Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old October 31 2012, 05:59 PM   #31
sunburn800
Lieutenant Commander

Send a message via Yahoo to sunburn800
Re: The Micro Machine sets

No sorry i never did find that set there a few others that were limited 3 packs i missed too. if i ever find any of these sets i'm going to use shape ways to make a few copies.
sunburn800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2012, 03:18 PM   #32
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

The elusive Micro Machines Set III by Therin of Andor, on Flickr

Micro Machines Set III - back by Therin of Andor, on Flickr

Micro Machines - Rare sets containing a few Voyager ships not in the collector sets by Therin of Andor, on Flickr
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2012, 03:59 PM   #33
Brannigan
Commander

Wow I had all of these. I still have the ships, but sadly not the boxes. I do have (still in box) the Excelsior with registration NX-2000. Does anyone know how rare this is?
Old November 2 2012, 04:47 PM   #34
backstept
Rear Admiral

View backstept's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to backstept Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to backstept

I had a few of the 3 ship sets, but since I was 12 at the time I ended up kitbashing them . . . my HMS bounty lost the wings, I misplaced the lower half of my 1701D, my Farragut's sensor wing went missing, my 1701B broke in half etc
I think I threw away my kazon ship away because I thought it looked like a potato
Old November 2 2012, 09:09 PM   #35
t_smitts
Commander

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
Notice the Cardassian ship's upside down.

backstept wrote: View Post
I had a few of the 3 ship sets, but since I was 12 at the time I ended up kitbashing them . . . my HMS bounty lost the wings, I misplaced the lower half of my 1701D, my Farragut's sensor wing went missing, my 1701B broke in half etc
I think I threw away my kazon ship away because I thought it looked like a potato
You threw a Micro Machine away???

I was pretty young when I got the first Star Trek and Star Wars box set, so some of them ended up in rough shape. Pretty much anything with a saucer section ended up breaking. Set II is in much better shape, but some of the them were pretty shoddy to begin with.
t_smitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2012, 12:17 AM   #36
sunburn800
Lieutenant Commander

I stand corrected i do have all of the big sets just not the 3 packs you had there.
Old November 3 2012, 12:21 AM   #37
sunburn800
Lieutenant Commander

I could dig these out of boxs and take pictures if anyone wanted to see them out of the packages. but i can't until next week some time, it will take a while to find them.
Old November 3 2012, 01:03 AM   #38
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

t_smitts wrote: View Post
Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
Notice the Cardassian ship's upside down.
That's only because the wire tag is detached inside the packaging and I bounced the wayward ship into place for the pic. Just your luck that it ended up anywhere near the right place!

I had stopped buying all the three-packs when the second and third boxed sets (w/ bonus new ships) were announced, but then I had to scurry and track these last two packs when I heard they included a few ships not in the sets.

Normally I'm an "opener", but I figured these needed to stay sealed, 'cos I'm not really much of a ship collector.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2012, 08:14 AM   #39
t_smitts
Commander

This discussion thread's gotten me checking out sets on ebay. I actually just casually bid on a Set II a couple of weeks back for a pretty low price, assuming I'd be outbid and not really caring that much, but I got it. Yay? Anyway, it just arrived today.

I haven't pulled them all out from under that plastic wiring yet, but it's interesting to compare ships from my old Set II with the new one.

For one thing the saucer-separating "D" in this new set looks MUCH better. The paint for the top phaser ring on my old one was completely off and the "neck" was only half attached. This new one doesn't have either problem. The 3-nacelled Enterprise is a bit less bent too.

The new Pasteur's nacelles are a bit straighter and the paint on the new Defiant is a bit better

Conversely, the "B" and "C" in the new set are noticeably bent compared to the old ones. The saucer and nacelles on the "B" are a good five or so degrees off. The saucer on the "C" is quite warped.

The saucer on my old Grissom tilted down a bit, whereas this one tilts up a bit, enough that there's a bit of a split in the strut under the right nacelle. The paint on the new one is sharper and more where it should be.

As I said, I haven't pulled most of the rest out yet, but they look on par with the old ones. (They also look much sharper, not having the 15 years of wear and being handled by grubby fingers that the old ones have.)

I'd still like another Set I, cause all my broken ones were from that set (though even that can be pricey on ebay). And, as God is my witness, someday I'm gonna get one of that Set III...
Old November 14 2012, 07:23 AM   #40
t_smitts
Commander

I also noticed that some the ship descriptions on the back of the set I just got are different. The one for the Farragut describes the ship Kirk was on, and the one for the Defiant talks about the Constitution-class Defiant.
Old November 14 2012, 07:39 AM   #41
Frontier
Vice Admiral

View Frontier's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Frontier

I have all but 3 of them myself - the rare(r) Kazon ship, Caretaker array, and Bajoran Solar ship. Have a couple doubles too. Runabouts, DS9, Cardassian Galor. Still have them all. Recently bought a couple loose for my nephew, cause he wanted some ships to play with and it was really tough to find one that where both affordable and durable enough to stand up to kid play.

I'm a ship junkie though. I've got the Furuta ships too, and all the Hallmark ornaments, and the Playmates ones, and the Art Asylum/DST ones...

Very few ships exist in physical form I don't have. Cause I just have to have them. Even spent the $75 or so for a Luna-Class (USS Titan) resin model.

I wish they'd make micro-machines again.

Wish list:
Prometheus, Steamrunner, Akira, Saber, Norway, Nova, Yeager, Delta Flyer, Borg Sphere, Borg Queen Diamond, Borg Tactical Cube, Borg Probe, Jem'Hadar Warship (bigger Jem ship, not the attack one we have), Cardassian Heidki, Breen Warship, Romulan Valdore, E-E (cause the one they did in the day isn't accurate, tbh), E-E shuttle from Nemesis, nuTrek 1701, nuTrek Kelvin, NX-01, Andorian Kumari, both (or all 3?) Vulcan ENT ships, ENT Shuttle pod, ENT Romulan BoP, ENT Klingon Raptor...

Just to name a few...

Frontier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14 2012, 09:00 AM   #42
t_smitts
Commander

Frontier wrote: View Post
I have all but 3 of them myself - the rare(r) Kazon ship, Caretaker array, and Bajoran Solar ship. Have a couple doubles too. Runabouts, DS9, Cardassian Galor. Still have them all. Recently bought a couple loose for my nephew, cause he wanted some ships to play with and it was really tough to find one that where both affordable and durable enough to stand up to kid play.

I'm a ship junkie though. I've got the Furuta ships too, and all the Hallmark ornaments, and the Playmates ones, and the Art Asylum/DST ones...

Very few ships exist in physical form I don't have. Cause I just have to have them. Even spent the $75 or so for a Luna-Class (USS Titan) resin model.

I wish they'd make micro-machines again.

Wish list:
Prometheus, Steamrunner, Akira, Saber, Norway, Nova, Yeager, Delta Flyer, Borg Sphere, Borg Queen Diamond, Borg Tactical Cube, Borg Probe, Jem'Hadar Warship (bigger Jem ship, not the attack one we have), Cardassian Heidki, Breen Warship, Romulan Valdore, E-E (cause the one they did in the day isn't accurate, tbh), E-E shuttle from Nemesis, nuTrek 1701, nuTrek Kelvin, NX-01, Andorian Kumari, both (or all 3?) Vulcan ENT ships, ENT Shuttle pod, ENT Romulan BoP, ENT Klingon Raptor...

Just to name a few...
If they'd kept up at the rate they were going, we might've had a fourth, fifth, or even sixth collector's set by the time "Enterprise".

That being said, every set had at least a few "hero" craft (1701, 1701-A, 1701-D, DS9, and arguably the runabout in the first set; Defiant, and 2 versions of the "D" in second set, Voyager and the "E" in the third). Most of the rest were ships from well-known aliens (Klingons, Romulans, Cardassians, Kazon, etc.) or ships that were prominent in a movie (Reliant, Excelsior, Enterprise-B, etc.) or a few of the more notable one-shot Starfleet ships (Enterprise-C, Stargazer, Pasteur, Saratoga).

By the time of the third set, they were getting into some more obscure alien-of-the-week ships (Karemma, Klaestron, Numiri) that might not have sold so well. There were a couple more Dominion ships they could've done and maybe some from "First Contact" and "Insurrection" but I'm not sure what other "hero" ships they could've done, other than the Delta Flyer and arguably the Phoenix, between 1996 and 2001, when "Enterprise" started.

I wouldn't have minded the starships from "First Contact", but their time on screen was pretty brief. "Voyager" was pretty much all "ship of the week" stuff for most of its latter half, with not too many standouts, except, ironically, for Starfleet stuff like the Prometheus, the Equinox and the pseudo-Starfleet Dauntless.

Now they had a few good ones again once "Enterprise" started: NX-01, obviously, plus Vulcan, Andorian, and Klingon ships. (I supposed they'd do a shuttlepod, but the truth is I could take or leave most shuttles). Still, several years long wait for a toy company, especially since most of those ships' first appearances were pretty far apart.

I really liked Abrams' Trek, but I honestly don't have any interest in ships from that series, just like I'm not interested in miniatures from the Star Wars prequels.

There were some I would've liked, but maybe in retrospect, we didn't miss as much as we think.
Old November 25 2012, 06:08 PM   #43
Saul
Rear Admiral

Glad to know I wasn't the only one who wasn't able to get their hands on that third set.
Old November 25 2012, 06:23 PM   #44
Gagh
Commodore

I had everything they made in the first couple of years, then sold the lot on eBay for a tidy sum about 5 years ago.
Gagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2012, 04:16 AM   #45
T'Bonz
Romulan Curmudgeon

I have the 3 sets, plus a loose Array, Kazon ship and I think I have the special Klingon ship.

I really like the little ships.

Romulans aren't paranoid. We're merely proactively cautious.
T'Bonz is offline   Reply With Quote