RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,705
Members: 24,207
Currently online: 837
Newest member: MaileDetty

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old November 24 2012, 02:52 AM   #46
Melakon
Rear Admiral

Re: What do you want to see in TAS Remastered?

I suppose it depends on how their contracts were drawn up, and if there's a clause for derivative works. Shatner and Nimoy probably had the most lucrative contracts.
Melakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2012, 03:04 AM   #47
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

TREK_GOD_1 wrote: View Post
Andymator wrote: View Post
I love a good animation discussion!
...and here of all places!

You're thinking of the work of Maurice Noble in the 50s, which is most certainly not influenced by UPA, nor lazy in any sense of the word. It's overwhelmingly celebrated in the animation world (and some would say far too often imitated).
It has also been described as pretentious--when directors/animators become too self aware of the then-"new direction" the work was taking. Also, it is important to note that certain social ideology of the period played a part in the celebration of that work, as opposed to earlier efforts of MGM (for one example) which did not need interpretation or commentary to be successful to a mass theatre audience hungry for more.

On the subject of replacing the original animation in the Star Trek Animated Series... I can't say I feel strongly one way or the other. Part of the charm of the series is it's junky limited look, which feels right at home with the storytelling style utilized. On the other hand, being open to new interpretations can sometimes bring surprisingly great results.
Then CBS should prove their own creative abilities by producing an all-new animated series. Be brave and take that chance, as "Remastering" or any form of tinkering with the original just smells of trying to gain from the creative labors/cultural effects generated by others.
I'm all for an all-new animated series. But it doesn't change the fact that for a long time I've felt the animation of TAS needs to be redone. I love the planetscape backgrounds and the design work put into it... but the animation is pretty piss-poor.

Putting TAS on Blu-ray, as-is, simply isn't going to be much of an upgrade. The animation is so simple, I doubt we're really missing any significant details watching the DVD's.
Old November 24 2012, 03:36 AM   #48
Harvey
Admiral

T'Girl wrote: View Post
Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
There's no reason any of the voices would need to be replaced, would there be?
After all this time, would the original voice actors receive any additional money?
For the live action series, none of the actors received money after the first five re-runs (except Shatner, who owned a percentage of the program, and successfully sued Paramount for it in the 1980s). For an animated series broadcast from 1973-74, I doubt their deals were any better, but I don't know for sure.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2012, 04:19 PM   #49
Forbin
Admiral

TAS on BluRay? Great, now we'll be able to see the fingerprints, hairs and paint smudges on the cells MUCH clearer!
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2012, 04:32 PM   #50
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Forbin wrote: View Post
TAS on BluRay? Great, now we'll be able to see the fingerprints, hairs and paint smudges on the cells MUCH clearer!
I stand corrected!
Old November 25 2012, 02:19 AM   #51
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

What do you want to see in TAS Remastered?
In "The Survivor" we could have some interesting hentai-style tentacle sex between Anne Nored and the Vendorian.

That might get the blu-ray sells rolling.

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2012, 04:55 AM   #52
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

And the brain bleach...

"Set phasers tae malky!"
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2012, 06:13 AM   #53
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

BillJ wrote: View Post

If its enough to get my 19 year old daughter (who already has massive respect for the classics) and my 15 year old son to sit though it and experience the story. Then I say have at it.
That was part of the Lucas excuse for all of his Special Edition changes (along with "matching" the visuals to the then-forthcoming "prequels"), and what happened?

Three terrible versions of Jabba the Hutt (the cut scene) appearing less realistic than the full size puppet made in 1982. After a try in the reissue, and twice on home video, they could not create a realistic Jabba, or even try to match it to the design of the puppet.

Slapped in creatures obviously not in the same frame or believable scale as the filmed material (Mos Eisley introduction), not to mention the CG lacks the film grain of the 70mm negatives.

Cityscapes (Cloud City, the shoehorned Couroscant in Return of the Jedi) with all of the realism of a video game.

Was it worth it? Aside from the special editions drawing in original fans (who were going to see the "prequels" in any case), I doubt it was worth the flood of criticism he recieved for the changes.
Is that what he did?

Now I'm really gonna make sure I never lose my VHS tapes of the original, un-messed-with, Han-shot-first trilogy!

Remakes and "improvements" really irk me. It's like colorizing black-and-white shows and movies are going to make them better. I loved the 1950s Richard Greene Robin Hood series, but when I saw a colorized version, it looked incredibly stupid - NOBODY wears that shade of green!

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2012, 04:00 PM   #54
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

T'Girl wrote: View Post
What do you want to see in TAS Remastered?
In "The Survivor" we could have some interesting hentai-style tentacle sex between Anne Nored and the Vendorian.

That might get the blu-ray sells rolling.

That has the same chance of happening as Geordi had of being in a real relationship with a woman during the TNG TV series.

In other words, don't hold your breath waiting for it.
Old November 25 2012, 04:28 PM   #55
Forbin
Admiral

If they remake BEM, it'd be nice if they found some way for his individual parts to move other than magical levitation. BEM himself couldn't fly, why could his arms and head? Even at 15 that made me go
Old November 26 2012, 06:26 PM   #56
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Forbin wrote: View Post
BEM
Foster's adaptation made more sense, the flying head walked around on tiny legs, the torso walk on it's hands.
T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2012, 06:52 PM   #57
Forbin
Admiral

Not sure if that actually makes what ya can call sense, but it at least it obeys the laws of physics.
Old November 29 2012, 03:48 AM   #58
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sector 7

The work had to pass the quality test to make viewers care. Lou Scheimer was determined to respect the content, and that went a long way in making TAS work.

If a low-balling company like Hanna-Barbera produced TAS, fans would have revolted with episode one, as it is a bit distracting to see characters' arms slip off of the body, insignias switch colors, and backgrounds painted on the level of a pre-schooler with watercolors.

That was H-B in the early 70s, and as the other big U.S. animation house (on TV), ST was more than blessed to have Filmation handle the series, which--as seen right out of the gates in 1973--was the right direction.
I don't think I ever saw the same version of TAS that you did. The one I saw had very little movement, insignias DID often change colors... as did rank for the same character, continuity within each episode was non-existant... and yet, because it was my first exposure to Star Trek, I LOVE IT! I still consider my favorite Father's Day present, ST:TAS on DVD.
Kelso wrote: View Post
I'd prefer a new animated series.

And I love TAS.

Carry on.
Agreed!
Davros wrote: View Post
Make new ones and leave the originals as they are.
This^!
Old December 2 2012, 07:21 PM   #59
Warped9
Admiral

In an ideal world I'd see TAS redone with good 2D style animation as opposed to cgi like that seen in Star Wars: The Clone Wars. I think it would best respect the original artistic integrity (and, yes, there is that in TAS) while also making it more enjoyable for younger viewers. There was a lot of good and interesting ideas in TAS, but the final result was just too static overall, and that was evident even when the show was first broadcast. At the time the static quality wasn't minded so much because it was new Star Trek in addition to the oft-viewed reruns of the original seventy-nine TOS episodes. But time has long eroded that novelty.

A redone TAS would make the show more visually appealing, but it still couldn't help that truncated feeling a lot of the episodes have, the sense that scenes and story are missing to fit the episode into a half hour format.