Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Closed Thread

Old November 26 2012, 08:15 AM   #526
Sheep
Vice Admiral

Re: NFL 2012 - Drive to Glory

the 4th hanson bro wrote: View Post
Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
So, anyone want to comment on Ray Rice's run?
That wasn't so much a run as a clinic on how not to tackle or even play defense. Pee-wee coaches will be showing that clip for years.
The Benny Hill theme has never seemed more appropriate.
Old November 26 2012, 09:02 AM   #527
Pegaritaville
Vice Admiral

I'm so glad I resisted the urge to tease Vikings fans- made living with the debacle of the Packers game a little less humiliating. Wish I had the skill to do a Timby rant right now- the Packers sucked in every possible way.

On the plus side, I was playing against the Packers defense in the TrekBBS league and they scored -6 points. Secured my win.
Old November 26 2012, 12:03 PM   #528
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

I'm not sure if that one or Marshawn Lynch's from last year was more hilariously awesome, but I'm going with Ray Rice today.
Old November 26 2012, 04:06 PM   #529
Neroon
Mod of balance

Kestrel wrote: View Post
I'm not sure if that one or Marshawn Lynch's from last year was more hilariously awesome, but I'm going with Ray Rice today.
Considering it came on ... 4th and 29 ... and 3 pts behind with a minute and 1/2 left..... (shakes head).
- Proverbs 12:20
Old November 26 2012, 04:17 PM   #530
the 4th Hanson bro
I shot my eye out!

archeryguy1701 wrote: View Post
Denver seriously benefitted from playing the Chiefs today... if they had gone up against any real team, Denver would have gotten themselves torn a new asshole. Fortuantely, the Chiefs seem to have an endzone allergy, which let the Broncos survive a pretty ugly offensive outing.
The defensive outing wasn't much better. Until KC stopped running the ball because it was working so well for them, the Broncos were having a lot of trouble tackling anybody. Not Chargers bad, but still bad.

1001001 wrote: View Post
This may just be the vodka talking, but after the Rams' glorious victory today I'm ready to declare the Super Bowl ours for the taking.
Don't you know to not listen to the vodka?

Starbreaker wrote: View Post
What he's telling him is, "I tied your shoe for you, now fucking block someone!"
Old November 26 2012, 07:18 PM   #531
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

the 4th hanson bro wrote: View Post
1001001 wrote: View Post
This may just be the vodka talking, but after the Rams' glorious victory today I'm ready to declare the Super Bowl ours for the taking.
Don't you know to not listen to the vodka?
But vodka gives so much, and asks so little...

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
Old November 26 2012, 08:52 PM   #532
The Engineer
Commander

I'm shocked the Bucs didn't get blown out by the Falcons. Either the Bucs are pretty damned good this year for a young team or the Falcons are overrated.
Old November 27 2012, 12:52 AM   #533
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

The Bucs haven't been beaten by more than 7 points all year. They're a pretty good team.
Old November 27 2012, 05:56 AM   #534
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

So the Phillies still have won more recently than the Eagles.
Old November 27 2012, 08:16 PM   #535
Sheep
Vice Admiral

The Engineer wrote: View Post
I'm shocked the Bucs didn't get blown out by the Falcons. Either the Bucs are pretty damned good this year for a young team or the Falcons are overrated.
Both are true, IMO.

As for the Eagles, their inability to win at home against a lousy Carolina team cost me my weekly confidence pool. I saw Panthers/Eagles and automatically assumed the Eagles would annihilate the Panthers at home...wrong. I was 14-2, getting only the Seachickens and Eagles wrong; unfortunately I dumped a lot of points into the Seachickens game.
Old November 29 2012, 06:28 AM   #536
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

Looks like they're going to let Kaepernick's streak ride this week. If he wins this week that'll be three in a row(not including the game he replaced Smith in), better than any other Niners QB's opening streak in some 30 or 40ish years.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Old November 29 2012, 07:01 AM   #537
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

I really do feel bad for Alex. With all the crap he's taken his entire career, I'm really surprised he's not pissed off about this. I do think Kaepernick is the right choice (More aggressive, might get the 49ers over that hump) but man I am tired of seeing Smith get shit on.
Old November 29 2012, 07:22 AM   #538
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

I give Smith all the credit in the world for soldiering on, and he's made some improvements in his game, but even if he didn't have the whole "seven offensive coordinators in seven years" thing hanging over him, it wouldn't change the fact that he's basically only capable of a limited number of throws from about 15 yards in. It's easy to say that Smith has been having a phenomenal season, numbers-wise, but that's traditional numbers based upon having a running game, run-blocking offensive line (Oh, God, imagine Cutler behind that line), and coaching staff that's superior to everyone else in a passing-oriented league. His advanced numbers only take some of that context out and they drop him into the average to slightly above average (12th in DYAR, 20th in WPA, 15th in PFF player grade, and so on). Using some common sense for team context drops him even further.

I do wonder what he'd be if he hadn't suffered that shoulder injury.

In any event, look at it this way: Smith is going to get cut (no one will trade anything substantial for the last two years of that contract) and the dude is gonna get paid, considering how many teams are desperate for quarterbacks. Look at the paydays that Matt Cassel and Kevin Kolb are getting, for Christ's sake.
Old November 29 2012, 07:38 AM   #539
archeryguy1701
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to archeryguy1701

Even though Smith is getting a fairly raw deal right now, Harbaugh actually did him a huge favor by giving him another chance. Smith is going to be able to go out onto the market with the world seeing that, while he won't exactly set the world on fire, he can play quality, efficient football. There will be a team out there that needs a starter or someone to compete for the starting job, and the last season and a half have likely helped turn Smith into a viable candidate for that instead of being forever doomed to the role of second-rate backup.

Edit- And Timby pretty well beat me to the punch on that.

Sometimes you just gotta roll the hard six- Bill Adama
Old November 29 2012, 05:02 PM   #540
tighr
Commodore

Timby wrote: View Post
In any event, look at it this way: Smith is going to get cut (no one will trade anything substantial for the last two years of that contract) and the dude is gonna get paid, considering how many teams are desperate for quarterbacks. Look at the paydays that Matt Cassel and Kevin Kolb are getting, for Christ's sake.
Who's desperate for quarterbacks of Alex Smith's caliber this year (especially teams that weren't interested in Alex Smith LAST year)?

Just looking at the teams that have poor quarterback play: Arizona didn't want Smith last year. Miami is set with Tannehill. The Jets are stupidly set with Sanchez/Tebow (all while Greg McElroy sits 3rd string and wasn't even on the active roster on Thanksgiving... stupid Jets). Cassel as you say is set.

I just don't see another team wanting Alex Smith for a starting role.