Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Closed Thread

Old November 24 2012, 12:50 AM   #511
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Re: NFL 2012 - Drive to Glory

Timby wrote: View Post
Eh, I don't subscribe to the "you don't lose your starting job because of injury" line of thought. You start whomever gives you the best chance to win. Kaepernick shredded a defense that had been pretty rock-solid this year (seriously, he just abused Major Wright all night long, and Tillman was just getting clowned on every passing down) and he pretty clearly has the team around him, as opposed to Smith, who still has his opponents within the team. Start Kaepernick until he fucks up.
While I agree, it's generally at least the starter's job to lose. Alex Smith wasn't playing close to poorly and they were winning games. I agree that Kaepernick has a better upside, but there's always a risk when you change players so you generally avoid it.

But we'll see how it ends up.
Old November 24 2012, 02:09 AM   #512
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

Caligula wrote: View Post
Roger Wilco wrote: View Post
^^
I didn't see the game, but why do you think anyone would dispute that? Clearly the Jets are pathetic this year.
Clearly. I just hope that New England and their fans don't feel too superior for humiliating an already down Jets team. Their dominating win against my Indianapolis Colts last week impressed me. What they were able to do last night made me laugh, and I don't even like the Patriots!
I am a Patriots fan and was impressed by the 35 points in 2:14 time of possession.

Let's see how they do against Houston and SF the next couple of weeks before I get my hopes up.

They can outscore anyone potentially, but they can also get stopped by a solid defense that can pressure Brady.
Old November 24 2012, 03:24 AM   #513
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
Eh, I don't subscribe to the "you don't lose your starting job because of injury" line of thought. You start whomever gives you the best chance to win. Kaepernick shredded a defense that had been pretty rock-solid this year (seriously, he just abused Major Wright all night long, and Tillman was just getting clowned on every passing down) and he pretty clearly has the team around him, as opposed to Smith, who still has his opponents within the team. Start Kaepernick until he fucks up.
While I agree, it's generally at least the starter's job to lose. Alex Smith wasn't playing close to poorly and they were winning games. I agree that Kaepernick has a better upside, but there's always a risk when you change players so you generally avoid it.

As a Niners fan, I say just play em both every week until a pattern emerges or some other variable enters the equation.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Old November 24 2012, 03:31 AM   #514
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Venardhi wrote: View Post

As a Niners fan, I say just play em both every week until a pattern emerges or some other variable enters the equation.
That isn't really a viable plan, though, because only one person can take the first-team reps in practice -- you don't want to be splitting those.
Old November 24 2012, 04:38 AM   #515
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

Not long term obviously. For a another week or two though? Smith has never been consistently great, but as long as he stays confident he rarely drops below average. If Kaepernick just straight-up shits the bed in a couple weeks after starting every game, I'm not certain Smith would have it in him to step back up after seeing how quickly he was replaced.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Old November 24 2012, 09:29 AM   #516
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

That isn't really a viable plan, though, because only one person can take the first-team reps in practice -- you don't want to be splitting those.
Well given how well it's working for the Jets, I don't know why every team hasn't gone the 2 QB route...
Old November 24 2012, 03:34 PM   #517
Spider
Dirty Old Man

I'm sure the rule gifting the Texans that TD will be changed over the off season. But the Lions had plenty of chances to beat an already beat up Texans team. Right now the Texans are missing five starters from their defense, and likely all five will be out for next weeks Titans game. The Texans play a 3-4 hybrid defense, and right now they have 3 of their starting LBs out and two of the backup LBs out. We're down to playing 3rd string LBs. That's why the defense sucks. We're also out a starting CB and a backup CB.

Right now I'm just glad for a healthy Schaub, Johnson and Foster to make up for the points the defense gives up. Also, we're out our starting nose tackle on the D line.

spider's new motto: So many Lounge bars, so little time. - DAK

At my age you take what you can get. Or invent. - Mallory
Old November 25 2012, 12:44 AM   #518
Sheep
Vice Admiral

SmoothieX wrote: View Post
Well given how well it's working for the Jets, I don't know why every team hasn't gone the 2 QB route...
But the Jets had no QBs against New England, between "eat his ass" Sanchez and an injured Tebow.
Old November 25 2012, 11:16 PM   #519
archeryguy1701
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to archeryguy1701

Denver seriously benefitted from playing the Chiefs today... if they had gone up against any real team, Denver would have gotten themselves torn a new asshole. Fortuantely, the Chiefs seem to have an endzone allergy, which let the Broncos survive a pretty ugly offensive outing.

Sometimes you just gotta roll the hard six- Bill Adama
Old November 26 2012, 03:30 AM   #520
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

This may just be the vodka talking, but after the Rams' glorious victory today I'm ready to declare the Super Bowl ours for the taking.

Huzzah!!

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
Old November 26 2012, 03:37 AM   #521
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

Old November 26 2012, 03:43 AM   #522
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

So, anyone want to comment on Ray Rice's run?
Old November 26 2012, 04:42 AM   #523
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

Starbreaker wrote: View Post
Boy, Cutler does everything for that team!

The San Diego defense played fairly well all game, and then engaged in a public self-soiling for the ages.
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
Old November 26 2012, 04:48 AM   #524
the 4th Hanson bro
I shot my eye out!

That wasn't so much a run as a clinic on how not to tackle or even play defense. Pee-wee coaches will be showing that clip for years.
Old November 26 2012, 05:19 AM   #525
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

That was about as fun as a lube free prostate exam while throatfucking a rabid ferret.

I needed them to lose so NE could gain ground on them for the 2 seed and a bye, they already lost the tiebreaker due to a head to head loss.
Closed Thread