Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 21 2012, 06:00 PM   #31
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Re: Remaking British shows for North American TV.

^
Temis is however right that how Homeland handles the spy aspect of the show owes way more to 24 than it does to Prisoners of War to the extent Homeland pretty much took a lot of plot ideas from the Israeli series and then worked them into a vaguely related thriller.
Old November 25 2012, 04:02 PM   #32
diankra
Commodore

lurok wrote: View Post
Though I don't think we've had a West Wing remake, and it's a different genre, I wonder if WW had any influence, stylistic or otherwise, on The Thick Of It? (which I believe has been adapted or remade for US?)

Re: New Tricks US - how about Olmos and McDonnell (right ages). I'd watch that.
West Wing: sort of, but on radio (Radio 4) - Number 10, with Anthony Sher and Damien Lewis as the two Prime Ministers it's had so far over five seasons. Also, there's been some TV series which are like The West Wing as originally pitched, with the focus on the President's staff, such as Party Animals.

As for New Tricks: it's amazing that nobody in the States seems to realise the retired could be a huge market (mind you, nobody in the UK expected New Tricks to do as brilliantly as it has). Just hire the main quartet from iconic 80s cop stars (how about Harvey Keitel, Tom Selleck, Daniel J Travanti and... oh, Kathleen Turner, and watch it top the ratings...
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2012, 07:27 PM   #33
beamMe
Fleet Captain

Though I don't think we've had a West Wing remake, and it's a different genre, I wonder if WW had any influence, stylistic or otherwise, on The Thick Of It? (which I believe has been adapted or remade for US?)

Isn't West Wing, somehow, a non-sitcom version of Yes, (Prime) Minister?
beamMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2012, 08:15 PM   #34
AviTrek
Fleet Captain

diankra wrote: View Post

West Wing: sort of, but on radio (Radio 4) - Number 10, with Anthony Sher and Damien Lewis as the two Prime Ministers it's had so far over five seasons. Also, there's been some TV series which are like The West Wing as originally pitched, with the focus on the President's staff, such as Party Animals.

As for New Tricks: it's amazing that nobody in the States seems to realise the retired could be a huge market (mind you, nobody in the UK expected New Tricks to do as brilliantly as it has). Just hire the main quartet from iconic 80s cop stars (how about Harvey Keitel, Tom Selleck, Daniel J Travanti and... oh, Kathleen Turner, and watch it top the ratings...
The retired are on fixed incomes and have their spending habits fixed. Viewers don't matter, advertisers matter, and advertisers aren't interested in paying for retired viewers. That's why the ratings reported are for 18-49 not total viewers.
AviTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2012, 03:17 AM   #35
Santa Horrible
Tom Hendricks

View Santa Horrible's Twitter Profile

I was such a huge fan of the british version of "Coupling" and I couldn't wait for the american version of it. I thought if it was half as good as the british version, that it would be a huge hit. I was way wrong, the american version was basically lifeless. They chose all the wrong actors for it, it was no where as funny. It sill makes me sad to this day.

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.
Santa Horrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2012, 05:17 AM   #36
Olive, the Other Reindeer
Vice Admiral

sojourner wrote: View Post
EmoBorg wrote: View Post
. . .The show was cancelled after one season but the show was pretty good in concept. It is similar to Terra Nova but without the costly dinosaurs special effects.This show did come out before Tera Nova. A North American version could find an audience that the British version did not have.
It was called Earth 2. It lasted for about the same number of episodes.
At first I thought you meant Earth II, the 1971 pilot for a proposed series about people living on an orbiting space station, starring Tony Franciosa. Damn, I feel old.

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
Tulin wrote: View Post
Americans are TERRIFIED of anybody over forty appearing on tv, let alone somebody over 65!!!
We had a slew of such shows during the '80s and '90s--The Golden Girls, Murder She Wrote, Diagnosis: Murder (to name some)--that had rather long runs.
What about All In the Family, which was based on the British sitcom Till Death Us Do Part and ran from 1971 to 1979? Archie and Edith Bunker were presumably in their fifties.

Of course, compared to Alf Garnett, Archie was a teddy bear.
Old November 26 2012, 12:02 PM   #37
lurok
Commodore

diankra wrote: View Post
Also, there's been some TV series which are like The West Wing as originally pitched, with the focus on the President's staff, such as Party Animals.
Thanks for that tip. Will check out when finish WW.
Old November 27 2012, 04:15 AM   #38
diankra
Commodore

AviTrek wrote: View Post
The retired are on fixed incomes and have their spending habits fixed. Viewers don't matter, advertisers matter, and advertisers aren't interested in paying for retired viewers. That's why the ratings reported are for 18-49 not total viewers.
I follow your point, but I equally wonder how if that's the case (over in the UK) ITV has an entire channel filled with comforting detective shows aimed at the retired, and manages to finance it from ads for stairlifts!
Possibly the focus on the young viewers is as misguided as the previous focus on mass audiences for the likes of Beverly Hillbillies and Two's Company... Some of those 60-pluses are heading out to watch the Rolling Stones live, at $400 a ticket...
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2012, 02:12 PM   #39
Corwwyn
Vice Admiral

Tulin wrote: View Post
You can bet the Yanks will NEVER remake "New Tricks".

Americans are TERRIFIED of anybody over forty appearing on tv, let alone somebody over 65!!!
I don't know about that...

Matlock (Andy Griffith was no spring chicken in that show);

Boston Legal (how old are William Shatner and Candice Bergen now?);

Going waaaaay back, Fred Mertz (ie William Frawley) in I Love Lucy was 64 in the first season and 70 in the last;

and of course, The Golden Girls...

Corwwyn is offline   Reply With Quote