A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

Old November 24 2012, 12:33 AM   #16
bryce
Commodore

View bryce's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to bryce
Re: Viper Mk III (mild B&C spoilers)

cbspock wrote: View Post
How do we know it is a MK3 Viper? Was it mentioned on screen? How do we know its not a MK2 variant.
Yeah, in the last episode of B&C the lady commander refered to them as the "new mark 3's"

Oh, and I checked, and the tail number on the Mk. II Viper that Adama crashed in the Razor minisodes did not have the same tail number as the Mk. II Viper he said in the pilot that he flew during the war, which was 7242NC:
http://en.battlestarwiki.org/wiki/Viper_7242

The question I had was that Adama said in the pilot that the restored for him, 7242NC was the Viper he "flew during the war"...but the Viper he crashed in the Razer flashbacks was a different one - and (if it had been 7242NC - which it wasn't anwyay) he bailed out of that Viper at a pretty high altitude...likely it was flattened beyond repair on impact. And those flashbacks took place at the very, very end of the war - in fact, shortly after Adama crashed that Viper, the Cylon's surrendered - so there was no more time in the war left for him to be reassigned another Viper and fly it during the war.

But I dunno...maybe he flew 7242NC during the war for a long time...but for some reason he was in a different Viper in the Razor flashbacks...maybe 7242NC was damaged and during that battle he flew a different Viper.

What's weird about B&C is that so far we've *only* seen MK. III's...and I'll bet if Adam is given a Viper in (or at the end of) B&C it will be a Mk. III...(in fact there's a scence in the trailer for B&C that looks like that's exactly what happens...)

It's just not very consistent. But then again, liek I said, there have been some inconsistancies before about what Viper Adama flew during the war, so...

(But at least the makers of B&C remembered that Adama said that he flew a Raptor too during the war...)
Old November 24 2012, 08:18 PM   #17
Candlelight
Admiral

As someone mentioned, they will likely have mk 2s and 3s on Galactica, so will probably be given 'that' viper at the end of B & C.
Old November 25 2012, 12:59 AM   #18
DanCPA
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to DanCPA Send a message via Yahoo to DanCPA

well, I doubt he will be assigned another raptor!
Old November 25 2012, 08:31 AM   #19
Candlelight
Admiral

TighsEye wrote: View Post
well, I doubt he will be assigned another raptor!
You never know, if Razor truly was his first proper combat mission then he's probably gonna get his viper but not be able to use it for two more years!
Old November 27 2012, 08:30 PM   #20
USS KG5
Vice Admiral

BenRoethig wrote: View Post
Candlelight wrote: View Post
http://en.battlestarwiki.org/wiki/Viper_Mark_III

Introduced in Blood and Chrome. Very similar to the Mk II so I didn't spot it at first. The fuselage seems more bulky, the cockpit canopy seems more rounded and the wings slightly larger.

Didn't think we'd see anything else but I thought this was a nice easter egg considering it'll probably be the last BSG we'll see for a while.

Does raise the question why Mk IIs are still being used in Razor...
Bunch of possible reasons: attrition, airframe fatigue, not enough IIIs to go to all squadrons. Real world, we had two squadrons of A-7s still flying in the Gulf even though the Hornet had entered service 8 years early. More recently, Navy/Marine F/A-18 squadrons have switched from C models to A+ because the Alpha+ had more airframe life than the charlie stockpile. Plus, newer pilots tend to get older gear.
Good examples.

Something slightly older - look at Spitfires. By 1944 squadrons were re-equipping with the Griffon engined Mk XIV, but until the end of the war the older Mk IX was still considered a very good fighter. In fact many Mk Vs continued in secondary roles on the front line.

Or for the Americans, the P-51, where P-51B and P-51D variants, despite fairly significant differences, stayed in service until VE-Day, and the later K model as well.

So, especially considering the nature of the war, Mk II and Mk III Vipers probably served alongside each other, Galactica is very new in B&C so probably left dock with a wing of new fighters on board. The majority of the fleet would continue to use Mk IIs, or even Mk Is.
Old November 28 2012, 03:29 PM   #21
Retu
Lieutenant Commander

USS KG5 wrote: View Post
BenRoethig wrote: View Post
Candlelight wrote: View Post
http://en.battlestarwiki.org/wiki/Viper_Mark_III

Introduced in Blood and Chrome. Very similar to the Mk II so I didn't spot it at first. The fuselage seems more bulky, the cockpit canopy seems more rounded and the wings slightly larger.

Didn't think we'd see anything else but I thought this was a nice easter egg considering it'll probably be the last BSG we'll see for a while.

Does raise the question why Mk IIs are still being used in Razor...
Bunch of possible reasons: attrition, airframe fatigue, not enough IIIs to go to all squadrons. Real world, we had two squadrons of A-7s still flying in the Gulf even though the Hornet had entered service 8 years early. More recently, Navy/Marine F/A-18 squadrons have switched from C models to A+ because the Alpha+ had more airframe life than the charlie stockpile. Plus, newer pilots tend to get older gear.
Good examples.

Something slightly older - look at Spitfires. By 1944 squadrons were re-equipping with the Griffon engined Mk XIV, but until the end of the war the older Mk IX was still considered a very good fighter. In fact many Mk Vs continued in secondary roles on the front line.

Or for the Americans, the P-51, where P-51B and P-51D variants, despite fairly significant differences, stayed in service until VE-Day, and the later K model as well.

So, especially considering the nature of the war, Mk II and Mk III Vipers probably served alongside each other, Galactica is very new in B&C so probably left dock with a wing of new fighters on board. The majority of the fleet would continue to use Mk IIs, or even Mk Is.
Yep, switching to a new fighter type isn't instantaneous. In the late 90s, Finnish Air Force had three different fighters in service. Swedish J 35 Draken, Russian Mig-21 bis and the new F-18-C Hornet. Drakens and Migs were phased out during the next three or four years.
-Sir William Bragg