Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old November 26 2012, 01:49 AM   #16
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Re: Trek actors in other roles

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Warehouse 13 is practically a Trek convention when it comes to guest-stars.
Don't forget Faran Tahir as Regent Adwin Kosan.

Love watching Captain Robau crewing out Captain Janeway.

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2012, 01:56 AM   #17
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

T'Girl wrote: View Post
Warehouse 13 is practically a Trek convention when it comes to guest-stars.
Don't forget Faran Tahir as Regent Adwin Kosan.

Love watching Captain Robau crewing out Captain Janeway.

Good call! I knew I must have missed somebody!

Me, I'm just amused that Pete's mom is Janeway and his ex-wife is Seven of Nine. Too bad they haven't managed to get both of them into the same episode yet!

You know, if Pete's mom ever meets Myka's dad, we'll have Janeway vs. Colonel Tigh!
Old November 26 2012, 04:13 AM   #18
Christopher
Writer

Oh, right, Richard Basehart. The place I saw Cotten recently was a Rockford Files episode on Netflix. Dave Mack got me interested in that show recently. That's another one that has a fair number of Trek guest stars, not to mention a recurring role for a pre-Bionic Woman Lindsay Wagner in at least the first season.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2012, 08:09 AM   #19
Kirkman1987
Commodore

Speaking of roles before Star Trek, I'm always impressed with Shatner's role as Adam Kramer in The Intruder. It makes me wish Shatner had been in full heel mode more often. His charisma makes his evil nature that much more devious. You really believe that people would fall under this guy's spell.

Kirkman1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2012, 08:25 AM   #20
Melakon
Vice Admiral

The Intruder is also available at Internet Archive for free download, under the title Shame. They filmed parts of it southeast Missouri, circa 1962, with local residents playing some of the parts. On more than one occasion, when some local jurisdictions found out what the film was actually about, Shatner, Roger Corman, and rest of the crew would have to make a fast getaway out of town.
Melakon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2012, 10:28 AM   #21
SimpleLogic

I recently watched Throw Mamma From the Train on Netflix which I hadn't seen in a long time and there was Captain Janeway as Billy Crystal's ex-wife.
Old November 26 2012, 11:25 AM   #22
lurok
Commodore

I stumbled across an episode of The Rockford Files (the James Garner PI show?) on a late-late night run a few years ago and thought I saw Marc Alaimo. This was before I'd finished DS9 so only knew him from Dukat make-up but his features and voice were pretty recognisable. And he was playing a baddie. Duh. I'm sure I've seen Faran Tahir in West Wing too and Steven Culp (Hayes in ENT) has popped up recently in a very memorable Republican House Speaker guest role.
Old November 26 2012, 03:08 PM   #23
Maniarek
Lieutenant

I remember Avery Brooks as the high school teacher in the absolutely superb film American History X. His style of acting was a good fit for that role.

And who could forget Brent Spiner as the over-enthusiastic scientist in Independence Day? His talent wasn’t utilized but was still memorable in its own way!
Maniarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2012, 03:12 PM   #24
Maniarek
Lieutenant

Warehouse 13 is practically a Trek convention when it comes to guest-stars. So far, Kate Mulgrew, Jeri Ryan, Rene Aubojonois, Armin Shimmerman, and Brent Spiner have all appeared on the show, often in recurring roles. (I think Shimmerman is the only one who hasn't made a return appearance yet.)

I figure Wil Wheaton and John DeLancie are only a matter of time . . .

Leverage loves its Trek-friendly guest stars, too.
That's pretty cool. I gave Warehouse 13 a go sometime ago but my interest waned after the first few episodes....

Last edited by Maniarek; November 26 2012 at 04:17 PM.
Maniarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2012, 03:18 PM   #25
Christopher
Writer

Maniarek wrote: View Post
I gave Warehouse 13 a go sometime ago but my interested waned after the first few episodes....
I was lukewarm about it for a while myself, but it's really improved in the past couple of seasons.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2012, 03:33 PM   #26
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Melakon wrote: View Post
And, of course, Shatner starred in two classic episodes of The Twilight Zone: "Nick of Time" and "Nightmare at 20,000 Feet."
Yeah, but I figured everybody knows that.
Probably, but I can never resist a chance to plug Matheson. It's second nature at this point!
Old November 27 2012, 02:39 PM   #27
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain

I was pleasently suprised to see Rosalind Chao show up in Tour of Duty as vietnamese fighter.

Also Hk-47, Kristoffer Tabori was really good in that.
Drago-Kazov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2012, 05:01 PM   #28
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Let's not forget Majel Barret as a robot madam into Westworld . . .
Old November 27 2012, 09:21 PM   #29
Melakon
Vice Admiral

I was watching the film "Tango and Cash" one time, when I noticed one of the bad guys sitting in a chair, tenting his fingers just like Gul Dukat would do. Yeah, it was Marc Alaimo. One time I went to see a play at one of the non-equity 99 seat theatres in LA, and a photo was on a wall indicating Alaimo was a member of the theatre company. Unfortunately, he wasn't in the play I saw.
Melakon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2012, 09:47 PM   #30
inflatabledalek
Captain

Shatner's first Columbo is interesting because Walter Koenig pops up in a small role.

What's odd about it is it doesn't feel like an intentional gag. The two aren't on screen together, there's no cutesy references and Walter's part is all of three lines. It feels for all the world as if it's just that his career was just in a place where thankless bit parts were all he could get and cropping up in the same show as Shatner was just a coincidence.

Shatner's second Columbo is interesting because of the deeply silly moustache he's sprouting. Which grows and shrinks across the film (Falk's hair is noticeably dyed much darker in one scene as well, all of which makes it feel like they did some shooting much later than the bulk of production).

There's an episode of Lois and Clark where Jonathan Frakes (along with his wife) is introduced to the scenery and given a knife and fork before being told to chow on down.