Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old November 24 2012, 04:20 PM   #16
the G-man
Commodore

Re: RIP Larry Hagman

Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
Fuck.
Fuck you, cancer.
Yeah, too bad he didn't die of a heart attack or stroke or liver failure instead. Then this would be good news.

But, seriously, the man was 80 years old. Cancer at that age is simply one of the possible side effects of aging and the body shutting down. It's sad for his family but it's no more tragic than other way someone can die of old age.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2012, 05:22 PM   #17
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Terrible news. I thought his cancer was in remission and he was doing better.

RIP
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2012, 05:54 PM   #18
cardinal biggles
THE ZEPPO

Send a message via ICQ to cardinal biggles Send a message via AIM to cardinal biggles Send a message via Yahoo to cardinal biggles

the G-man wrote: View Post
Fuck.
Fuck you, cancer.
Yeah, too bad he didn't die of a heart attack or stroke or liver failure instead. Then this would be good news.

But, seriously, the man was 80 years old. Cancer at that age is simply one of the possible side effects of aging and the body shutting down. It's sad for his family but it's no more tragic than other way someone can die of old age.
Hagman had been diagnosed with throat cancer, and received treatment during filming of the first season of the new Dallas, and had finished treatment with an excellent prognosis, so yes this was surprising.
cardinal biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2012, 06:05 PM   #19
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Fuck.
Fuck you, cancer.

Explain to me, what you think the word 'subtle' means?
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2012, 06:33 PM   #20
Relayer1
Commodore

Sad. Very sad.

Wonder how much filming of season two he had done ? Hope they can use it - I can't think of a better tribute.

I'll have a bourbon and branch please darlin'. Here's to you Larry !
Old November 24 2012, 06:37 PM   #21
Robert D. Robot
Captain

Gil T.Azell wrote: View Post
Fuck.
Fuck you, cancer.
Agree 110%.

R.I.P. Captain Tony Nelson
I never watched Dallas, but I sure watched "I Dream of Jeannie". Larry Hagman had a good run as far as creating a pair of iconic TV characters to entertain all of us. R.I.P.

The clip of the pilot episode posted here threw me for a minute.... especially Jeannie's 'purple' bottle. Tony's mission on Stardust One was a B&W episode and the bottle was a smokey green with gold pattern of twining leaves for the entire first season... no purple until Season 2.
Robert D. Robot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2012, 07:54 PM   #22
the G-man
Commodore

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Fuck.
Fuck you, cancer.

Explain to me, what you think the word 'subtle' means?
Im glad I could help you learn a new word, today, but what does increasing your word power have to do with Hagman?
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2012, 08:22 PM   #23
Warp Core Breach
Commodore

Well shit.
Warp Core Breach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2012, 08:56 PM   #24
billcosby
Commodore

Relayer1 wrote: View Post
Wonder how much filming of season two he had done ?
I've been trying to look into this - there doesn't seem to be any concrete reports of how many episodes were in the can. It premieres in late January and that's only two months from now... dare I say it, it's safe to say that he'd be there for the first few... maybe even half.

I wonder if... in his state of health if he and the producers didn't anticipate any of this and film a video will for the show or something... imagine if the show were to continue for years? I'm sure his (the actor's) eventual death had come up in logistical planning. I'm sure the writers are scrambling now.

Just so sad to have it happen right now. But I've read that Larry was happy to have his family all together for Thanksgiving...

billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2012, 08:58 PM   #25
Agent Richard07
Admiral

I found this...

Filming was in progress on the sixth episode of season two, which is set to begin airing Jan. 28, the network said.

There was no immediate comment from Warner or TNT on how the series would deal with Hagman’s loss.
Source
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2012, 09:24 PM   #26
Mistral
Vice Admiral

Major Nelson has retired. RIP.

Mistral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2012, 09:35 PM   #27
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive

It's highly likely that the writers of the series had built in a contingency plan in case something like this happened. Showrunners have done same for far less major a concern. Whether or not the contingency plan could work/be implemented after episode 206 is the big question.

But now I'm also just as bummed we won't get to see JR's further schemes this season.

Here's a video clip I've posted before, "The best of JR Ewing"

Old November 24 2012, 09:52 PM   #28
cardinal biggles
THE ZEPPO

Send a message via ICQ to cardinal biggles Send a message via AIM to cardinal biggles Send a message via Yahoo to cardinal biggles

Nobody got shoved into the Southfork swimming pool last season, did they? They really need to bring that back.

cardinal biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2012, 01:09 AM   #29
foxhot
Fleet Captain

Full disclosure: I never was a DALLAS fan, so J.R. as a character never caught much of my attention. But I was a younger age when I DREAM OF JEANNIE came out and very much enjoyed the bumblings of Majors Nelson and Healy.

Hagman's early career has a standout role as President Henry Fonda's interpreter in FAIL-SAFE. He also had a terrific part as a
closeted Democratic rival to John Travolta in PRIMARY COLORS. In the 70s he even directed the little-seen sequel to THE BLOB.

But despite all that, I think we could best honor Mr. Hagman by taking his expert advice from 1978's SUPERMAN. I hereby suggest everybody reading this post give the person you love a vigorous chest massage, followed by extensive mouth-to-mouth resuscitation. If Larry was willing to do it for Valerie Perrine, how can we do no less in his memory?

Rest in peace, sir.....
foxhot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2012, 02:46 AM   #30
Keith1701
Rear Admiral

ManOnTheWave wrote: View Post
It was good to see him on Dallas recently. I'm sorry to see him go.
Rest in Peace, Larry~~~~You will be missed!!!!
Keith1701 is offline   Reply With Quote