Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old November 8 2012, 05:29 PM   #1
T'Cal
Commodore

Trek actors in other roles

My family and I, while watching movies, series, commercials, etc., make a point of pointing out actors who we recognize from their work in Star Trek. So it was a treat last night to watch the 1979 film called The Onion Field, which was chock full of alum:
John Hurt - VOY's Capt. Ransom
Franklyn Seales - TMP's unnamed crewman
Phillip Allen - TSFS's Capt. Esteban
Ronny Cox - TNG's Capt. Jellico
Christopher Lloyd - TSFS's Kruge
Richard Herd - TNG's L'kor & VOY's Adm. Paris
K Callan - DS9's Alsia
Michael Pataki - TOS's Karnas & TNG's Korax
John de Lancie - TNG/DS9/VOY's Q
Jesse Lawrence Fergeson - TNG's Lutan

The Law & Order shows as well as the CSI series have always been a good source for this past time but this is the greatest number of Trek actors in one non-Trek film that I've seen. I dare you to top this!
Old November 12 2012, 09:56 AM   #2
MHT1138
Fleet Captain

Re: Trek actors in other roles

I know I can't top that, but I love spotting Star Trek actors in other projects. I can usually name the actor too.
Old November 12 2012, 12:40 PM   #3
lurok
Commodore

Been watching the West Wing, which has quite a few as well, including Q, Phlox and Keiko and half-a-dozen or more who've done guest spots (Vaadwaur baddie, Janeway's father)
Old November 12 2012, 05:54 PM   #4
Surak of Vulcan
Ensign

To point out the brutally obvious;
Scott Bakula: Dr. Sam Beckett in Quantum Leap

There's plenty others, it's just that Bakula's role in Quantum Leap is one of the first to come to mind when I think of Trek actors/actresses in Non-Trek roles.
Old November 25 2012, 09:01 PM   #5
T'Cal
Commodore

Of course, Dean Stockwell appeared with Bakula on ENT too.
Old November 25 2012, 09:19 PM   #6
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Warehouse 13 is practically a Trek convention when it comes to guest-stars. So far, Kate Mulgrew, Jeri Ryan, Rene Aubojonois, Armin Shimmerman, and Brent Spiner have all appeared on the show, often in recurring roles. (I think Shimmerman is the only one who hasn't made a return appearance yet.)

I figure Wil Wheaton and John DeLancie are only a matter of time . . .

Leverage loves its Trek-friendly guest stars, too.
Old November 25 2012, 09:52 PM   #7
Christopher
Writer

T'Cal wrote: View Post
John Hurt - VOY's Capt. Ransom
You mean John Savage. John Hurt, unfortunately, has never done Star Trek. He probably had his fill of spaceships after what happened to him aboard the Nostromo...

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2012, 10:14 PM   #8
Ho Ho Homeier
Vice Admiral

You got it reversed. Pataki was Korax on TOS and Karnas on TNG.

I like finding actors in performances before they did Star Trek. The most well-known occurance is probably Shatner and Nimoy appearing in the same episode of The Man from U.N.C.L.E., a full year before Kirk and Spock. Shatner, Nimoy, and James Doohan all appear in episodes of the original Outer Limits, as well as several future guest stars. Nimoy shows up in an early episode of Bonanza ("The Ape") as a slimey cardshark, available for free download at the Internet Archive.
Ho Ho Homeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2012, 10:39 PM   #9
JiNX-01
Admiral

View JiNX-01's Twitter Profile

Connor Trinneer: B4 ENT:
Sliders
Freaky Links
Touched By An Angel
Club Med commercial
Pensacola Wings of Gold
Those are the only ones I can remember.
-- Mahatma Gandhi --
JiNX-01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2012, 11:21 PM   #10
Christopher
Writer

Melakon wrote: View Post
I like finding actors in performances before they did Star Trek. The most well-known occurance is probably Shatner and Nimoy appearing in the same episode of The Man from U.N.C.L.E., a full year before Kirk and Spock. Shatner, Nimoy, and James Doohan all appear in episodes of the original Outer Limits, as well as several future guest stars. Nimoy shows up in an early episode of Bonanza ("The Ape") as a slimey cardshark, available for free download at the Internet Archive.
I remember seeing DeForest Kelley and Walter Koenig in separate episodes of Perry Mason. I was struck by what a good actor Koenig was when he wasn't saddled with a phony accent, something he also proved on Babylon 5 decades later.

Then there was the 1962 Bonanza episode "The Decision," guest-starring Kelley as a doctor who'd been falsely convicted of murder -- and John Hoyt as the judge who sentenced him to death!

Old November 26 2012, 12:25 AM   #11
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Melakon wrote: View Post
You got it reversed. Pataki was Korax on TOS and Karnas on TNG.

And, of course, Shatner starred in two classic episodes of The Twilight Zone: "Nick of Time" and "Nightmare at 20,000 Feet."

Both scripted by (ahem) Richard Matheson . . . .
Old November 26 2012, 12:47 AM   #12
Christopher
Writer

T'other day on TCM, I caught a bit of Shatner's big-screen debut in The Brothers Karamazov with Yul Brynner, Joseph Cotten, and Lee J. Cobb. He played a very quiet, pious character, the youngest brother. In the parts I saw, he was mostly standing around in the background while the bigger stars were talking, or facing away from the camera while talking (or mostly listening) to Brynner.

Old November 26 2012, 12:52 AM   #13
TiberiusMaximus
Fleet Captain

Location: A ship, a living ship, full of strange alien lifeforms.

Rene Auberjonois (Odo) in an episode of Hart to Hart

Connor Trinneer on Numb3rs and Stargate Atlantis

Wil Wheaton as himself on The Big Bang Theory

Warehouse 13 is practically a Trek convention when it comes to guest-stars. So far, Kate Mulgrew, Jeri Ryan, Rene Aubojonois, Armin Shimmerman, and Brent Spiner have all appeared on the show, often in recurring roles. (I think Shimmerman is the only one who hasn't made a return appearance yet.)

I figure Wil Wheaton and John DeLancie are only a matter of time . . .
Eureka and Warehouse are in the same 'verse, and Wil Wheaton plays Fargo's rival on Eureka.
"Quite possibly, the five Jem'Hadar could turn Data into a collection of four spasming limbs, one helpless torso, and one head that shouts insults at them like the Black Knight from the Monty Python sketch." -Timo Saloniemi
TiberiusMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2012, 01:20 AM   #14
Ho Ho Homeier
Vice Admiral

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
And, of course, Shatner starred in two classic episodes of The Twilight Zone: "Nick of Time" and "Nightmare at 20,000 Feet."
Yeah, but I figured everybody knows that. Shatner was working his @$$ off in the early days.

Grace Lee Whitney and Robert Fortier (Scotty's drinking partner in "By Any Other Name") both play important supporting roles in original Outer Limits' "Controlled Experiment".
Ho Ho Homeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2012, 01:27 AM   #15
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
T'other day on TCM, I caught a bit of Shatner's big-screen debut in The Brothers Karamazov with Yul Brynner, Joseph Cotten, and Lee J. Cobb. He played a very quiet, pious character, the youngest brother. In the parts I saw, he was mostly standing around in the background while the bigger stars were talking, or facing away from the camera while talking (or mostly listening) to Brynner.
I saw that in college back in the early eighties. I remember being amused that Shatner was playing the spiritual brother instead of the womanizing one--and that Hollywood actually gave The Brothers Karamazoz a happy ending! (I was taking a course on Dostoevsky at the time and had just read the book.)

I taped it off TCM, too, but haven't had a chance to watch it yet.

(Are you sure Joseph Cotten is in it? I remember the three brothers being played by Brynner, Shatner, and Richard Basehart, with Basehart playing Ivan, the intellectual brother.)

Last edited by Greg Cox; November 26 2012 at 01:46 AM.
Greg Cox is online now   Reply With Quote