Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old November 20 2012, 08:21 PM   #16
Minuet
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Should TNG have had different Star Fleet uniforms?

sbk1234 wrote: View Post
In a real military, there is a WIDE VARIETY of different uniforms in use at any one time. It would be interesting to see this variety. The only time we saw anything remotely like this was in Generations.
Not entirely true. The variety of uniforms in The Motion Picture approaches what you're talking about. Granted, the color palette was terrible, but you have to admit there was a little something for everyone. I especially liked the collared t-shirt variants. If they had kept the color scheme of the original show, it would have been perfect.

I always appreciated the idea of having a military structure in Star Trek, yet having a somewhat relaxed, utopian quality to it all. There's a command structure, but people can still relax and wear comfortable clothes, hang out in the arboretum, go to the recreation deck, kick back in bean bags, whatever (not that there were bean bags in Star Trek, but I would totally have replicated a few for my quarters, because bean bags are totally awesome).

The Wrath of Khan is obviously a great Star Trek film, but I feel like things got too far into a strict military structure than I would have wanted. TNG got it just right--that was the original aim of ST: Phase II, and that's precisely how I envision the "military" of the future being like. TMP actually appeared to try and approach what TNG perfected, and I liked that too.
Minuet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2012, 08:25 PM   #17
sbk1234
Rear Admiral

Right, I did forget TMP with ALL THOSE UNIFORMS!

"It's a fucking TV show!" - Gary Lockwood
sbk1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2012, 08:38 PM   #18
Minuet
Lieutenant Commander

lol, it was almost like there weren't any rules in TMP.

Casual Friday on the Enterprise, every day!
Old November 20 2012, 08:39 PM   #19
sbk1234
Rear Admiral

Maybe it just happened to take place on a Friday.

Old November 20 2012, 09:05 PM   #20
Minuet
Lieutenant Commander

Last edited by Minuet; November 20 2012 at 09:26 PM.
Old November 20 2012, 09:39 PM   #21
Squiggy
LORD SHIT SUPREME

View Squiggy's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Squiggy

In a real military, there is a WIDE VARIETY of different uniforms in use at any one time. It would be interesting to see this variety. The only time we saw anything remotely like this was in Generations.
Not really.

The US Army has 3 standard uniforms. The A (uniform with jacket), B (uniform, no jacket) and the ACU (camoflage)

Then you have assorted jump and flight suits. And it isn't as if you can pick whichever uniform you want for the day. Base commanders usually decide which uniform will be worn, and that depends on the type of work involved. Most bases go with the camos while the Pentagon - along with more clerical personnel - goes with either the A or B depending on the weather.
Old November 20 2012, 09:46 PM   #22
Minuet
Lieutenant Commander

Squiggy wrote: View Post
Not really.

The US Army has 3 standard uniforms. The A (uniform with jacket), B (uniform, no jacket) and the ACU (camoflage)

Then you have assorted jump and flight suits. And it isn't as if you can pick whichever uniform you want for the day. Base commanders usually decide which uniform will be worn, and that depends on the type of work involved. Most bases go with the camos while the Pentagon - along with more clerical personnel - goes with either the A or B depending on the weather.
And this is why I love Star Trek's vision of the future so much--in the sense that it separates itself from today's military by being more lax, while still having a strong chain of command. These are exploratory vessels (for the most part). This is humanity. This isn't all brute force and explosions. Starfleet has to show the rest of the universe what humanity is like, individuality and all, and the military of Trek's future exemplifies that ideal.
Old November 21 2012, 04:49 AM   #23
Surak of Vulcan
Ensign

The TWOK-onward uniforms for sure. Something about them screams professionalism and they just look awesome. Those are my favorite uniforms followed by the First Contact ones.

Don't get me wrong, I liked the S3-S7 uniforms a whole lol. They were a huge step up from the spandex ones from S1-S2. They looked more practical and were certainly better on the actors.
Old November 23 2012, 10:47 PM   #24
Arpy
Rear Admiral

I figured they didn't need variety because technology advanced to the point where the formal uniforms felt just as comfortable as the informal ones, making them look stylish as well as comfortable.
Arpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2012, 10:50 PM   #25
Arpy
Rear Admiral

Pressmen never looked comfortable in the "new" admirals uniform. Plus it looked out of sync with the others of the time. The earlier ones were the period's best fit.
Arpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2012, 10:58 PM   #26
SoM
Commander

Did anyone else think the late-DS9/TNG movie dress uniforms (white/grey jacket with gold piping, black trousers) were really, really ugly?

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
According to Robert Beltran and Garrett Wang, the early DS9/VOY uniforms were even more uncomfortable to wear.
Were they lined with sackcloth or something? A long-sleeved T-shirt, trousers and a jacket certainly doesn't LOOK uncomfortable!
SoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2012, 11:07 PM   #27
sbk1234
Rear Admiral

SoM wrote: View Post
Did anyone else think the late-DS9/TNG movie dress uniforms (white/grey jacket with gold piping, black trousers) were really, really ugly?

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
According to Robert Beltran and Garrett Wang, the early DS9/VOY uniforms were even more uncomfortable to wear.
Were they lined with sackcloth or something? A long-sleeved T-shirt, trousers and a jacket certainly doesn't LOOK uncomfortable!
I didn't find them ugly, but I feel they look too much like a 21st Century tuxedo.

Old November 26 2012, 10:41 AM   #28
Vanyel
The Imperious Leader

Actually, the jump suits used in Enterprise seemed to be a lot more comfortable and functional. I know Gene said no pockets or zippers, but pockets are one of the greatest advancement in clothing. Zippers I can see as being out dated since by then they could have some type of space Velcro that allows a seamless look to the uniforms.

The white dress uniforms were ugly in my opinion. I would have liked something similar to the uniforms from TWoK to be dress uniforms, with medals or pins on the chest. Rank pips could be on each shoulder, and like in TWoK the overall color would be red, with the undershirts collar having the coloring for their department. Or if no colors on the collar, than some symbol to designate department, like Medical with a Caduceus before or after the rank pips. Yes I know the dress uniform I'm envisioning is getting rather complicated and crowded.

The TWoK uniforms did look more like dress uniforms than duty uniforms.
Imogene, get serious! Who do you think you're talking to?! I've known you for 27 years, and all I can say is, if God was giving out sexually transmitted diseases to people as a punishment for sinning, then you would be at the free clinic all the time! And so would the rest of us!
--Julia Sugarbaker
Vanyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2012, 09:03 PM   #29
Minuet
Lieutenant Commander

Vanyel wrote: View Post
Actually, the jump suits used in Enterprise seemed to be a lot more comfortable and functional. I know Gene said no pockets or zippers, but pockets are one of the greatest advancement in clothing. Zippers I can see as being out dated since by then they could have some type of space Velcro that allows a seamless look to the uniforms.
It's conceivable that they still used zippers in the 22nd century. Gene Roddenberry was referring to the 23rd century and beyond when he made those rules. Enterprise was deliberately a more primitive show that showed more of a transitional phase between our society and TOS. This is evident from the fact that people still wear neckties.