seriously, but not being big-budget. I particularly like the score in the episode as well.

I'm definitely going to keep watching, and if you guys don't mind, I'll post my reactions throughout here.

To be clear, this is the very first of any Doctor Who I've ever seen. But, it definitely won't be the last.
TrekAlliance92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2012, 12:18 PM   #2
MacLeod
Admiral

Re: Just Watched for 1st Time Ever!

Welcome to the grand-daddy of TV Sci-Fi shows, that have kept kids (and adults) entertained in the UK for generations.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2012, 12:23 PM   #3
Takeru
Fleet Captain

TrekAlliance92 wrote: View Post
I'm definitely going to keep watching, and if you guys don't mind, I'll post my reactions throughout here.
Yea, please do that! I love reading first time viewers reactions.
Takeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2012, 03:14 PM   #4
Mr Light
Admiral

I just saw "Rose" the other day and the special effects get a LOT better they don't usually look that dodgy! And the first two parter is not representative of the series

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2012, 04:00 PM   #5
Lonemagpie
Writer

Rose is a great jumping-on point. not the best story, but very good at doing what it set out to do.

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2012, 03:58 AM   #6
BruntFCA
Commander

I just started watching NuWho for the first time a month or so ago and you are in for a great ride. I have just started series 5 and there was only one episode from the RTD era that I didn't like.
Old November 26 2012, 04:18 AM   #7
Itisnotlogical
Commodore

If you're going to watch any episode out-of-order, may I recommend "Dalek"? One of my absolute favorites in season 1, it sold me on the entire series. Just don't read the episode description on Netflix. Never, ever read those, sometimes they can spoil a good 3/4's of an episode.
"Good grief. You guys sure know how to make something out of nothing. And then take sides about whether or not it's nothing, and then change your minds and discuss why you thought it was something." - Kestra
Itisnotlogical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2012, 11:44 AM   #8
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Also, do yourself a favor and avoid the ""Next Time..." trailer at the end of "Boom Town" (episode 11). Someone at the BBC decided to completely spoil the baddie in the season finale.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2012, 02:02 PM   #9
Lonemagpie
Writer

Cutter John wrote: View Post
Also, do yourself a favor and avoid the ""Next Time..." trailer at the end of "Boom Town" (episode 11). Someone at the BBC decided to completely spoil the baddie in the season finale.
Or in fact save yourself and skip Boom Town...

Oh, the Next Time trailer at the end of Fear Her also spoilers the big twist in season 2's 2-part finale, so you might want to skip that too when time comes. (or indeed the episode, again)

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2012, 02:06 PM   #10
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

Lonemagpie wrote: View Post

Oh, the Next Time trailer at the end of Fear Her also spoilers the big twist in season 2's 2-part finale, so you might want to skip that too when time comes. (or indeed the episode, again)
Alternatively, maybe we should all keep an open mind, accept the possibility that different people like different things and try not to poison the well, as tempting as that may be.
Old November 26 2012, 02:17 PM   #11
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Cutter John wrote: View Post
Its not a classic, but worth watching once. It was nice seeing the Doctor and companions paling around in the Tardis, and I rather enjoyed the silly scene in the restaurant. Doesn't it also introduce the time rift?
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."

Last edited by Cutter John; November 26 2012 at 09:24 PM.
Old November 26 2012, 02:45 PM   #12
shivkala
Rear Admiral

^
Technically, a previous episode introduced it, but it did establish it in modern times.

I, too, started with "Rose," but back when Sci-Fi first aired it back in 2006. Six years later and I'm still in love with the show!
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2012, 12:49 PM   #13
Itisnotlogical
Commodore

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post

Alternatively, maybe we should all keep an open mind, accept the possibility that different people like different things and try not to poison the well, as tempting as that may be.
+1, I actually rather liked Fear Her. Not the best episode of Season 2, but not worth skipping.
"Good grief. You guys sure know how to make something out of nothing. And then take sides about whether or not it's nothing, and then change your minds and discuss why you thought it was something." - Kestra
Itisnotlogical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2012, 10:42 PM   #14
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Both Fear Her, and The Idiots Lantern fall into the same category as classic Who's Underworld. Even after watching you barely remember anything about them.
Old November 28 2012, 12:14 PM   #15
Australis
Writer

These threads are fun in that they remind us exactly why we liked the show the first time around.
"… Times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."
Australis is offline   Reply With Quote