RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,219
Posts: 5,347,108
Members: 24,607
Currently online: 714
Newest member: lueth2048

TrekToday headlines

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

IDW Publishing Comic Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old November 23 2012, 12:10 AM   #121
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: So we're undoing Indistinguishable from magic?

JD wrote: View Post
Then there's the way they've treated Mr. McIntee, it just seems kind of rude to me to make all of these new decisions about his book without informing him, or seeking some kind of input from him.
The thing is, that's not really unusual. What we do is work-for-hire. We don't own anything we create; CBS and Pocket do. So there's no obligation to consult any given author before doing any given thing with their ideas. I've never been consulted when an editor wanted to make a change with one of my characters or ideas, though a few authors have chosen to consult me for the sake of continuity or clarification. Once I turn in the manuscript, it belongs to them to do with as they like, and they can unilaterally make whatever changes they want, contradict it in a later book, cancel it altogether, make little paper hats out of it, you name it. (Okay, it's not actually printed on paper these days, but that takes all the fun out of hyperbole.) So it's not rude or unusual to do things without informing us or seeking our input. It's just the nature of the contractual relationship we all entered into. They're under no obligation to do either.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2012, 12:24 AM   #122
JD
Admiral
 
JD's Avatar
 
Location: Arizona, USA
Re: So we're undoing Indistinguishable from magic?

Oh, I understand it wasn't something they would have to do. It just seemed to me like it would have been the polite thing to do. But then again, I guess this is business, and sadly politeness tends to be very low on most business decision makers list of concerns.
__________________
Over the course of many encounters and many years, I have successfully developed a standard operating procedure for dealing with big, nasty monsters. Run away. Me and Monty Python.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2012, 12:48 AM   #123
Lonemagpie
Writer
 
Lonemagpie's Avatar
 
Location: Yorkshire
Re: So we're undoing Indistinguishable from magic?

Christopher wrote: View Post
JD wrote: View Post
Then there's the way they've treated Mr. McIntee, it just seems kind of rude to me to make all of these new decisions about his book without informing him, or seeking some kind of input from him.
The thing is, that's not really unusual. What we do is work-for-hire. We don't own anything we create; CBS and Pocket do. So there's no obligation to consult any given author before doing any given thing with their ideas. I've never been consulted when an editor wanted to make a change with one of my characters or ideas, though a few authors have chosen to consult me for the sake of continuity or clarification. Once I turn in the manuscript, it belongs to them to do with as they like, and they can unilaterally make whatever changes they want, contradict it in a later book, cancel it altogether, make little paper hats out of it, you name it. (Okay, it's not actually printed on paper these days, but that takes all the fun out of hyperbole.) So it's not rude or unusual to do things without informing us or seeking our input. It's just the nature of the contractual relationship we all entered into. They're under no obligation to do either.
Indeedy - the thread seems to have gone in strange directions
__________________
"I got two modes with people- Bite, and Avoid"
Reading: Mr Mercedes (Stephen King)

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2012, 05:44 PM   #124
Zman1
Captain
 
Zman1's Avatar
 
Location: nx-01 in the mirror universe
Re: So we're undoing Indistinguishable from magic?

I really liked this book. It was well written with a compelling story. I could see Geordi ending up in the center seat like that. I also don't have an issue with him getting put back on the E, I mean it isn't unprecedented to take a position demotion in trek to be where you want (when given the option) just look at Spock. He was the 1701's captain (with the same rank) in TWK but when the 1701-A launched he was assigned as the first officer or Chekov who was first officer on reliant but back to security chief on the A. I could see Geordi wanting to stay on the E especially after loosing both Scotty and the Challenger as for character development it isn't like he's back in the engine room he's the 2nd officer now. I don't see such glaring continuity issues considering isnt anything that hasn't been done before. I hope that in the future this book gets referenced and that the writer doesn't get too discouraged it was a well written book.
__________________
I love Shaylene
"Pinky, We've stumbled upon the spawning ground of the Village People!"
"Call the Pentagon"
"the Pentagon ?"
"You know, weird building with four walls and A spare. Monument to Murphy's Law"
Zman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2012, 10:12 PM   #125
Markonian
Captain
 
Markonian's Avatar
 
Location: Leipzig, Saxony
Re: So we're undoing Indistinguishable from Magic?

The German publisher CrossCult is now reconsidering whether they publish IFM or not because of its new status:
http://www.comicforum.de/showthread....Romane/page167
(post #4170).

Find that worth mentioning. Personally, I'd like to see the novel published anyway because the continuity glitches are negligible, Imho.
Markonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2012, 10:14 PM   #126
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral
 
JarodRussell's Avatar
 
Re: So we're undoing Indistinguishable from magic?

Christopher wrote: View Post
JD wrote: View Post
Then there's the way they've treated Mr. McIntee, it just seems kind of rude to me to make all of these new decisions about his book without informing him, or seeking some kind of input from him.
The thing is, that's not really unusual. What we do is work-for-hire. We don't own anything we create; CBS and Pocket do. So there's no obligation to consult any given author before doing any given thing with their ideas. I've never been consulted when an editor wanted to make a change with one of my characters or ideas, though a few authors have chosen to consult me for the sake of continuity or clarification. Once I turn in the manuscript, it belongs to them to do with as they like, and they can unilaterally make whatever changes they want, contradict it in a later book, cancel it altogether, make little paper hats out of it, you name it. (Okay, it's not actually printed on paper these days, but that takes all the fun out of hyperbole.) So it's not rude or unusual to do things without informing us or seeking our input. It's just the nature of the contractual relationship we all entered into. They're under no obligation to do either.
And it won't ever change if you keep that submissive mindset.
__________________
lol
l
/\
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2012, 11:13 PM   #127
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: So we're undoing Indistinguishable from Magic?

Markonian wrote: View Post
The German publisher CrossCult is now reconsidering whether they publish IFM or not because of its new status:
http://www.comicforum.de/showthread....Romane/page167
Well, that doesn't make any sense. Pocket Trek has never been limited to publishing tales in only one all-encompassing continuity. Even during the current era when there's one primary novel continuity, there have still been other books that stood apart from it, like the Shatner novels, the Crucible trilogy, and The Children of Kings. Cross Cult has already published Crucible, not to mention translations of the 2009 movie novelization and a couple of the Abramsverse Starfleet Academy books. They haven't limited themselves to a single book continuity in the past, so why start now?
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2012, 11:21 PM   #128
Defcon
Rear Admiral
 
Defcon's Avatar
 
Location: Germany
View Defcon's Twitter Profile
Re: So we're undoing Indistinguishable from Magic?

Christopher wrote: View Post
Markonian wrote: View Post
The German publisher CrossCult is now reconsidering whether they publish IFM or not because of its new status:
http://www.comicforum.de/showthread....Romane/page167
Well, that doesn't make any sense. Pocket Trek has never been limited to publishing tales in only one all-encompassing continuity. Even during the current era when there's one primary novel continuity, there have still been other books that stood apart from it, like the Shatner novels, the Crucible trilogy, and The Children of Kings. Cross Cult has already published Crucible, not to mention translations of the 2009 movie novelization and a couple of the Abramsverse Starfleet Academy books. They haven't limited themselves to a single book continuity in the past, so why start now?
Probably because they number their books and have IFM planned as number 7 in the TNG series. Since the feedback is mostly that they should publish it anyway, just outside the main (=numbered) TNG series, I guess that is what will happen.

I don't really get why the number the books anyway, but they still cling to call DS9 Relaunch Season 8 of DS9, and promote/number Warpath as start of Season 9, so they probably just have some kind of fetish for numbers.
Defcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2012, 11:32 PM   #129
Paris
Fleet Captain
 
Paris's Avatar
 
Location: In the future's past
Re: So we're undoing Indistinguishable from magic?

^They like things orderly...from what i've heard...
Paris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2012, 11:32 PM   #130
Lonemagpie
Writer
 
Lonemagpie's Avatar
 
Location: Yorkshire
Re: So we're undoing Indistinguishable from Magic?

Well, FUCK. I was looking forward to seeing what they'd do with the cover if they did.

I hope they still do it, numbered or not, cos I just want to see what the cover would be...
__________________
"I got two modes with people- Bite, and Avoid"
Reading: Mr Mercedes (Stephen King)

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2012, 11:38 PM   #131
Sho
Fleet Captain
 
Sho's Avatar
 
Location: Berlin, Germany
Re: So we're undoing Indistinguishable from magic?

^ I think the mistake you made was showing Geordi in a happy relationship with a woman. The universe corrects.
Sho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2012, 12:21 AM   #132
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral
 
King Daniel Into Darkness's Avatar
 
Location: England again
Re: So we're undoing Indistinguishable from magic?

Dear Cross Cult: Just publish the damn book. Jesus.
__________________
Star Trek Imponderables, fun mashups of Trek's biggest continuity errors! Ep1, Ep2 and Ep3
King Daniel Into Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2012, 12:55 AM   #133
Markonian
Captain
 
Markonian's Avatar
 
Location: Leipzig, Saxony
Re: So we're undoing Indistinguishable from Magic?

Sho wrote: View Post
^ I think the mistake you made was showing Geordi in a happy relationship with a woman. The universe corrects.
Lol!

I found the original cover of IFM awesome and put the book in such a way into my shelf that I could better look at it. On the other hand, maybe CrossCult could produce another awesome cover (if they publish the book)?
Markonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2012, 03:43 PM   #134
Paris
Fleet Captain
 
Paris's Avatar
 
Location: In the future's past
Re: So we're undoing Indistinguishable from magic?

If Crosscult doesn't want to publish an awesome story just because of a few tiny little minor inconsistencies, then they are fucking crazy. When you break it down, most people would never even notice the differences. It's people like us who really care about the tiny little tidbits. It still fits with the ongoing continuity..all you need to do is put aside the Geordi-Leah relationship thing and it's fine. The whole Nog, Barclay, and Ogawa situations don't even need to be addressed. Same with the Sela characterization. As far as i'm concerned, this is as much a part of the ongoing continuity as any of the other books.
Paris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2012, 04:05 PM   #135
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral
 
King Daniel Into Darkness's Avatar
 
Location: England again
Re: So we're undoing Indistinguishable from magic?

Are they going to censor out the references to IFM in Plagues of Night, too?

I'm imagining some continuity-obsessed lunatic having taken over the world of Trek lit.
__________________
Star Trek Imponderables, fun mashups of Trek's biggest continuity errors! Ep1, Ep2 and Ep3
King Daniel Into Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:51 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.