RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,914
Posts: 5,388,508
Members: 24,719
Currently online: 545
Newest member: victoria

TrekToday headlines

IDW Publishing November Trek Comic
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old November 24 2012, 12:50 AM   #511
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation
 
Alidar Jarok's Avatar
 
Location: Norfolk, VA
Re: NFL 2012 - Drive to Glory

Timby wrote: View Post
Eh, I don't subscribe to the "you don't lose your starting job because of injury" line of thought. You start whomever gives you the best chance to win. Kaepernick shredded a defense that had been pretty rock-solid this year (seriously, he just abused Major Wright all night long, and Tillman was just getting clowned on every passing down) and he pretty clearly has the team around him, as opposed to Smith, who still has his opponents within the team. Start Kaepernick until he fucks up.
While I agree, it's generally at least the starter's job to lose. Alex Smith wasn't playing close to poorly and they were winning games. I agree that Kaepernick has a better upside, but there's always a risk when you change players so you generally avoid it.

But we'll see how it ends up.
__________________
When on Romulus, Do as the Romulans
Alidar Jarok is offline  
Old November 24 2012, 02:09 AM   #512
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral
 
SmoothieX's Avatar
 
Location: Massachusetts
Re: NFL 2012 - Drive to Glory

Caligula wrote: View Post
Roger Wilco wrote: View Post
^^
I didn't see the game, but why do you think anyone would dispute that? Clearly the Jets are pathetic this year.
Clearly. I just hope that New England and their fans don't feel too superior for humiliating an already down Jets team. Their dominating win against my Indianapolis Colts last week impressed me. What they were able to do last night made me laugh, and I don't even like the Patriots!
I am a Patriots fan and was impressed by the 35 points in 2:14 time of possession.

Let's see how they do against Houston and SF the next couple of weeks before I get my hopes up.

They can outscore anyone potentially, but they can also get stopped by a solid defense that can pressure Brady.
SmoothieX is offline  
Old November 24 2012, 03:24 AM   #513
Venardhi
Vice Admiral
 
Venardhi's Avatar
 
Location: Constant transit
Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi
Re: NFL 2012 - Drive to Glory

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
Timby wrote: View Post
Eh, I don't subscribe to the "you don't lose your starting job because of injury" line of thought. You start whomever gives you the best chance to win. Kaepernick shredded a defense that had been pretty rock-solid this year (seriously, he just abused Major Wright all night long, and Tillman was just getting clowned on every passing down) and he pretty clearly has the team around him, as opposed to Smith, who still has his opponents within the team. Start Kaepernick until he fucks up.
While I agree, it's generally at least the starter's job to lose. Alex Smith wasn't playing close to poorly and they were winning games. I agree that Kaepernick has a better upside, but there's always a risk when you change players so you generally avoid it.

But we'll see how it ends up.
As a Niners fan, I say just play em both every week until a pattern emerges or some other variable enters the equation.
__________________
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline  
Old November 24 2012, 03:31 AM   #514
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE
 
Timby's Avatar
 
Re: NFL 2012 - Drive to Glory

Venardhi wrote: View Post
Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
Timby wrote: View Post
Eh, I don't subscribe to the "you don't lose your starting job because of injury" line of thought. You start whomever gives you the best chance to win. Kaepernick shredded a defense that had been pretty rock-solid this year (seriously, he just abused Major Wright all night long, and Tillman was just getting clowned on every passing down) and he pretty clearly has the team around him, as opposed to Smith, who still has his opponents within the team. Start Kaepernick until he fucks up.
While I agree, it's generally at least the starter's job to lose. Alex Smith wasn't playing close to poorly and they were winning games. I agree that Kaepernick has a better upside, but there's always a risk when you change players so you generally avoid it.

But we'll see how it ends up.
As a Niners fan, I say just play em both every week until a pattern emerges or some other variable enters the equation.
That isn't really a viable plan, though, because only one person can take the first-team reps in practice -- you don't want to be splitting those.
Timby is offline  
Old November 24 2012, 04:38 AM   #515
Venardhi
Vice Admiral
 
Venardhi's Avatar
 
Location: Constant transit
Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi
Re: NFL 2012 - Drive to Glory

Not long term obviously. For a another week or two though? Smith has never been consistently great, but as long as he stays confident he rarely drops below average. If Kaepernick just straight-up shits the bed in a couple weeks after starting every game, I'm not certain Smith would have it in him to step back up after seeing how quickly he was replaced.
__________________
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline  
Old November 24 2012, 09:29 AM   #516
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral
 
SmoothieX's Avatar
 
Location: Massachusetts
Re: NFL 2012 - Drive to Glory

Timby wrote: View Post
That isn't really a viable plan, though, because only one person can take the first-team reps in practice -- you don't want to be splitting those.
Well given how well it's working for the Jets, I don't know why every team hasn't gone the 2 QB route...
SmoothieX is offline  
Old November 24 2012, 03:34 PM   #517
Spider
Dirty Old Man
 
Spider's Avatar
 
Location: Lost in time
Re: NFL 2012 - Drive to Glory

I'm sure the rule gifting the Texans that TD will be changed over the off season. But the Lions had plenty of chances to beat an already beat up Texans team. Right now the Texans are missing five starters from their defense, and likely all five will be out for next weeks Titans game. The Texans play a 3-4 hybrid defense, and right now they have 3 of their starting LBs out and two of the backup LBs out. We're down to playing 3rd string LBs. That's why the defense sucks. We're also out a starting CB and a backup CB.

Right now I'm just glad for a healthy Schaub, Johnson and Foster to make up for the points the defense gives up. Also, we're out our starting nose tackle on the D line.
__________________
Go and have another beer, Grog Mod. - Orac Zen

spider's new motto: So many Lounge bars, so little time. - DAK

At my age you take what you can get. Or invent. - Mallory
Spider is offline  
Old November 25 2012, 12:44 AM   #518
Sheep
Vice Admiral
 
Sheep's Avatar
 
Location: Chicago
Re: NFL 2012 - Drive to Glory

SmoothieX wrote: View Post
Timby wrote: View Post
That isn't really a viable plan, though, because only one person can take the first-team reps in practice -- you don't want to be splitting those.
Well given how well it's working for the Jets, I don't know why every team hasn't gone the 2 QB route...
But the Jets had no QBs against New England, between "eat his ass" Sanchez and an injured Tebow.
__________________
Hating the anti-intellectual movement since before it was actually a movement.
Sheep is offline  
Old November 25 2012, 11:16 PM   #519
archeryguy1701
Rear Admiral
 
archeryguy1701's Avatar
 
Location: Cheyenne, WY
Send a message via Yahoo to archeryguy1701
Re: NFL 2012 - Drive to Glory

Denver seriously benefitted from playing the Chiefs today... if they had gone up against any real team, Denver would have gotten themselves torn a new asshole. Fortuantely, the Chiefs seem to have an endzone allergy, which let the Broncos survive a pretty ugly offensive outing.
__________________
"If it weren't for stupid, difficult races, there'd simply be no point to living."

Sometimes you just gotta roll the hard six- Bill Adama
archeryguy1701 is offline  
Old November 26 2012, 03:30 AM   #520
1001001
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!
 
1001001's Avatar
 
Location: People's Gaypublic of Drugafornia
Re: NFL 2012 - Drive to Glory

This may just be the vodka talking, but after the Rams' glorious victory today I'm ready to declare the Super Bowl ours for the taking.

Huzzah!!

__________________
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline  
Old November 26 2012, 03:37 AM   #521
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral
 
Starbreaker's Avatar
 
Location: Chattanooga, TN
View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile
Re: NFL 2012 - Drive to Glory

Starbreaker is offline  
Old November 26 2012, 03:43 AM   #522
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation
 
Alidar Jarok's Avatar
 
Location: Norfolk, VA
Re: NFL 2012 - Drive to Glory

So, anyone want to comment on Ray Rice's run?
__________________
When on Romulus, Do as the Romulans
Alidar Jarok is offline  
Old November 26 2012, 04:42 AM   #523
1001001
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!
 
1001001's Avatar
 
Location: People's Gaypublic of Drugafornia
Re: NFL 2012 - Drive to Glory

Starbreaker wrote: View Post
Boy, Cutler does everything for that team!





Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
So, anyone want to comment on Ray Rice's run?
The San Diego defense played fairly well all game, and then engaged in a public self-soiling for the ages.
__________________
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline  
Old November 26 2012, 04:48 AM   #524
the 4th Hanson bro
I shot my eye out!
 
the 4th Hanson bro's Avatar
 
Location: the 4th hanson bro
Re: NFL 2012 - Drive to Glory

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
So, anyone want to comment on Ray Rice's run?
That wasn't so much a run as a clinic on how not to tackle or even play defense. Pee-wee coaches will be showing that clip for years.
__________________
-"bro is right (take note of that, because I'll probably never say it again )" - Orac Zen
-"Treasure my ass!" - star
-"I want medical science to advance sufficiently so that I can bear your offspring." - Holdfast to me.
the 4th Hanson bro is offline  
Old November 26 2012, 05:19 AM   #525
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral
 
SmoothieX's Avatar
 
Location: Massachusetts
Re: NFL 2012 - Drive to Glory

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
So, anyone want to comment on Ray Rice's run?
That was about as fun as a lube free prostate exam while throatfucking a rabid ferret.

I needed them to lose so NE could gain ground on them for the 2 seed and a bye, they already lost the tiebreaker due to a head to head loss.
SmoothieX is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:44 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.