Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old November 21 2012, 08:57 AM   #31
Jim Steele
Vice Admiral

Re: Wii U launches on November 18th

Kelthaz wrote: View Post
Jim Steele wrote: View Post
Never nunderestimate Nintendo. They only time they ever "failed" was when they tried to compete directly with the competition with the Gamecube.
How quickly one forgets the Virtual Boy. That thing caused more people to go blind than cataracts.
Oh yeah. Well... that's two. And I hardly think the Virtual Boy is any kind of yardstick

---------------------------------

Turns out the Wii U starts making a profit for Ninty with just one game sale.

That's not bad going for a new machine, opening salvo of a new console generation no less.

Last edited by Jim Steele; November 21 2012 at 12:52 PM.
Jim Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2012, 02:49 PM   #32
TemporalFlux
Commodore

Yeah; these things aren't selling. I went to a few Wal-Marts over the past couple of days, and they had plenty of them. With Wii, you were having trouble finding one of those for years.

Really, this whole thing feels a bit like Sega CD to me. It's really a kind of half step to a new generation of system.
TemporalFlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2012, 03:52 PM   #33
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

And not long after the major losses and failure of the 3DS, they really don't need to be losing any more money or sales at this point. If the Wii U fails over the holiday period into the new year Nintendo are going to be in one very bad financial situation.
Old November 23 2012, 08:13 PM   #34
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Yeah, the way I see it is that in addition to what I've said earlier in the thread, the casual crowd which was a huge segment of Wii users and helped make it such a huge success are likely comfortable staying with the Wii. Nintendo hasn't really given that crowd a good incentive to upgrade beyond HD and better graphics, so why would they upgrade, especially when they're things they very likely don't care about? And the added layer of complexity vs the simplicity of the Wii? Nintendo have themselves in an interesting dilemma, and that doesn't even count the price.

I think one of the main reasons for why the Wii doing so well was that it was priced just right. Anyone with curiosity would be able to pick one up, if they could find one on the shelves. I expect that people are balking at the price of the Wii U, leading to a less than enthusiastic adoption rate. I don't think anything can change now, but as I've said earlier in the thread, I think they could have made the pad optional, maybe a bundle with a game that requires it, which would have made it possible for the price to be more reasonable, but as it is, I think it's too tied to the system itself.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2012, 09:47 AM   #35
Rincewiend
Vice Admiral

Bob The Skutter wrote: View Post
Owain Taggart wrote: View Post
With the storage space being so low, it's a wonder why they aren't storing save files in a cloud. Save the files temporarily on the drive, upload them when you quit the game, then retrieve them when the game starts up again. Only problem is connectivity, so I'd be making it an option.
They're apparently going to launch that in the future but it's not available any time soon. Though the idea is you can stick your own hard drive on up to 2tb. Though you'd probably have to work hard to get 27gb of saves on the premium version. Even 3.7gb of saves would be a lot. Don't think I have 3.7gb of saves on my Xbox after 6 years.
depends on the games one plays...
If you play Rock Band and use DLC, you need the extra space...
But then again, you would be better of with a PS3/XBOX360 for games like that...
Old November 26 2012, 10:14 AM   #36
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile

If you need space for DLC you can buy an external hard drive. My point was saves are usually no more than a couple of meg and it would take a long time to amass 3.7gb never mind 27gb of saves.
Old November 26 2012, 11:51 AM   #37
Jim Steele
Vice Admiral

^ Does the USB hard drive support actually let you do that though? As far as I was aware it was treated as backup, ie if you wanted to run anything off it you'd have to transfer it to internal memory.

Which is, y'know, ridiculous. But Nintendo generally are fucking ridiculous when it comes to that kind of thing.
Old November 26 2012, 11:54 AM   #38
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

^ Does the USB hard drive support actually let you do that though? As far as I was aware it was treated as backup, ie if you wanted to run anything off it you'd have to transfer it to internal memory.

Which is, y'know, ridiculous. But Nintendo generally are fucking ridiculous when it comes to that kind of thing.
From what I've read it seems Mains Powered USB drives work to run the games off, USB flash drives, SD Cards and self powered USB work the way you mention.
Old November 26 2012, 06:48 PM   #39
Jim Steele
Vice Admiral

That's a bit mental. I wonder how it knows? (or why it cares :S)
Old November 26 2012, 06:55 PM   #40
FPAlpha
Vice Admiral

It's an interesting concept but i'll wait until there's more games and most importantly what kind of games.

I'm absolutely no Mario or Zelda fan so Nintendo has a hard time getting my interest (especially now that the next gen consoles like Xbox 720 may come out around Christmas next year).
FPAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2012, 06:57 PM   #41
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

I think it's sustained transfer speeds and powered drives don't idle as quickly which, I guess, would do nasty things to the access and load times. But that's my guess and not official.
Old November 26 2012, 10:39 PM   #42
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

That's a bit mental. I wonder how it knows? (or why it cares :S)
Technically speaking, it is easy for an operating system to determine what type of disk it is looking at, based on the information provided by the device's built-in registers. Different drivers are used for each type, too, since they need to be handled in different ways for reads/writes.
Old December 1 2012, 11:29 PM   #43
indianatrekker26
Captain

my wife and i picked up a wii u last night, along with new super mario bros. u. and we are loving the system. i thought i'd hate the tablet pad, but its really grown on me. what's more, i love all the social networking the thing can do. i can talk to others playing mario u online as i'm playing it. you can leave messages in the game, all sorts of neat stuff. also, i love being able to play the game on just the tablet, if my wife wants to watch tv on the big screen in the living room.
indianatrekker26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2012, 04:17 AM   #44
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

I'm really interested in that ZombiU or whatever game but it's hard to justify getting a system for one game. I'm trying to remember though, I may have done that for Res 4 on the GameCube but I think it was $99 bucks at the time.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2012, 04:41 PM   #45
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

I played NintendoLand with 3 other people over the weekend. That was quite a bit of fun, although I'm not gonna pay $350 for it.