Orci Drops Rangers Project
By: T'Bonz on Sep 22

Retro Review: Image in the Sand
By: Michelle on Sep 20

Star Trek: Shadows Of Tyranny Casting Call
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

USS Vengeance And More Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old November 21 2012, 03:13 AM   #1
LobsterAfternoon
Commander

Do flaws make good characters great?

I was thinking earlier about, generally speaking, what makes for interesting characters. Obviously the idea of them seeming like real people is key, but to boil it down further, what makes them seem real? Is it their flaws? The great Trek characters are all pretty flawed:

Kirk: Cocky
Spock: Lies to himself about how logical he is, sometimes refuses to see the value in emotion
McCoy: Hot tempered

Picard: Distant
Data: Doesn't understand the emotions of others

Is being flawed/showing flaws what separates great characters like these from fun but less beloved characters like Sulu or Riker?
LobsterAfternoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2012, 03:26 AM   #2
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: Do flaws make good characters great?

The occasional irregularity, maybe.

Too many flaws make characters WEAK.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2012, 03:33 AM   #3
LobsterAfternoon
Commander

Where do you draw the line? Is Reg Barclay too flawed to be a good character? What about Quark?
LobsterAfternoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2012, 03:39 AM   #4
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

Kai Winn is a great character and it is all about her flaws. Dukat is an utter sociopath which is surely a huge flaw and he is an epic character.

I think people admire the flaws of villains but you have tread carefully with the flaws of heroes.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2012, 03:48 AM   #5
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

It's not just about being flawed. It's about being flesh-and-blood human beings, with vices and virtues, strengths and weaknesses, conflicting emotions and priorities, moments of determination and moments of doubt.

That was the great thing about Kirk. He wasn't just a perfect paragon of virtue. He lost his temper sometimes, could be plagued by guilt or doubt, but he could also be cool under pressure and maintain a sense of humor most of the time. He was a complete character who sweated and bled and made mistakes sometimes, but always came through the end.
Old November 21 2012, 05:06 AM   #6
JiNX-01
Admiral

View JiNX-01's Twitter Profile

LobsterAfternoon wrote: View Post
Where do you draw the line? Is Reg Barclay too flawed to be a good character? What about Quark?
Barclay was my favorite because he was flawed.
-- Mahatma Gandhi --
JiNX-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2012, 09:58 AM   #7
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

teacake wrote: View Post
you have tread carefully with the flaws of heroes
You can't go there in every episode.

Letting Picard be a pompous opinionated blow-hard on occasion is interesting, leaving the door open to Jean-Luc's personal asylum for seven straight years would have been a bad idea.

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2012, 04:21 AM   #8
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

Dukat isn't a great character because he's a sociopath, he's a great character because of the way he talks the talk of a tragic hero and kind of almost convinces you he's not a sociopath, if you stop paying attention to his actions.

It's not flaws that make a character great. It's the greater picture of the character, the pattern of behavior that in one situation is a virtue and in another situation is a flaw. It's what makes a character different and unique, known but unpredictable, as if they're a real person and you can't wait to see what they'll do next.

Picard by his age and old school intellectual aloofness makes him different from any other scifi hero, but nobody but Stewart could have made it work. Imagine anyone else sounding cool ordering earl grey tea.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2012, 11:01 PM   #9
emergencyfruit
Lieutenant Junior Grade

View emergencyfruit's Twitter Profile

LobsterAfternoon wrote: View Post
I was thinking earlier about, generally speaking, what makes for interesting characters. Obviously the idea of them seeming like real people is key, but to boil it down further, what makes them seem real? Is it their flaws? The great Trek characters are all pretty flawed:

Kirk: Cocky
Spock: Lies to himself about how logical he is, sometimes refuses to see the value in emotion
McCoy: Hot tempered

Picard: Distant
Data: Doesn't understand the emotions of others

Is being flawed/showing flaws what separates great characters like these from fun but less beloved characters like Sulu or Riker?
I don't see them as flaws. Calling them flaws implies that they would be stronger, more admirable, or generally better people without these traits, which I don't think is true. We saw this exact argument unfold in "The Enemy Within" - all these characters need their "flaws" in order to be effective at their jobs and in their relationships. A non-cocky Kirk is one without the power of command.

I think it's the very fact that so many of the characters are at peace with their traits that make them engaging and interesting. Instead of angst-ing over their flaws (Spock and Data excepted, on some level), they put them to good use, something we all can aspire to.
emergencyfruit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2012, 03:05 PM   #10
bbailey861
Admiral

Character flaws and character traits make good characters real. That makes for a much more enjoyable read. None of us are perfect and it is good (sometimes) if there are things we see in the characters that we also may see (or want to see) in ourselves.
bbailey861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2012, 10:07 PM   #11
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Depends on the flaw and how its used. Cable TV in particular sure is in love with flawed characters so they've become symbolic of "better" drama.

Kirk being cocky wasn't a signal flaw for him because it never seemed to cause him inordinant problems. His signal flaw, if he had one, was being overly dedicated to Starfleet, to the exception of his personal life. That theme popped up every so often as a source of angst for him.

But Kirk was not so much the standard flawed individual so much as a fascinatingly complicated person. Anyone who could be both too cocky and too serious has got a lot going on. Ditto for his girl-in-every-port attitude contrasted with his apparently sincere caring for his crew...that's not an emotionally shallow person there.

Spock was more of the flawed-type with the single, signal flaw, and that was also used to good effect. I see a lot more Spock types of characters vs Kirks in fiction. Probably easier to focus on the signal flaw of a Spock type when writing him vs trying to corrall all the complexity of a Kirk.

The one thing you don't want in a character (unless its a comedy) is a flaw that elicits contempt from the audience. A character can be a strutting egomaniac like Dukat and still have fans because he's not a weakling.

I'll have to drag in poor Anakin Skywalker one more time for a counter-example: he was also a psycho, but the wrong kind, a weakling - stupid and overly dependent on the emotional support of others. All Lucas had to do was write the guy like Dukat and cast an actor to suit, and maybe it still wouldn't have worked but it wouldn't have flopped quite so badly.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2012, 07:14 AM   #12
sbk1234
Rear Admiral

Not simply having flaws, but showing how the character can deal with them, and overcome and/or learn from them, I think, is one element that can make for a truly interesting character.

"It's a fucking TV show!" - Gary Lockwood
sbk1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2012, 07:27 PM   #13
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain

Kai Winn is a great character and it is all about her flaws. Dukat is an utter sociopath which is surely a huge flaw and he is an epic character.

I think people admire the flaws of villains but you have tread carefully with the flaws of heroes.
Was he? Dukat treated Kira's mother quite wel.
Drago-Kazov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2012, 10:34 PM   #14
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Drago-Kazov wrote: View Post

Was he? Dukat treated Kira's mother quite wel.
Oh yes, a most benevolent rapist and victimizer. No matter how gilded it is, a cage is still a cage.
Old November 25 2012, 12:02 AM   #15
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain

He is patially sociophatic, not completly.
Drago-Kazov is offline   Reply With Quote