IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old November 25 2012, 02:03 PM   #796
M
Vice Admiral

Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Thanks for doing these interviews, FrontierTrek! Very interesting stuff. It's nice to know we'll be getting a trailer for season 3 on the new set. December 6th can't come soon enough!
Garak: »Especially the lies.«
M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2012, 02:10 PM   #797
Ghostface1701
Commander

M wrote: View Post
Thanks for doing these interviews, FrontierTrek! Very interesting stuff. It's nice to know we'll be getting a trailer for season 3 on the new set. December 6th can't come soon enough!
Seconded! I'm giddy with anticipation for the Season 3 trailer, probably more than I am about seeing most of Season 2! If I could have only one piece of Trek in HD, it'd probably be TNG Season 3, so I hope CBS-D will maintain the high standards they set for the first season.
Ghostface1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2012, 02:17 PM   #798
FrontierTrek
Fleet Captain

View FrontierTrek's Twitter Profile

Glad you enjoyed it!

Ghostface1701 wrote: View Post
Seconded! I'm giddy with anticipation for the Season 3 trailer, probably more than I am about seeing most of Season 2! If I could have only one piece of Trek in HD, it'd probably be TNG Season 3, so I hope CBS-D will maintain the high standards they set for the first season.
The Season 3 trailer is AMAZING. CBS Digital have done an INCREDIBLE job on Season 3!
Old November 25 2012, 02:24 PM   #799
Ghostface1701
Commander

FrontierTrek wrote: View Post
The Season 3 trailer is AMAZING. CBS Digital have done an INCREDIBLE job on Season 3!
Well, there's one way you could ease my concerns!
Old November 25 2012, 03:09 PM   #800
senten
Ensign

Glad you enjoyed it!

Will we be seeing this on TrekCore soon?
senten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2012, 03:25 PM   #801
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Salinga wrote: View Post
Timo47 wrote: View Post
According to the interview, everybody over at CBS is patting themselves on the back for a job well done.
It's pretty simple: The react to our criticism like "They are idiots, because they dont know what they are talking about. We are the professionals, and because of that we know: Every single shot we did for Season 2 is pure perfection. lol, f*ck these amateurs on teh internets."

That's such a silly statement. CBS takes viewer feedback very seriously, they're putting this product out to be bought by fans, and they have actively encouraged fan feedback right from Day 1.
Evidently they don't or else they'd go back to square one with the effects remastering for season two. The vast majority of shots are pretty poor when compared to the work done on season one, as Planet Blur above shows.
Old November 25 2012, 03:34 PM   #802
Jaro Stun
Captain

Glad you enjoyed it!

THANKS. World just looks better now :-)
Jaro Stun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2012, 04:56 PM   #803
Tosk
Rear Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
Evidently they don't or else they'd go back to square one with the effects remastering for season two.
There's no way you actually think that would ever happen. All that money and work thrown away? C'mon now.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2012, 06:35 PM   #804
Flake
Commodore

Planet blue blur posted here looks utterly pathetic compared to Season 1 planets.

How did CBS allow this to happen?

It seems as though they thought 'These guys used to work on the show, we can give them 100% control and we will be ok' - well that backfired! The FX seen thus far are a sharp downgrade from season 1.

All it needed was some form of communication between the two to ensure they where getting the same style & quality of season 1. Its as if they just left them to it.

To be fair I would have felt confident to allow Curry/Drexler and Takemura to use their own judgement because they originally made the show! but if I was in charge and saw their work starting to trickle in and noticed it was sub-par compared to season 1 - I would have said something!

*facepalm*
Flake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2012, 06:41 PM   #805
Flake
Commodore

AND!

Why remake the stock ILM shots? Why remake shots CBS-D have already done?? WHYYY!!? It makes no sense. Except to say 'Hey, this is what *I* think it should have looked like, screw your original attempt.
Old November 25 2012, 06:51 PM   #806
davejames
Vice Admiral

Salinga wrote: View Post
Lol. Yeah, that one is pretty undeniably bad. But it's still the exception here. Most of the S2 planets we've seen have looked FAR better than that.

And in any case, I don't think it's worth throwing a tantrum over. I for one am still incredibly grateful this remastering project is even happening. I'm not going to start insulting and picking apart their hard work just because every effects shot doesn't look movie-quality. I mean, come on.

It's amazing to me that suddenly all anybody cares about with TNG are these brief, 4 second shots of the Enterprise orbiting a planet.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2012, 08:39 PM   #807
Flake
Commodore

Its just frustrating that S2 is inferior to S1, that is all

EDIT: From a technical, vfx compositing POV, not quality of writing etc
Old November 25 2012, 08:41 PM   #808
Scotty
Rear Admiral

I did find this segment of the interview interesting....

TrekCore: Do you know if they’re going to be coming back to help with future seasons?
Denise Okuda: We really don’t know. If they came back, we would be thrilled again. Both the artists and the folks at CBS Digital and HTV, we have a great working relationship. We enjoy the enthusiasm. Mike and I feel so fortunate to be on this project and part of the team.
Mike Okuda: If we were fortunate enough to work with them again, we’d be thrilled.
In my opinion the original artists were too concerned with staying faithful to the original effects and they are partly to blame with not keeping in line with the earlier work done on CBS-D. It seems that CBS is on the fence about inviting them back for seasons 4 and 6. Maybe it's because they too see the difference of quality between seasons 1 and 2. I hope this is the case, because I'd much rather HTV Illuminated worked more closely with CBS-D than the old gang, after seeing some of the screenshots for season 2.
Old November 25 2012, 09:18 PM   #809
NewHorizon
Captain

davejames wrote: View Post
And in any case, I don't think it's worth throwing a tantrum over. I for one am still incredibly grateful this remastering project is even happening. I'm not going to start insulting and picking apart their hard work just because every effects shot doesn't look movie-quality. I mean, come on.
For me it has nothing to do with looking 'movie-quality' it is about consistency. HTV's work isn't just a minor deviation from the high bar CBS-Digital set with Season 1, it's a completely different approach esthetically. They took less care with things CBS did, like matte lines, star backdrops, and lighting. They totally revamped ILM shots that had already been finished..and in my opinion, they did them very poorly compared to CBS.

CBS Digital needs to be commended for the restraint they showed on Season 1, they really could have gone totally nuts and yet they didn't. The old team and HTV-Illuminate, appear to have shown absolutely no self restraint on Season 2. I think a little bit of ego got in the way, they went totally nuts with their 'vision', hurting not only the final product but also personally shattering any faith I had in their professional judgement....and they have lost themselves a sale for Season 2. I'm standing by that decision.

The two teams needed to work arm in arm and CBS is as much to blame for letting it happen in the first place. I certainly hope they have the guts not to let it happen ever again for the duration of this project. They're footing the bill for it...they should have been more assertive.

Scotty wrote: View Post
In my opinion the original artists were too concerned with staying faithful to the original effects and they are partly to blame with not keeping in line with the earlier work done on CBS-D.
I agree. There is definitely such a thing as remaining too faithful and we definitely saw it with Season 2.
NewHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2012, 09:28 PM   #810
Ghostface1701
Commander

Moving away from space VFX for a little while - I haven't heard of any instances yet of LCARS displays being corrected or improved, as they often were in Season 1. I was just looking through some TrekCore screenshots from the third season, where it's obvious even in SD that a screen that's meant to be the Captain's Log is just a bunch of random numbers.

I might not have expected it before, but CBS-D really did spoil us with their excellent work.